Do you collect masters or factions?

surly

Simple as that :D

Speaking for myself I prefer picking specific masters and try to expand my collection around them rather than collecting factions. Main reason being that although I like many parts of mosts factions, I don't like every aspect and miniature of them, but that's just my personal feeling about this issue ;)

So, how do you expand your collection and how did you start?

Special points to those who only have and play one or two masters and collect every option for them (Nicodem or Marcus come to mind) :)

• Like 2

I started collecting Masters, but once you get to 3 masters from the same faction you are really collecting for the faction. And as you often want to get to the otehr models frpom a masters box, you might as well buy the master. And once you own the master, you might as well play them...

My personal best was the ressurectionist faction at the end of last edition. I owned over 100 ss worth of models,  but no masters, and whilst I had Molly (a henhchman at the time) I couldn't field more than 24 ss worth of my models with her.

Thank you Marcus and Leveticus!

• Like 3

I started with Perdita and Seamus, to have two boxes of different factions and play against my girlfriend. Then, M2E came around, and she fell in love with Gremlins. One of my factions was "obsolete", and I decided to play Guild instead of Ressers.

Now, I only collect Guild. I would love to play other factions, but I'm a glutton and I need some way to restrain myself. So I will only buy models which I can play in Guild until I have them all. Also, my time to play is limited, and it much easier to decide what to play if I don't have to decide what faction to play beforehand.

• Like 3

I'm mostly focusing on everything, which pretty much means I'm not focusing anything. When I'm buying new minis I'm usually looking for something to go with specific crew, but I end up buying about 5 other things too. The net result is that last time I counted I had over 1000ss worth of models, and that was quite a few boxes ago.

• Like 2

Thank you Marcus and Leveticus!

Good call on Levi, he's also basically a one-man-faction :D

Although I have to admit that I think that's quite appealing actually, always having the same master and only switching among all his options seems pretty cool imo.

Beside Levi I guess the same can be said about Marcus and Nico, as already mentioned. Anyone else that would fit into that description?

I started with Perdita and Seamus, to have two boxes of different factions and play against my girlfriend. Then, M2E came around, and she fell in love with Gremlins. One of my factions was "obsolete", and I decided to play Guild instead of Ressers.

Now, I only collect Guild. I would love to play other factions, but I'm a glutton and I need some way to restrain myself. So I will only buy models which I can play in Guild until I have them all. Also, my time to play is limited, and it much easier to decide what to play if I don't have to decide what faction to play beforehand.

Imo Guild and Gremlins are probably among the "best" (can't think of better word) factions to collect, since most models can interact with the others. Compared to something like Outcasts ... Hamelin, Levi, Jack Daw ... well, not so much. They simply don't share that many models imo.

The net result is that last time I counted I had over 1000ss worth of models, and that was quite a few boxes ago.

... painted? 0_o

Imo Guild and Gremlins are probably among the "best" (can't think of better word) factions to collect, since most models can interact with the others. Compared to something like Outcasts ... Hamelin, Levi, Jack Daw ... well, not so much. They simply don't share that many models imo.

Have to disagree from a form point (rather than a fluff point), the outcast models do work together really well. They might not have story linkls, but Abominations and Jack have soem nice links and so forth.

Nico gets good use of his faction, but he only works with Ressurectionists really. Its only Marcus and Leveticus that have such wide hiring pools. (Zoriada just has a wider than normal Merc pool)

(Current collection 372 models, totalling 1659 ss, with 232 models painted.)

• Like 1

Yes... :P

Seriously though, I started by collecting Masters, starting with Pandora before moving to Zoraida, Marcus and Lucius. After that my collection was so large that I just took whatever master I felt like, right up until late last year when I made an effort to focus on the Faction I had most of - Neverborn. 

Then starting this year I just decided to play every Master in the game as part of my "Rainbow Challenge" (which I really need to update my blog about).

Now however, I'm focusing on Factions. At the moment it's Outcasts, but next year I'm going to move onto Ressers. That is, of course, until I decided I've had enough of that and pick another Faction. ;)

• Like 2

"Do you collect masters or factions?"

Yes!  Well, neither, actually.  I am a magpie.

I started buying models to assemble and paint with no plans to play, so I bought a couple of the starter sets with masters/crews that looked interesting.  Then I discovered metal was being replaced by plastic and I really like metal so I bought more starters to make sure I had some for future painting.  

Then a friend introduced me to the fluff and rules so I started buying more models from any crew I cold imagine possibly wanting to play.  

Then I learned to play, spent a bunch of time reading through the big rule book and picked a master/faction to focus on for play.  Now I prioritize two factions with an eye towards game play--but I have a list of a handful of metal models I don't own yet that I will purchase as opportunity presents.  

• Like 1

I collect Guild as a Faction and various other individual Masters, but mostly centered around stuff to support Guild (Ramos for Hoffman toys, for example).  I'd probably prefer to collect Masters (though the Guild Masters are all quite distinct, except maybe Justice), but practically speaking, model overlap makes it far more trivial to add most masters to a faction than to add an out of faction master.  I mean, you could play Ressers and not own Seamus, but whether or not he's played, I suspect most Resser players have him in their collection.

I used to collect a faction but have since switched to collecting masters. I did this because some of the masters for of the faction where played less often to never, like Marcus.

Though I still recommend to people to look at what non master specific models you like and might want to get, key example is the 10 Thunder Archer, but you do not need every master in X faction.  I find 3 to be a good rough number for any faction for adaptability and difference in play style.

I collected Masters initially - Colette and the Viktorias. I found myself drawn (fluff-wise) to the various Henchmen in M1E, and picked up Molly, Von Schill, Lucius and Kaeris in short order. Unfortunately, running Henchmen as leaders in those days was a pretty limited and frustrating exercise, so I picked up various Masters to accompany them on their travels.

At some point, I found an eBay auction for a collection of basically the whole Outcast faction (as it was at the time, including Gremlins) and picked that up. That made me shift my thinking towards collecting factions - M2E reinforced this by making cross-thematic hiring much more flexible and rewarding. I've now got most of the Masters in the game.

• Like 1

I used to be Masters initailly but now its pretty much factions, especially Arcanists at the moment

I get the impression this is the way it goes for most players. You start with a Master, buy a few more crew boxes to expand your Masters options and before you know it, you're playing a good chunk of the Faction. 

I get the impression this is the way it goes for most players. You start with a Master, buy a few more crew boxes to expand your Masters options and before you know it, you're playing a good chunk of the Faction.

Then you realize that one (or more) of your masters can hire out of faction models, so you get those.

After a while (could be months, could be minutes) you realize that out of faction master X looks pretty cool and would work with your already purchased out of faction models, and now you're on the way to 2+ factions...

Then ALL THE THINGS!

:)

• Like 1

I used to collect a faction but have since switched to collecting masters. I did this because some of the masters for of the faction where played less often to never, like Marcus.

Though I still recommend to people to look at what non master specific models you like and might want to get, key example is the 10 Thunder Archer, but you do not need every master in X faction.  I find 3 to be a good rough number for any faction for adaptability and difference in play style.

I think its worth mentioning the distinction between playing and collecting when it comes to masters.  I'm a huge fan of playing masters, but it's rather difficult to do so without collecting factions.  You have to go rather out of your way to have a good selection for certain masters without nabbing a few extra masters in the faction along the way.

Then you realize that one (or more) of your masters can hire out of faction models, so you get those.

After a while (could be months, could be minutes) you realize that out of faction master X looks pretty cool and would work with your already purchased out of faction models, and now you're on the way to 2+ factions...

Then ALL THE THINGS!

:)

I've seen a mapping of the factions in regard to the dual faction masters, but its probably worth figuring out the one way back doors through the hiring exceptions.  Stopping the spread requires mapping every route of contagion.  :D

I only got into this amazing game when 2e came out, so I started with one crew box/faction - Seamus. After buying a few more Rezzer models like the university box and the Nicodem box, I decided to try another faction so I picked up the Lilith box. What was I thinking??? That just opened the door and now I'm fiend for almost all of the factions! I can't help myself. The models are simply just fantastic and the game itself is awesome, so now all bets are off.

I started faction, solely neverborn in 1.5, then became a henchmen so picked up lady j boxset, then a friend sold some ressers and then well i cant think of many other excuses,but suffice to say of masters released i no longer have Hoffman (gave him away) i have all the others :/, mistakes were made. Although this year i aimed to do the rainbow and take every faction to a diff tournament and qualify for masters. Has been a fun year

Started with masters, which has kind of led to faction collecting; e.g. Pandora leads to Lillith which is going to lead to Jakob Lynch... which will then led to Ten Thunders! Well, that's what I have planned anyway. If I had to choose, I'd say I go for which masters I like the (model) look of, as opposed to playing/collecting any specific faction.

I think Wyrd have done a great job of making each faction appealing though, which is part of the fun. I really like Lady J M2E edition, in fact it was her ninja-style artwork that got me into Malifaux with the Death Marshalls. But then Mei Feng for Arcanists looks absolutely awesome, as does Pandora and Lillith, but you can't forget the Viktorias and the rezzers .... Oh you get the idea.

(I've started with Pandora and once finished will be buying Lillith, but as I live in the UK I am slightly constricted by stock levels. That doesn't bother me too much though, as said every faction has something I like, and coming from GW's Warhammer, the prices and number of models per crew is an absolute joy.)

I've started with master collecting back in 1.5. My first three choices were Zoraida, Ophelia (as Zoraida's hench) and Marcus, I really liked their swampy, voodoo concept.
Before my first order arrived some guy was selling his Viktorias box so I had my first game with those...
My first painted crew was Ophelia and I learned to play her competitively and I played Zoraida in some friendly experimental games (still haven't finished painting her crew as I've replaced silurids with new plastic models).
I've had my butt kicked with Marcus alot and I kind of finished playing with him but I haven't finished buying beasts for him.
Anyway I really liked Leveticus in the fluff so I got everything for him from the same guy I've got Viktorias from and that's a lot of stuff.
Fortunately I haven't branched toward Ramos and Hoffman, but I've got into resser stuff and started getting stuff for Molly against the warnings from fellow players that she was crap back then, but I ignored it because I just liked her fluff.
I also bought some stuff for Lilith and started building proxies for terror tots, Lilitu, Lelu and Mature Naphilim.

So the M2E comes out and I decided that I want one whole faction and I couldn't decide between Gremlins and Neverborn.
I've first set on getting the whole gremlin faction, but they were getting released really really slowly and I really couldn't get myself to like the Brewmaster. So I decided to get all of them besides the Brewmaster and get all of the Neverborn besides Collodi and Dreamer because they were too creepy for me and there weren't any art previews for them out at that point...
At the moment I have 18 masters (one of them is a proxy crew for Shen Long and Smoky Tara is the newest purchase) . Last year I've branched a bit into all of the factions and soon I'm getting Kirai as the 19th master and I have some stuff for Colette which will be my 20th master as soon as I build a proxy with some help from a friends TTB sprue and the new performer stuff gets released.

I'll probably stop getting new masters after my 20th master for a while and I'm not getting any new Neverborn masters (but I'll probably have all of those in a couple of years) until I paint everyhting I already have and two of the gremlins that have no stuff out at this point (Ulix and Mah Tucket). After getting all of the Gremlins I want and Neverborn I will cap at 25 masters.
Interesting thing is I've bought some stuff anew when it got re-released in plastic: Marcus, Ophelia, Viks, Leveticus and I'll probably get the new Molly since most of the stuff I've got for her crew are plastic minis. I'm not sure about getting a new Shen Long crew because I love my proxies, except I would get the man himself, but since he won't get released as a single mini I'm not sure I'll buy the whole box.

I'm a very slow painter but I'm getting better at it and that could also mean faster since I've decided to finish at least two minis a week. At least I'm more organized about this hobby and I've become happy with my sculpting and converting skills.
Seems like owning a lot of different crews inspires me to paint more, I just had to get enough of them to start painting more.

About the same as most here, started with Nekima for another game...saw the setting but didn't settle on it for a while. Didn't like the look of the nephilims at first but they grew on me. Ordered the first book and my wife really digged the artwork...she wanted Raspy and the viks.  This started the collection. By now we have...alot of masters and their minions from all factions except 10-Thunders.