PlastcraftGames Terrain

Vile the mad

As promised, some pictures of a table built with Plastcraft buildings for Malifaux, Carnevale, and the latest for Bolt Action:

2015-02-13%2009.49.43_zps7ztrkrzx.jpg

2015-02-13%2009.49.56_zpsww4lrifw.jpg

2015-02-13%2009.52.29_zpsaotujfri.jpg

2015-02-13%2009.52.43_zpszobf9aii.jpg

2015-02-13%2009.52.58_zpstycbfdyg.jpg

The Bolt Action ones are easily accesible to their interiors, and if they disturbs you for measuring or LOS, you can quickly remove the bulk of the building, leaving only its base, to put it back exactly on its place later. That was really helpful during the game!

And as you can see on the pictures, all of them merge really well on the same table!

The Plastcraft terrain doesn't look bad, but after watching EngineerJeff's YouTube video it looks like it's just die-cut, textured rigid PVC foam that they're selling for $30 a set. 

Assembling and painting a kit is less time consuming than scratch-building and painting terrain, but even with time saved, the Plastcraft stuff is not a good value.  

Am I overlooking something? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Plastcraft terrain doesn't look bad, but after watching EngineerJeff's YouTube video it looks like it's just die-cut, textured rigid PVC foam that they're selling for $30 a set.

Assembling and painting a kit is less time consuming than scratch-building and painting terrain, but even with time saved, the Plastcraft stuff is not a good value.

Am I overlooking something?

There's several reasons why.

Time. Some people lack the hobby time to dedicate to DIY terrain.

Ability. Some people just cannot make good DIY terrain.

Convenience. Some people are willing to pay a premium for well designed terrain they just have to stick together and paint. 4grounds shows people will pay a higher premium if they don't have to paint it either.

• Like 1

Any chance we could get a photo or two of some of the scatter terrain next to a couple bases (30mm, 40mm, and 50mm) for scale?  I was contemplating having Nekima jumping over some of these as her rock doesn't fit in with the basing scheme I have for my Neverborn, but I haven't been able to find anything the shows these in close proximity to any models.

Any chance we could get a photo or two of some of the scatter terrain next to a couple bases (30mm, 40mm, and 50mm) for scale?  I was contemplating having Nekima jumping over some of these as her rock doesn't fit in with the basing scheme I have for my Neverborn, but I haven't been able to find anything the shows these in close proximity to any models.

I picked up the "not undertaker" set.  I'll try to post some pictures later.

• 1 month later...

I really like The textures the plasticraft products provide.  That's the most difficult/time consuming aspect of my scratchbuilds.  I have only actually held one of their Asian themed buildings in hand and the detail was nice, but I'm a little concerned about the material.  The main issue I have is that it seems too easy to accidentally crease or otherwise mar the surface and since my storage options are not ideal, I'm afraid they won't hold up over time. 

I also have the same issue with the cartoony stylization on their malifaux themed kits others have mentioned.

One other question, do these kits have playable interiors?  The thinner walls due to the material compared to terraclips and/or the more conventional foamcore buildings seems to be helpful for that, but are the kits made for it?

Miniature Market is selling the textured PVC from plasticraft.  If y'all think the material will hold up from your experience, I may grab some to use on my own scratch builds.  I also found general dimensions from the assembly instructions for these kits on their website so I may attempt to make my own, less stylized, versions of these puppies.

As for the mention of the cost of these kits, being able to build detailed terrain with a little glue and paint is a big deal for folks that either have no inclination to build their own stuff or for those that just don't have the time.  The dollars spent are way worth the time saved.  And this is from someone who really prefers to make his own stuff.  While I can make several tables worth of terrain from about $50 of materials, it takes me months to do so, considering I have a job and family.  Being able to whip up a table worth of terrain in a couple days is pretty nice even if it'll cost a couple times more.

-DavicusPrime

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this post is a month or so down the threads lists, but I just picked up several of their japanese themed ones and will be messing with them once all my stuff gets unpacked here from the United States, they were just in a crate and crossed the pacific.

They seem to fit what I was hoping for, simple and lightweight. But I guess we will see once I get going on churning them out. I may use some method to keep the roofs off to make the interiors accessible. We will see.