9 masters, 4 faction, 3 crews each

D_acolyte

I have a crazy idea and that is to take 1 Maliflux bag form battlefoam, http://us.battlefoam.com/a-malifaux-bag-custom-load-out/, and have 9 masters, with 3 masters per a faction and 4 factions. As I have pondered this idea I figured I would ask people who they would choose and why.

My current list

ARC:

Colette, I love movement tricks

Kaeris, good range caster and crew works ok with the other two

Mei Feng, CC goodness

NB:

Pandora, I love the look of the woes

Dreamer, already half way there with all the woes so why not continue also I love Lord Chompybits

Lynch, different from all my other masters

10 Thunders

Mei Feng

Lynch

now this is hard because it is between Yan Lo and Misaki

RES or Outcast

Tara, because I want to use her as I have her nightmare model

the winner between Yan Lo and Misaki

Molly or Von Schill

What would your list be? Are there any you are trying to decide between? Anyone have thoughts on the ones I am debating on?

Not sure what I'd take, but for your choices, I'd go with Ressers/10T: Molly, Yan Lo, Tara. They can all make use of the Spirit models (ancestor and otherwise) and do well. Each plays differently and can do well. While I love Misaki she is basically a See Target -> Kill Target master in and of herself to me. Lynch can basically fill that role and still provide more synergy with his crew and selections. That's my opinion only, however. See what others have to say from their experience.

• Like 1

In terms of bag space, I'd say its easier to add a master to a faction than to add a faction to a master, but I have a similar love of combination variability.  10T feels like cheating, but Arcanists leave few options I suppose.  I'm pretty much in the same boat with my preferred factions, so I'd go with something like this:

Guild:

Sonnia

McMourning

McCabe

Outcasts:

Viktorias

Von Schill

Misaki

Arcanists:

Ramos

Colette

Mei Fang

10T.... 

Realistically though, I'd probably cut out Misaki, run 10T/Outcasts as 2 each and add another option to Guild or Arcanists, which is pretty much exactly what I've done.  Swapping Arcanists for Rezzers would let me use Tara/McMourning for more flexibility, but I don't really own much in the way of rezzer models.  

Of note, you can complete the challenge with just 7:

Guild:

McMourning

McCabe

Lucius

Neverborn:

Lucius

Lynch

* Wildcard1

Resser:

McMourning

Yan Lo

* Wildcard2

10T:

McCabe

Lynch

Yan Lo

• Like 1

If Arcs are one of the factions then another must be 10T otherwise it does not work, now if they would have made C Hoffmen dual faction instead of giving Arcs Ironside which seems to fulfill much the same roll as Mei on the surface that would have changed possible combinations.

Guild ->NB

Guild -> RES

NB ->Grem

Res -> Out

so if you did Lucius, McMorning and Zerodia or Tara you could do this as well without touching 10T, or if you did anyone as a 10T instead and then you could go out into other 10T without being hit by the requirement or the question acting as a constraint, so Shenlong becomes and option.

I am not sure how many masters Malifluax can add, I think they may have to many already, and I am not sure how many will be dual factions in the future.

Yep, agreed with Lunarsol- Guild and TT are the best/most flexible if you want dual factions, while Arcanists are the worst. The others all have two, so are more to flavor/which overlap.

Lucius is exceptional in overlapping with choices with McMourning, Lucas, and Lynch for what they can take in both factions.

If you want a little more flexibility, Outcasts can take a lot of Resser pieces (Tara can take Horrors, Jack can take Tormented, Leveticus can take undead (or constructs)).

9 Masters would be tough to fit into one Malifaux Bag, depending on which Masters you'd want to take. Currently my Breach bag contains 6 of the 7 Outcasts Masters. Levi's the only one I'm missing - even if I severely restrict his hiring pool to the essentials I still haven't been able to find room for him. I might try again later today though. See if there's some minis I can handle dropping. ;)

Why do you want 4 factions though? One or two is usual, three is most likely to be coincidental (dual factions) but four? Seems a bit over the top to me!

I'll be moving onto Ressers (or Gremlins? Can't decide) next year so here's my attempt. I'm changing your rules though - 6 Masters, three factions. ;)

Outcasts/Ressers/Ten Thunders

Tara

Yan Lo

Misaki

Jack Daw

Shenlong

Kirai

The only one I'm not sure about is Kirai, but otherwise that gives me some degree of mobility/resiliance/killing for each of the three factions. 

Partly for a mental exorcise partly because I have nightmare Tara and I hate having models collect dust. Also I think it makes for an interesting discussion.

I started with ARCs playing Rasputina then expanded out to Neverborn (Marcus in 1st ed was often a Neverborn by another name) and then I have 2 Ten Thunders and have picked up only a few models for them because I wanted to have some ability to run Ten Thunder crew that was not just faction X in name only which tends to be most of the 10T crews where I am. Finally I often tell people that after you get conferrable think of 1 or 2 masters in your factions that you think would be neat to try, lets face it Malifluax favor those that can switch out masters and adapt/create a list to the objective. Often I think to play a faction you need 3 masters just to be able to switch out when needed or when you feel like it.

in my box I have 5 acranist, 3 neverborn crews and a fair number of odd models (Thank you Marcus).

My biggest problem with the malifaux bag is what Large models I can fit in the pick and pluck.

I can get the whole Arcanist faction + a few extras in the bag, except when I go down to 50mm (and several of the 40mm) bases.  (and I can't get the nothing beast to fit in at all).

Personally I get more use out of having more models for the crew, than the extra master, but I'm fully aware that that is due to how I play. (To play a faction I'd say you need 150 ss worth of models rather than 3 masters, which is why the pool events at 100 ss are doable but force you to make compromises)

Mine are fairly easy to be honest, although many are duel faction I'd probably kit them out to play as their listed faction below but also provide options that might work as the secondary faction as many cross over anyway. 

Guild

Justice - Beatsticky goodness

Hoffman - My favorite Master to play, he's a no brainer

McCabe - This guy..... oh this guy!

Ressers

Nico - Support and Summoning

McMourning - Pure Filth

Yan Lo - He's pretty fun and it's an excuse to have the ancestors in the group

Outcasts

The Viks - More Beatsticky goodness, also my fave overall Master/s. Another no brainer

Von Schill - Good all round badass, does well at everything, does poorly at nothing. 

Tara - One of my fave masters and really fun to play with. 

Ten Thunders

Misaki - First ever master and she holds a place in my heart also.... NINJAS YO!  :D

Lynch - Prefer him as Neverborn but as there are only 4 factions 10T also works for me!

Shenlong - Haven't played him yet, looks awesome. Would put him in for the hell of it. Also Sensei Yu is just bent with Low River Style. 

So yeah... A fairly mixed bag of models but many of the crews can borrow stuff from each other which is great because it would save space. 

Having looked over the Masters and Factions I couldn't do this challenge. Of the 7 factions, only Neverborn and Ten Thunders hold more than 2 Masters that I like enough to buy. Two of the Factions (Guild and Gremlins) only have one master each that I like (McMourning and Zoraida, respectfully). I could get three masters out of Outcast if I just threw in a third for the sake of it (Misaki, Hamelin, and Levy I guess, but not a huge fan of him). 

This was actually a very difficult exercise for me. :(

Having looked over the Masters and Factions I couldn't do this challenge. Of the 7 factions, only Neverborn and Ten Thunders hold more than 2 Masters that I like enough to buy. Two of the Factions (Guild and Gremlins) only have one master each that I like (McMourning and Zoraida, respectfully). I could get three masters out of Outcast if I just threw in a third for the sake of it (Misaki, Hamelin, and Levy I guess, but not a huge fan of him). 

This for me too. Under my current (rather long term) plans I'll get 3+ masters from Arcanists for their own sake, Outcasts and Ten Thunders will qualify because I'll get some crew boxes for the exclusive models. I'm not saying I'll never field those masters, just that they are not the primary draw.

Guild

1) Sonnia (death by fire and my first master)

2) Lady Justice (when you just need to kill things)

3) Lucius (ordering all the things around)

Ressers

1) McMounring (I just love his fluff)

2) Molly (love her model)

3) Seamus (was a random pick)

Neverborn

1) Lynch (He seems fun)

2) Collodi (love his crew)

3) Lilith (see Lady Justice)

Gremlins

1) Sommer (Bring all the Gremlins)

2) Ophelia (shoot everything)

3) Wong (everything explodes!! Also he can bring out a glowy Killjoy is magic)

Guild:

McM

Lucius

McCabe

Resser:

McM

Tara

Yan Lo

Outcasts:

Tara

Misaki

Leveticus (for Resser model overlap)

TT:

McCabe

Misaki

Yan Lo

-->7 Masters.

Since 9 was the limit for this game,

Neverborn:

Lucius

Lynch

Zoraida

...though I'm not sure if TT getting 4 options and gremlins technically getting one is cheating, in which case, replace those two with mono NB options.

• Like 1

I'm definitely more of a victim of the "oh! shiny!" magpie syndrome myself.  I can't say there's anything in M2E I don't appreciate the design of, though I'm not particularly fond of the undead/body horror styles of Levy and a lot of the Ressers.  Of the factions, Guild is the one I like the look of everything the most (also most improved art direction in M2E, IMO) and I enjoy each of the masters for different reasons.  That said, I feel they're not all best in breed and will happily jump to another faction if it lets me enjoy something similar to a greater degree.  The prime victim of this for me is probably Lady J; a master who I really enjoy, but practically speaking when I'm motivated to play her, I'd rather just reach for the Viktorias instead.

Guild: 

McMourning / Lucius / C. Hoffman

Ressur

McMourning / Tara / Kirai

Outcast

Tara / Von Schill / Viks

Neverborn

Lucius / Lilith / Collodi

That being said, I'd only bring Lucius to bridge the gap and get me into neverborn... It's an interesting problem, though. Nice puzzle. Let's try again. 

Arcanists

Mei Feng / Colette / Kaeris

10 Thunders

Lucas McCabe / Mei Feng / Yan Lo

Guild

Lucas McCabe / McMourning / C. Hoffman

Ressurs

McMourning / Yan Lo / Molly

But then I'm only bringing Yan Lo to bridge into Ressurs....

There's gotta be one that is composed of all masters I actually want to play. One more go.

Neverborn

Lynch / Collodi / Lilith

Ten Thnuders

Lynch / Brew Master / Mei Feng

Arcanists

Mei Feng / Colette / Ramos

Gremlins

Brew Master / Ophelia / Ulix

I have no experience with the Gremlins, but I've played against them a ton- And those are the three that are most interesting to me. And 10thunders brewie sounds absolutely disgusting.

There's three different setups- like I said, this is a really interesting topic. Great food for thought.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the kind of thing i'll be doing.

My own list.

Arcanists.

Kaeris, rasputina, mei feng.

Guild.

Lucius, hoffman, indiana jones.

Neverborn,

Lucius, lilith then a choice lynch is the obvious one but i only really want his box for illuminated.

TT.

Mei feng, indi, lynch.

Will probably stop at 10 getting jack daw for outcasts.

• 3 weeks later...

There's  a neat diagram of it somewhere, but the factions make a nice hex circle around 10T, with Arcanists breaking the chain.  It would actually be totally complete if Tara and Ironsides didn't exist, Levi was Outcast/Resser, and say... Wong was Gremlin/Arcanist and Marcus was Arcanist/Outcast.

A little late, but I figure this was what you were referring to? With current masters Von Schill could have linked Arcanist and Marcus with the Gremlins... None of the others seem very fluffy to link past that.

2v8nz7o.jpg

• Like 4