Pulses and auras, blocking and LoS

DeleteAccount

Question

OK, just had a game with Sevorin where I had a very big rules cunondrum.

Basically, the Hungering darkness (Ht3) used the Consume Brilliance pulse, he considered that 2 illuminated behind 2 flesh constructs were not required to test because although the illuminated are in LoS of the hungering darkness, the pulse zone is broken by the flesh constructs body and the Ht of pulses and auras does not go down. I always operated on the premise that you only needed LoS and to be within range, I never noticed that the Ht is as tall as the model, so I can understand why if Nicodem is in a Ht 2 structure he affects nothing that is Ht 2 or lower with his auras (even though it sounds absurd to me...) but I just don't finish understanding how a model can break the pulse/aura section with the body even if within line of sight.

Basically, could I get  a rules page confirmation of what Sevorin was telling me? I checked the pulse rules but they just aren't clearing it up for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you think that's odd, think about how Ht 3 model can see Ht 1 model hiding behind Ht 2 box, but Ht 2 model standing on another Ht 2 box can't.

At the same time, Ht 1 model standing on Ht 2 box can see Ht 4 model behind Ht 4 terrain, but Ht 4 model can't.

I'm not a real Doctor.

ZING!

OK, so the consensus is being inside the Ht area of the pulse/aura and in LoS without worrying about anything cutting the aura and pulse area?

This is how I currently understand it, but I need to know ASAP if I'm screwing up since I'll have to reeducate my community if incorrect. Hell, it's bad enough I never noticed auras and pulses are only as high as the model's Ht...

On top of all of this, there's some more points:

1.  The example for Auras:

"Made an Example:  Other friendly models within :aura 6 gain +1 Wp."

Other friendly models that are within 6" and have line of sight to the model with this ability gain +1 Wp.

and the note at the bottom of the page concerning Auras, Blasts and Pulses

A model cannot be affected by an aura or pulse that emanates from a location out of LoS.

In addition, a model cannot be affected by a Blast Marker if ithe original target of the blast effect is not within LoS of the model.

and going back to Measuring

In Malifaux, all measurements are done from a top-down perspective.  Elevation is not factored into the measurement, although model and object height are used in other ways.

In other words, if you want to describe an aura or pulse as a cylinder, it's an infinitely tall cylinder stretching in both directions (up and down).  The Ht of the pulse or aura is used for LoS determinations, since the LoS system has a defined interaction concerning the height and elevation of terrain and models.

Blasts :blast says

... unless the model is more than 3" above or below the blast's target.

so blasts don't end up as infinitely tall cylinders.

So as far as I can tell, that statement

[A pulse/An aura] has the same Ht as the model is comes from[,] unless specified otherwise.

is a strange way of saying "Unless specified otherwise, use the source model's Ht to determine LoS for a pulse/aura.  If the pulse/aura specifies a different Ht value, use that instead."

is a strange way of saying "Unless specified otherwise, use the source model's Ht to determine LoS for a pulse/aura. If the pulse/aura specifies a different Ht value, use that instead."

1. The example for Auras:

"Made an Example: Other friendly models within :aura6 gain +1 Wp."

Other friendly models that are within 6" and have line of sight to the MODEL with this ability gain +1 wp

Wouldn't the last part of what you said directly contradict the rules?

Well then I have to wonder why any pulse or aura would have a different ht value than the model its on.

Ahh let the madness reign.

The fact that Ht is used for drawing LoS doesn't mean that it is only ever used for that.

Example: Malifaux rule book is used as a projectile weapon against annoying opponents. That doesn't mean that you can't use it to read the rules for auras and pulses.

• Like 1

Woah Woah Woah. I said nothing about ED. :lol: I was only talking about my impotence at reasoning reason.

But we have two distinct opinionated groups here.

Group 1: auras and pulses are infinlty high and infinlty low and effect all things they can see in range.

Example: model is standing on a ht 10 tower and a model on the ground can see said Model and the his pulse or aura will effect the tower model.

Group 2: Auras and pulses are only as tall as the model generating it and do not go down.

Example: a model standing on a ht 3 ledge and a model which is ht 2 standing on the ground can see said model but his Aura does not extend high enough to reach him.

Example 2: same model is standing on a ht 3 ledge and a model which is ht 2 standing on the ground and in los. The model on the ground generates a ht 5 pulse or aura do to an action. The model on the ht 3 ledge is now effected. Since the ht of the aura is greater than ht 3.

Did I miss any ones opinion? Certainly not my own.

So just to be perfectly clear. An enemy model on a ht 10 (yes 10) tower on the very edge of the lip of the tower. would be affected by a pulse or aura from ground level.

So, then, whats been said so far does indeed make this statement true. 

If measuring is done top down (it is), and the only requirement for aura's and pulses are 1. Is the model affected in LoS   and  2. Is it within the measured aura/pulse area 

If these 2 statements are true, then Ht has nothing to do with auras. We might as well eliminate Ht from being mentioned in the aura/pulse rules

An aura is only as tall as the model that makes it. (Unless otherwise specified) ht is measured in inches. How so we know this page 60. When defining terrain we give it a HT stat. So a piece of declared HT 2 terrain is 2" tall. So if a ht 2 model generates a aura or pulse. It extends up 2" if you are on something that is ht 2 or greater you are out of range of the aura pulse. And since you need to be in range and los of the aura to be effected by it......

But hey that's what I glean from reading the rule book. My opinion is all.

Thats how I look at it.

But if the earlier example of dreamer behind a ht1 wall effects a ht 2 model on the other side, that throws all that out the window. If the aura is Ht 1, then it shouldnt go over a ht 1 wall.

Which is the same thing in my original post, just backwards. If that dreamer statement is true, then a Ht 2 model, behind a ht2 model (or wall in this case) should not be affected by a Ht 3 aura on the other side of the wall (or blocking model).

To me, that is consistent.

All measurements in Malifaux are made from a top down view, this is regardless of the Ht of the objects being measured to/from.

The Ht stat of a model does not affect whether it is within range of another model, since the measurements are done top down.

The same is true of auras and pulses.

The Ht of such effects is mentioned because some pulses/auras block LoS, in which case their Ht could prove relevant. 

• Like 7