Questions for an FAQ

Lucidicide

Here is something that might be nice to have FAQed

You are suppose to flip for your critical effect when take damage and taken below your wound count, the flip is based off the level of damage you flipped plus the negative.  What about set damage?  Such as Poison, burning, or pulses which have no damage flip thus no starting point.  Do they not inflict criticial effects, are them always assumed to be weak, or do you flip and determine.  Something that defines what to do in these cases would be nice.

• Like 2

A bunch of my players are obviously interested in creating characters similar to their favorite masters from the mini game... one wants to be a kind of copy-cat killer of seamus.

Will there/or is there a way for people to summon/create undead other than generic zombies?  It's possible I've missed it if there is.

Also, will we be getting more stats for other groups and factions (I'd like to see some of the masters popping up or at the very least a few TT NPCs)?

Finally, since pursuits are chosen at the start of the session, do players determine their starting equipment at the start of the first session or can they pre-choose a pursit and then change it immediately at the start of the first session... or is this up the FM?

Thanks Aaron,

Few questions we have so far.

1. A negative modifier is added to critical effects flip based on the amount of damage beyond wounds 0 a character is. If this results in rolling on a new chart is the modifier applied to the second flip on the new table?

2. Pursuit Talent Delegate: Can a Fated chose not to protect the Overseer? Failing that can they declare they are not friendly to an overseer who triggers this talent to avoid taking the damage and forcing the overseer to select another target for the damage or even take it themselves?

3. How many weapon customisations can be added to a custom melee weapon?

4. Can custom melee enhancements be added to listed melee weapons or only added to the custom melee templates? Question arises because ranged customisation are added to listed ranged weapons and it does not state melee customisations are only for custom melee weapons.

5. Assuming custom pole-arm is a weapon that must use Heavy Melee skill (2 hands and starting melee range of 3). There is no write up for custom polearm. Can a custom polearm be 'extended’ to go to a range of melee 4 using the extended custom trait?

6. Can hobbling attack talent be used with a melee skill? Description only discusses 'bullets' and the example on p. 195 states "a trigger that slows a target of a ranged attack". Secondly the condition Hobbled (p. 136) states, "Thus character can only declare one general move action per turn." General movement actions list a run as one general movement action. A charge is also not a general movement action. It appears that Hobbled will stop a character from taking a Walk(1AP) + Walk(1AP) or a move + prone or a stand up + move but it will not stop a character from charging (general action not a move action) or running (single move action costing 2 AP). The ability to run and charge appears to go against the intent of the talent and the actual definition of the word.

6. Does the Impose action persist for the length of dramatic time or until the start of the character's next turn? Appears most effects and conditions of this nature include the phrase, "until end of dramatic time" or "until start of next turn."

Kind Regards,

Ad.

5. Assuming custom pole-arm is a weapon that must use Heavy Melee skill (2 hands and starting melee range of 3). There is no write up for custom polearm. Can a custom polearm be 'extended’ to go to a range of melee 4 using the extended custom trait?

I would so utterly allow this, on condition that the player remembered to act like he was carrying a Spartan dory spear, and didn't mind being stopped regularly by nearby law officers and asked questions like "what the heck is that?"

That, and a minimum 2" engagement range :D

• Like 1

So I might be missing something obvious but as I have my first session tomorrow night, I'll post this up in the hopes of a quick response.

Does the evade skill apply to combat situations? I'm assuming we all use evade during narrative time to resolve a situation where something surprises the party and they all need to leap away, but can the skill be used in combat? You have "use skill" in the general actions but what use is an evade when its your characters turn, and I can't see anything about evade in a defensive duel, so I'm assuming its not used in combat. I then looked at the skills summary on page 115 and the short description for evade reads "Avoiding ranged or melee attacks".

So I might be missing something obvious but as I have my first session tomorrow night, I'll post this up in the hopes of a quick response.

Does the evade skill apply to combat situations? I'm assuming we all use evade during narrative time to resolve a situation where something surprises the party and they all need to leap away, but can the skill be used in combat? You have "use skill" in the general actions but what use is an evade when its your characters turn, and I can't see anything about evade in a defensive duel, so I'm assuming its not used in combat. I then looked at the skills summary on page 115 and the short description for evade reads "Avoiding ranged or melee attacks".

Well your evade (including your speed) is added to your Df during character creation. So every time you make a Df flip, your are using your evade skill with a +2 bonus.

My question is: How do elemental Immutos that can be taken multiple times interact with the Hedge Magic theory? Do you only get one free instance of the element each time?

Page 62 fated Almanac: Defense is equal to 2 + the character’s Evade skill or Speed Aspect, whichever is higher. Defense is abbreviated as “Df” in many mechanics.

Note it says Evade skill. That is the raw skill value not the Acting value (AV) which at base is evade Skill + Speed Aspect.

So as an example a character with a Speed of 1 and an Evade of 2 would have a Df value of 4 (Base 2 + Evade Skill 2). However if they were dodging a log trap or rolling boulder etc they would have an acting value of 3 (Evade Skill 2 + Speed Aspect 1). Hopefully that makes sense.

Regards,

Ad.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this in the new players area with no luck.

The Fatemaster's Guide section about using Malifaux skirmish rules for combat is unclear to me. Do the players make ALL their flips from their twist deck? How is that to their advantage? It eliminates 75% of the high cards and both jokers from use. 

Well your evade (including your speed) is added to your Df during character creation. So every time you make a Df flip, your are using your evade skill with a +2 bonus.

My question is: How do elemental Immutos that can be taken multiple times interact with the Hedge Magic theory? Do you only get one free instance of the element each time?

We've been discussing the issue of Hedge Magic and Elemental Immuto interaction as well. Some thoughts have been getting the first use free, other thoughts have been limiting the amount with some arbitrary number. I like the idea of using an infinite amount of Immuto, lol...but in all sincerity I think the limit on Immuto should be based on the Fated's Rank in whatever Skill they're applying the Immuto to.

Example: Ginny the Hedge Magic  Dabbler has a Sorcery Skill Rank 3 and wants to cast Poison Darts (Elemental Projectile with Poison Immuto). With Rank 3 she'd be able to add Poison to the spell 3 times for free, and up the TN starting with the fourth usage.

That's my take, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the right place to get a reply, recently I've run a Through the Breach one-shot for a group of fairly experienced role-players. They enjoyed the game, though being the first time for everyone questions came up in terms of the vagueness of the rules.
Probably what stuck the most was one played who was trying out playing a Tinkerer with a pet construct.
We were trying to work out how to command her construct with the Order action.
One assumption was that it was 1:1 exchange, the character would spend the 1AP action and so her construct took a 1AP action. 
The other assumption was that she would preform the Order action, and the construct would take a full turn following hers (and thus having 2AP to spend as any standard character).
Our group's usual rules guys, noted if it was the first assumption then what are the advantages of using the construct over simply taking the action oneself?
Both she and I have been wondering if there are more rules for controlling constructs, that the section on this and zombies are limited to a page-note in the magic section seems strange as there as classes fluffed around this.

Hopefully this is the right place to get a reply, recently I've run a Through the Breach one-shot for a group of fairly experienced role-players. They enjoyed the game, though being the first time for everyone questions came up in terms of the vagueness of the rules.

Probably what stuck the most was one played who was trying out playing a Tinkerer with a pet construct.

One assumption was that it was 1:1 exchange, the character would spend the 1AP action and so her construct took a 1AP action. 

The other assumption was that she would preform the Order action, and the construct would take a full turn following hers (and thus having 2AP to spend as any standard character).

Our group's usual rules guys, noted if it was the first assumption then what are the advantages of using the construct over simply taking the action oneself?

Both she and I have been wondering if there are more rules for controlling constructs, that the section on this and zombies are limited to a page-note in the magic section seems strange as there as classes fluffed around this.

I'm not sure if I'm correct in my interpretation, but I believe constructs and such are actually under Fatemaster control, and thus not guaranteed to act as players desire unless they utilize Order Actions.  I may be completely off and it could indeed be a (1) Order = (1) Subordinate Action.  If it is the latter, the utility would be in building/hiring/animating subordinates which possess skills the Tinkerer (or Graverobber, or whatever) does not have.

Apologies if I'm not actually supposed to respond here and was instead supposed to leave it to an official FAQ.

Page 203 Fated Almanac

"(1) Order: The character gives a command to a single subordinate character under his control (such as a zombie, elemental, or construct minion). The ordered character takes its turn after this character completes his turn. The ordered character's turn is controlled by this character. If the ordering character is Fated, the ordered character Flips challenges as if it were a Fated character, but it may not Cheat Fate."

So the Tinkerer spends 1AP action on Order and then once they have finished their turn completely it is the minions turn. Order action rules state, "The ordered character takes its turn..." (italics mine). Page 201 details a 'Turn' and it's four composite parts which are: resolve turn effects (some conditions); generate AP (usually 2), Take actions; resolve end turn effects (some conditions and removal of some conditions).

Reads to our group that the character who takes the order action is the one responsible for controlling the minion ('character'). Also indicates minions cannot cheat fate when player of a fated is flipping for them. Clear Orders talent (p 135 Fated Almanac) allows this rule to be removed. Multitasker (p 143 Fated Almanac) as it is written allows the Tinkerer to use the 1AP Order action to control 2 minions. Buying the talent a second time (as the talent expressly allows) permits them to control 3 minions. Our group also allows a character with Multitasker the ability to control more than one minion with their Animate Construct spell. They must still cast the spell numerous times but we don't restrict the spell to having that limit. We basically allow the talent to override the limitation so it would become a 3 construct maximum. Makes sense to us to do this.

It would also put a stop on a Tinkerer controlling six minions and with a Tinkerer/Overseer/Criminal combo being able to move (Nimble 0AP move) conduct quick (1AP Quick Action running repairs) without proper tools(Improvise). But if you're FM wants to allow that kind of thing they could interpret the rules differently. Order action does not state it is limited to 1 per turn.

At least that's our groups reading of all the rules around order action and how we play it.

Enjoy TtB

Regards,

Ad

In regards to constructs:

Page 233 of the Fated Almanac, subheading Building Inanimate Constructs and Limbs.

Construction points: A crafter chooses a Height for his creation and multiplies this total by his Artificing skill, this is the number of construction points he has to spend on his construct.

I don't think this is particularly clear as it doesn't explain what Height means exactly or is measured in. My assumption would be yards as other measurements like walk are, but then what about smaller things? My arm isn't a yard long.

• 4 weeks later...

Criminal Pursuit: Improvise (p. 142)

Does this talent assume that the Fated now has a toolkit as per equipment section? That is, it permits a bonus flip to the choosen skill and the Fated is considered to have a toolkit for all other skills in the area. Or is it they are they considered to have a tool kit that allows them to perform the chosen skill if a kit is deemed required by the FM?

Example, Fated chooses Lockpick. Do they now get a :+fate to Lockpicking and are considered to have a Medical Bag for Doctoring and kit for Explosives? Or are they considered to be able to lockpick even if they are captured and all their equipment taken because they can 'improvise' a lockpick with items like a pin or piece of wire etc?

Not completely clear what the bonus should be. First one seems quite powerful in some skill sets like Crafting, Magic and Expertise. Improvise Alchemy,  :+fate to Alchemy and I can now improvise to craft anything anytime. Improvise Sorcery I get a :+fate on all Sorcery checks.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ad

Since Improvise states "Some men grow adept at making do without tools, even if it takes them a bit longer." I think it definitely means you count as having a toolkit for skills which require one, and since every toolkit int he book grants a :+fate, I think it's safe to say that Improvise grants that as well.

I don't think it's quite "can craft any time" since you still need the material components.  Just because you can improvise a Hickman's head distiller doesn't mean that you have any acetone to boil. 

But you're right that this is rather powerful for casting as it frees you from a 50 script cost, but it also requires at least three "levels" being devoted to the Criminal pursuit.  The Dabbler gets a similar ability already with Spell Affinity, which can arguably be even more flexible if your FM allows you to stick an elemental immuto onto just about any spell (yeah, it increases the TN, but you get a :+fate and potentially benefit from the element as well).  This is also ignoring the fact that to benefit from the :+fate in casting the Criminal must first acquire both a magical theory and a grimoire (or be a Dabbler/Graverobber/Tinkerer who has abandoned their casting pursuit for three levels in order to get a :+fate to one magic skill).

My interpretation could be wrong, but I think this is how it should play, and actually see no balance issues in doing so.

i just wanted to highlight it's not clear if you are assumed to have a toolkit for the skill you select with the improvise talent or it's assumed you actually have a toolkit as per equipment lists. It can be read either way and the two things are quite different and one seems overly powerful for a talent.

Regarding crafting, sure you need the raw materials but RAW and interpreted to mean a toolkit as per equipment would allow you to assume to have a kit to craft anything. That's before even taking the :+fate into account. Devs obviously meant one or the other, just want them to clarify which. :)

It's off topic but Criminal to 5 is a good buy for anyone who can fit it into their character story and that is playing enough Fate steps to allow it. :masktrigger on Expertise duel, draw a Twist card, 1AP skill actions or Improvise and additional AP for movement only. So it's not a 0AP action which is limited but rather allows you to generate 3 AP's at the start of your turn, 1 limited to move actions only. It's a pretty good buy all round for any character build. :)

I'm just adding questions the FM asks me to, that have come up for discussion in our games that we can't get an answer on talking amongst ourselves.

Regards,

Ad

Here are my questions.

1: For NPCs or Non Fated Characters that have talents that require the use of a twist deck such as Rapid Fire to activate, how would the FM accomplish this since they do not have a Twist deck. Is this listed in the book and did I just miss it.

2: For combat between Fated vs NPCs it would be nice if there was a listed step by step break down of how this happens. Since the FM does not use cards it gets a bit confusing to someone who has never used this system or M2E.

Thank you