Confused about arsenal decks

Minijunkie

So basically what the above posters are saying is: If you want the Faction Specific generic Wave 1 and Wave 2 upgrades in card format you have to buy the respective Arsenal boxes. Otherwise, you will need to have the Big Rule Book and the Crossroads books on hand to reference said upgrades typically.

I ended up just buying all the Arsenal packs for all factions (starting with mine, then bought the others here and there as I went) as I like to pull out the cards for what my opponents bring as reference (and so I don't have to ask them every 2 minutes to see their cards). :)

• Like 1

I have been confused about the Arsenal deck packaging as well.

They really seem intended as a port for those that already possessed metal crews (or the 1st ed plastics) and yet they chose to include models that were never available in 1st edition. These models would already come with the M2e cards when they are available for purchase. Only having the generic faction upgrades available in the Arsenal decks was a bit perplexing as well. This will leave the players that are purchasing the M2e models with a box of mostly superfluous cards.

Perhaps in the future (when the demand for Arsenal Decks has waned) they will include them in another product like the Strat and Scheme decks, Avatar Decks or their own specific deck (assuming they continue to release generic upgrades).

But keep in mind there are people like me who have zero intention of buying most factions/models due to lack of interest in said models/faction. And yet, I enjoying having the cards on hand, that I obtained via the Arsenal Decks, for when I play opponents who might use said factions/models that I don't own. So, in this case, I find it useful to just buy the Arsenal Box instead of having to lug around the M2E and CrossRoads book.

If you are a new player who is buying plastic, and you want the generic upgrades, buying two Arsenal packs (both Waves) per faction is a crazy expense for a dozen or so useful cards (and well over a hundred useless ones).

Not really. There is no codex/army book for you to buy in Malifaux, and you don't necessarily need both waves. Even if you did, it's still only 16 dollars for both.

A WH40k codex is almost 50 dollars. Crazy expense is a gross exaggeration in a game as potentially cheap as Malifaux.

• Like 2

Not really. There is no codex/army book for you to buy in Malifaux, and you don't necessarily need both waves. Even if you did, it's still only 16 dollars for both.

A WH40k codex is almost 50 dollars. Crazy expense is a gross exaggeration in a game as potentially cheap as Malifaux.

We actually agree on something!

That being said, I do think it would be fair to hope for a better product to meet the actual need: A deck of just generic upgrades.

I didn't mind buying two arsenal decks because I have a ton of metals (and a 1.5 Lucas that needed cards) but I can see a newer player having a different need than I do.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that they said they were doing the Arsenal decks as a way to bridge the 2 editions, and once they had doenm that they would look at something different.

That was at least a year ago, so I don't knwo what they have planned, btu it wouldn't surprise me if next year there was a generic upgrades box.

That said, ownign a copy of a card you don't have a model for can be pretty handy when you are trying to judge what you want to buy in the future and look for combinations (often even easier than out of a book)

By the same token, if they included the general upgrades in crew boxes, you end up with multiple anyway if you by multiple boxes from a faction.

Also, which general upgrades go in the box of dual faction masters?

This is why including the General Upgrades in the Strat/ Scheme deck would make much more sense.

I'm pretty sure that they said they were doing the Arsenal decks as a way to bridge the 2 editions, and once they had doenm that they would look at something different.

This could definitely work though would probably require a few more options be developed.

I own both for Arcanists because of a couple old metal models I picked up that I liked better than the plastic versions.  The generic upgrades are nice, but I do have one complaint.

I bought the Collodi starter today and plan on picking up the Neverborn Wave 2 deck so I can play him, but I want a few effigies to use as well.  I don't think the effigies are going to be released before January so my only options are to buy the metal versions or wait 4+ months till the new versions come out.  Ill most likely go for the metal versions, but I still need two cards that I can only get if I buy two faction decks that I only need a single card for.  

I know there is the card trading forum, but man what a pain in the :mask for a few cards.

As a new player myself, I love the Arsenal Decks.

At first I only purchased the Wave 1 Arcanist Arsenal Deck, but, as I'd also picked up the old metal Kaeris Starter, found it didn't have the cards I needed, so I printed out the Wave 2 cards.

I then went on to buy the Mei Feng Starter, the Viktorias Starter, and a few other (mostly Arcanist) models, and so picked up the Ten Thunders and Outcasts Wave 1 Arsenal Decks too.

I've now bought all three Wave 2 Arsenal decks too.

And, as I plan to pick up a Guild Starter at some point, I'll get the Wave 1 and Wave 2 Guild Arsenal Decks too.

The value to me is that I can easily flick through my binders to see what models I want to pick up (in fact two of the boxes I've picked up I probably wouldn't have got as quickly as I did had I not had the cards for them), and I have the cards available for anything I want to proxy before buying.

I have every arsenal deck except for wave 2 gremlins (waiting for those to come in to my store). It i a great way to try out models and crews that interest me before I actually buy them. It also keeps things cheaper for us and Wyrd by having all these cards packaged together. If they did a pack that had just the generic upgrades, then they would likely have to sell it at around the $5 mark, and they would have to make a separate deck for 1st edition vets that would likely still cost $8 anyways.

im coming back to malifaux and i was wondering what would be the best way to start back .I have most of the mk1 guild starters .Would i be better off get the arsenal deck or just grab the orginal deck?

The Wave 1 arsenal deck contains Justice, Perdita and Sonnia crews. The Wave 2 Guild deck contains Hoffman and Lucius . 10 Thunders Wave 2 box contains Lucas McCabe (And Yan lo and Shelong but they aren't guild).

So for you to get all your models you would probably need 3 decks, but most of your collection is probably in the Wave 1 arsenal deck. If you just wanted to get something to see if you liked the new edition, then just buying the wave 1 arsenal deck will convert most of you collection (i assume) to useable.

Personally I would recomend getting both Guild decks as you get a card for almost every model (You wont have McCabe, Sidir, Wastrel and McMorning) and all the generic upgrades.

• Like 1

If you are getting all the cards bar ten or so generic upgrades from buying the minis, that 16 dollars for ten cards is crazy expensive.

Also, why did you pick 40k and not Infinity as your counter example? ;)

It also keeps things cheaper for us and Wyrd by having all these cards packaged together. If they did a pack that had just the generic upgrades, then they would likely have to sell it at around the $5 mark, and they would have to make a separate deck for 1st edition vets that would likely still cost $8 anyways.

Not sure it is cheaper for them to print Arsenal decks at all. They require their own packaging and are really aimed at a specific audience (namely those that are bridging from a last edition). If the cards were only available in the Arsenal decks then I could see it saving some money but given that they are still included in the model boxes (aside from the generic upgrades) it means "Useless Duplication".

I agree that having the Generic upgrades in their own box probably wouldn't be worth it unless they added a few more options.

Disagree though that 1st edition players would need to purchase a separate Upgrade deck as the Arsenal decks that they need to bridge editions already have them. A generic upgrade deck is really aimed at those that started with M2e and dont really have any other method of getting them outside of purchase Arseanal decks with duplicate cards.