Pull My Finger's future

Lucidicide

I would personally prefer something like pmf to be on company webspace. As it allows for greater use of already existing art and graphics. Allows for a more central community hub off the main website. And gives greater endorsement to the work the community has already done on pmf. New players are likely to find the forums before they are the current pmf. Having it integrated into a site already likely to draw new players is a win for both sides.

Make no mistake the content should be fan generated but the content should also be easy to find.

• Like 1

I think any concern over Wyrd scuttling this endeavor is totally unfounded. I can understand being burned in the past and totally empathize....but Wyrd has proven time and again to be very fan-friendly. Look at Vassal......a program that could easily be seen as direct competition to a company that sells miniatures.....fully supported by Wyrd...and even improved upon by Wyrd.

I don't see a downside to this move. I think it's fantastic.

Though I agree with Guy in Suit.........I think we should be able to log in with our Wyrd accounts.

• Like 6

This is a good question. I imagine it would be similar to the "Iron Quill" competition regarding who owns it.

Sooo.... No one will really have a clue, or care, who owns something they post up because it's being done for the enjoyment?

:D

Regarding the log in thing, I think the reason for separate logins is to make it very clear that it's not the forum, the mod team is different, and so on. Which seems kind of wise to me, as it gives a very definite 'this content is not wyrd controlled' ethos to it that being inside the forum logins would really have.

• Like 2

I understand, and agree, with all of the concerns expressed.  That said, I still think Wyrd providing the webspace is the best solution.  

I started a laundry list of all the potential problems that could arise if the wiki is kept in private hands and they represent every bit as much, and sometimes more, risk as having Wyrd provide the space under the general terms outlined.

I applaud everyone who is identifying potential problems because that helps Wyrd minimize the problems setting up the wiki on their space.  I can see already that they will have to take steps to make sure that the fan based nature of the site is not only a fact, but a visible fact.  

For those who are concerned that Wyrd may shut down the wiki without notice, I would strongly urge the acquisition of software that allows you to copy an entire website and take a monthly snapshot. That provides a safeguard against sudden loss. 

So, Wyrd, I appreciate your offer and I encourage you, if you haven't already, to get working with the PFM wiki owners on restarting the wiki on Wyrd territory.

That's my understanding.

Also, we gave Hateful a little something something for making sure we had the time to handle this.

It's looking like things are pretty positive overall, so we'll work on getting something set up and then have people take a look at it and take it from there.

• Like 6

Sooo.... No one will really have a clue, or care, who owns something they post up because it's being done for the enjoyment?

:D

Regarding the log in thing, I think the reason for separate logins is to make it very clear that it's not the forum, the mod team is different, and so on. Which seems kind of wise to me, as it gives a very definite 'this content is not wyrd controlled' ethos to it that being inside the forum logins would really have.

Thats what I was implying :)

As far as login, I totally agree keep it tied to Wyrd login, another login would be NO FUN.

Dealing with the inconvenience of a separate user name to appease the tin foil hat crowd feels very inefficient to me.  I'd rather a company with a vested interest in promoting a quality and genuine experience to its fans have the keys to the henhouse rather than some random person who could blow it up just to appease a fragile ego.

• Like 3

I would bet the "separate login" thing is mainly for technical reasons.

Also -- woot woot! :)

Pretty much this

If they are using a separate engine or product to create the Wiki section of the Wyrd domain, having all of that share the same membership, though probably doable, would probably be more of a hassle that it would be worth. Specially since at the end of the day only a few people actually bother going into a wiki and editing content.

If it could all be done with the same login session, I'd be all for it, but don't really consider it important.

Doesn't strike me as technically difficult, though obviously I have no idea how the Wyrd site works on the back end. It seems more like a measure to establish a conceptual separation of authority, to give a sense of control to the community.

(I don't think it's necessary, personally - some people with high-level control over PMF are already moderators here anyway. I'd rather see a unified login system.)

Doesn't strike me as technically difficult, though obviously I have no idea how the Wyrd site works on the back end. It seems more like a measure to establish a conceptual separation of authority, to give a sense of control to the community.

(I don't think it's necessary, personally - some people with high-level control over PMF are already moderators here anyway. I'd rather see a unified login system.)

It's not at all technically difficult; it might, however, create some security concerns depending how different the tech is and how they'd have to pass credentials from one system to another.

Well, I would like it if the logins would be the same as on the Wyrd site. (Less logins = less creativity with passwords) but this highly depends on how the database is created for the Wyrd website. If the PMF copy requires certain admin rights or certain moderator rights that aren't tied to the normal website, different groups have to be created and accounts would have to be pushed into it. As there are many current Wyrd accounts, this is a pain and much work on the backend. Never to say that if it goes wrong, people can't login and it will be hard to recover it. (Maxim 41: "Do you have a Backup?" means "I can't fix this.") 

On the other hand, having a seperate database for logins of the Wiki is easier to do and will most likely not mess with existing infrastructure. It will be a bit annoying if it is on the same domain, as it will most likley mess with Chrome/Firefox auto-login cookies.

If possible, I would prefer to have the same logins, but I understand that this might not be.

Oh, I want to keep the name "Pull My Finger". It is a bit ingrained and funny.