Where do the characters come from......?

SurreyLee

McCabe definitely has Indiana Jones inspiration behind him.

Yan Lo gives me a lot of Lo Pan (Big Trouble in Little China) vibes.

McMorning is every mad scientist trope, which themselves are rooted in (the more modernized) Dr. Frankenstein.

yan-lo as lo-pan, wan as egg, brent as burt

Lelu means 'a toy' in Finnish and Lelu is an obvious boytoy.

What?

Having seen his M2E art, he is one hell of a boy toy :P  Though I think his name is something of a combination of middle eastern male spirits and the Lilith/Lilitu traditions, given his associations.

OK, ok. Samael Hopkins - Matthew Hopkins is the most famous witch-hunter in England (Witchfinder General). There's a famous British horror movie of him from the 1960s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Hopkins

Samael, additionally, is an archangel tasked with accusation and destruction who is seen as neither good nor evil.  Also the Jewish angel of death (or one of them alongside Azrael, who was more of a guardian in that lore? I dunno, my Abrahamic religions are getting all muddled this morning XD)

• Like 1

Mei Feng is Mandarin for "beautiful phoenix," hence the flame theme. She, the railworkers and Kang are inspired by the historical Chinese immigration population which fled from China 19th century due to political persecution, famine, or war and found a new life in the Western US building railroads. One of my favorite archetypes which Malifaux has integrated into its alternate history.

I'd be surprised if phoenix is the translation - that sounds much more like Kaeris territory to me, and thematically I'm not sure it gels with her fluff. I could be wrong, but I don't think we've seen the mandarin character or tones to know which "Feng" is being used, so it could be "gallop" or "wind", or even something else.

I feel like zoraida is also based on David Bowie as the goblin king from the Labyrinth, who had a song with the line "you remind me of the babe" an abiltiy of zoraida,it also mentions voodoo. the goblin king is like zoraida and the gremlins, he used crystal balls and could transform into an owl, similar to zoraida into a crow. Also there was a bog of eternal stench and other various nasties in the labyrinth.

Lucas Mccabe is totally Indiana Jones.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to Jewish folklore Lilith is Adam's first wife. When she wouldn't submit to his will, she was cursed to roam the earth, and became the mother of monsters. Even today among Hasidic jews, she is brought up in cases of crib death and serious child hood diseases.

Other myths state that the only children she was bearing were Incubi and Succubi, hence the 'Mother of Monsters' name.

Okay, having watched Big Trouble inLittle China for the first time recently, and it being mentioned that Gracie is a character from said film, do Wyrd really think Kim Catrall is a pig? I couldn't stop thinking of that when watching it.

You can read about it in Chronicles 5.

"Yes, I realize that for some readers naming a massive elderly sow after the female lead in the film we are paying homage to, may be in poor taste, but it in no way was intended to be anything but flattering." - Dan Weber

• Like 1