Where do the characters come from......?

SurreyLee

Okay, so everyone has theorised where some characters come from. Seamus is a cross between Jack the Ripper and the mad hatter, right? Hoffman and Coppelius from the gothic piece of writing The Sandman....what about other masters though. Hamelin after the pied piper.

I was watching The Last Samurai (don't judge me) last night to get me into a bit of Ten Thunder mode and I noted that the gun salesman at the start was called McCabe which led me to think he may have been inspiration behind the guild (guns) and ten thunders (the last samurai film itself).....i might be wrong here but that's my initial take.

So, anyone else have any thoughts where inspiration for other models comes from?

I love the fluff element this game is building and backgrounds are all part of that.

• Like 6

Ulix seems to be based a bit on Ulysses/Odysseus - his dog Penelope has the same name as Ulysses' wife and his position as master of pigs could refer to either the incident on Circe's island where Ulysses' crew was turned into pigs or to the fact that the swineherd was one of the two servants who remain loyal and helped him take back his house.

EDIT: Oh, an he's got that bow too.

• Like 4

Seamus is a cross between Jack the Ripper and the mad hatter, right?Hoffman and Coppelius from the gothic piece of writing The Sandman

Hoffman, I saw also a reference from Charles Xavier and Magneto... like a no chaotical Onslaug.

Seamus, yes, also with Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde (look the avatar)

Lenny : a character of Tex Avery.

Dreamer.... Little Nemo (in France few people know it... I'm sad)

Leveticus : old testament ?

• Like 3

Lenny is based on Lennie Small from Mice and Men (who Tex Avery based several characters off)

Lady Justice is the roman godess of Iustica, who was often charactierised on court house etc, with Scales and a doubel edged swod, and at times blindfold to demonstrate objectivity

• Like 1

According to Jewish folklore Lilith is Adam's first wife. When she wouldn't submit to his will, she was cursed to roam the earth, and became the mother of monsters. Even today among Hasidic jews, she is brought up in cases of crib death and serious child hood diseases.

• Like 1

Leveticus would be far closer to a resemblance to Lazarus than to the book of Leviticus, honestly. Leviticus is a series of laws and ritual festivals, while Lazarus is about a man who returns to life after his death.

The book of Leveticus is about sacrifice, which certainly fits our Leveticus rather well. 

• Like 5

A lot of the TT and Japanese-influenced Resser stuff has a solid background as well. A Penanggalan is a type of Malaysian vampire (That is comprised of just the head and organs of the host), Onryo are spirits driven by vengeance, an Ubume is a ghost of a woman who died in childbirth, or sometimes one who has killed their infant child. Daimyo is a title for a feudal lord. Izamu would appear to be a viable name, although most appear to spell it Isamu.

Someone's done plenty of homework in this game, it's clear.

• Like 2

Lenny is based on Lennie Small from Mice and Men (who Tex Avery based several characters off)

Lady Justice is the roman godess of Iustica, who was often charactierised on court house etc, with Scales and a doubel edged swod, and at times blindfold to demonstrate objectivity

Smalm correction, Roman Justice was never blindfolded. That idea stems from a caricature a few centuries old and signifies that the justice system at the time was so corrupt Justice had become blind...

I see Sensei Yu drawing from Yu Ti in Iron Fist but that could definately just be me

I thought this too although he seems more similar to Lei Kung given he's all powerful but chooses to stay at a lower political position to teach & influence.

Lazarus fits Lazarus since he's (technically) reborn in his current robotic form.

Not really. It was to represent impartiality.

Actually not, this is a later tradition. Before the 16th century Justice was never blindfolded, and the first depiction of Justitia with blindfolds was a commentary on unfair trials. Later the symbolism of a fair justice with no prejudice caught on and became universally adopted...