First step in Malifaux...

helldrad

Nice. I'm not a big fan of black-lining myself (for viewing - I think it actually detracts from your excellent blending) but for a playable crew it really helps them stand out on the table. I like the powder blue on Sidir especially, but I think the brindle-coat on Luna is knocked out of the park......I think it would be easy to overdo it on the striping (like you see on many 'Cerberus Tigers) but these stripes are subtle and just enough to show it.......nice job.

Thanks for comments !

Nice. I'm not a big fan of black-lining myself (for viewing - I think it actually detracts from your excellent blending) but for a playable crew it really helps them stand out on the table. I like the powder blue on Sidir especially, but I think the brindle-coat on Luna is knocked out of the park......I think it would be easy to overdo it on the striping (like you see on many 'Cerberus Tigers) but these stripes are subtle and just enough to show it.......nice job.

Too much black lining…it’s a bad habit from too much whfb/wh40k army painting J.

It seems to me that minis are more “readable” like this but reading your comments I start to think  that it’s not necessary to be so “brutal” with malifaux minis…less minis on the table and more individualized minis means  minis less subject to blur effect and  not so many sharpening needed…I’ll trying something else for the next crew box

(Damn , since  my  North American professional contacts were replaced by North African professional contacts, my English is  everything but fluent… :( )

Agreed. Makes total sense when you have 50-100 models on the table. But when you only have 6-10, not so much. As long as you still use different shades and such and leave the shadows darkest where overlaps are you'll still be good.........the best example for me is the chain wielding Wastrel above......his suspenders definitely don't need it, and his rolled up sleeves/collar could just do with a nice dark shadow in there.....in his case probably a nice dark brown.

It may not look quite right to you at first since you're used to the black-line.....just make a nice dark shadow keeping with the color of the material (I'd probably use like a Scorched Brown....or whatever they call it now....on that Wastrel's shirt) and it'll be good.

I look forward to the next installment.

I really like this crew, and don't mind the black lining now I've seen more of your painting - I'd love to see a crew shot! What is your theme for the bases? Quite hard to see from this angle.

I will take a group shot with more angle :)   

For the base , I put some pavement , partially hidden by mud and rock...the idea is an old poorly maintained road...Next crew is planned with a full paved base for a more "urban" look in order to have different basing but with a "compatible look".

Helldrad,

I think you are an amazing painter and you really do use vivid colors to bring your models to life. I really like your Mccabe crew alot. I have some issues with your Seamus crew and Mr. Graves. I just don't like the flesh colors you used for any of them. I don't like that Seamus and Graves are so pale, and the belles and Sybelle are blue and green. I do like you're basing of the models. The brick wall is awesome. All in all very impressive work. The horse is amazing.

Nighthater

• Like 1

I suppose colour palettes are down to personal taste but I also feel that the Seamus crew and Mr. Graves are missing something. For me it's the fact that in your McCabe crew, you've used layers of different colours on the fur and on the clothing that gives the models 'depth' and adds interest to them, it also makes them look more realistic whereas with your the other models, they look a bit flat and monotone. I think they'd benefit from ore blending of colours like you've done with your first crew. I also personally don't like the blue and green flesh tones but that's just my opinion. Still ,don't let me take anything away from you, you're obviously a good painter and your models look great, just some, I hope constructive feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback ! All of them are welcome !

Gathering feedback is THE purpose of posting pics here :)

Well I know the exact difference between the McCabe crew and Seamus crew (and Grave)... For McCabe I known that a want to do weeks before buying the minis...for the others I've no precise idea before taking the brush...

Next minis will be Oiran...I will take some time to prepare this...we'll see where it goes...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...