Wyrd Prize support

J_D

In a few weeks time I am starting a Malifaux league through my LGS, and I was wondering if Wyrd have any sort of prize support or promo items they give/sell to people doing these kinds of things? I know another company has special trophies you can order from them, was hoping Wyrd had something of the same sort.

I'm still waiting for my Henchman application to be approved, so it may be covered in there. But if someone could help me while I wait, that would be really great.

PS: if someone could also get my application approve, that would be awesome! It's only been 4 weeks and I know it can take a while (especially after Gencon), but I'm not very patient  :D

Well I have some unofficial Award Certificates that I can send you. They have worked great for me and I think they look a lot better than the cartoony official ones (preference may vary).

As for official prize support, well that is something the Henchman have been asking (though pleading is probably a better word) for a a very long while now. What I have generally done is a combination of Hand Made Trophies (I can post a few pictures of the ones I did up for a Halloween event), certificates and store credit. If I happen to get my hands on an extra limited edition model then I usually throw that in as well.

I dont know if you charge event fees (if not I would strongly encourage it) but between those and a good LGS providing product at cost for the event prizes you can usually cobble together a nice unofficial pack that rewards a lot of players (vice the typical top three finishers).

If you have a larger community and one that is consistent in attendance then you may also look to making your own custom prize packs. There are a few companies that can provide affordable custom offerings cut from MDF or Acrylic. Other options include custom fate decks (at least one of the old communities did this) or custom poker chips (have yet to see this one due to initial costs but something that I think could work extremely well).

I'm going to be writing a guide for tournament organisers soon (draft for henchman input), and one section will certainly be on prize support. Certificates are relatively easy to make if you want the personalised touch, and simple trophies are relatively cheap. Other prizes will depend on number of entries, entry fee, sponsorship, etc. Custom counters fer all entrants have also proved popular in the UK.

Nothing from Wyrd though. Yet.

As nice as it would be, I can get trophies and medals easily done locally (which is probably easier than ordering from the US for me). I would much rather they keep pumping out the amazing models, as that is the major factor that has allowed me to sell the game to people initially (and once they actually play a game, they are usually hooked).