5 Models Every Ten Thunderist Should Have

zFiend

No order.

Tengu- scheme runners are always a thing.

Fuhatsu- armor two and hard to wound and a minigun.

The lone swordsman- he can be in any list with any master and can dutifully kill Any thing.

Oiran- hate all you want they are clutch models that have won me more than a few games. And the upgrade now makes them better.

Samurai-(of jingoku) 14" 4 card flip that can trigger infinitely till something dies or you miss the trigger. Giving him fast with shenlong is a plus.

I agree with most people here... Here's mine

Support

~ Chiaki - range easy conditional removal is so powerful.  I also often save my 8+rams to get the healling trigger too!

~ Tengu - For all the above!  Plus they're cheap activations too!

~ Toshiro - Great for giving minions a boost + can summon too if needed (although I actually rarely use this) & can fight!

Hitty

~ Lone Swordsman - Love this guy! Use him with Recaled training.  Then sick him on someone (Mighty Gust is my prefered method), you've then got a Fast, Reactivate killer with + to all flips for the turn!  Not much can survive him!

~ Katanaka Snipers - These guys can sit back taking pot shots, get in melee, make people Slow.  What"s not to love?  If you feel really dirty, take a pair with Shenlong for 4 Focused shots a turn!

Here's Mine

1.)Chiaki- condition removal healing and strong movement is all good all the time.

2.)Kang- Making your army Horror proof and giving it bonuses vs Undead and constructs at ranged is just mean

3.)Illuminated- Arguably the best 7 stone minion in the game

4.) Wastral- cheap speedy unit with some fun triggers and healing potential

5.) Izamu- His hitting potential within the 10t faction is a nice beat stick to bring with pretty much any of the masters. 

Fuhatsu - because he's got a freaking minigun!  He is my go to Hench for Hardcore where he is just brutal!  Really interesting discussion though as I'm looking to expand my TT options and find that a lot of them seem to have high SS costs that I'm not sure are worth it (Archers and Samurai being the main ones).  Really hope we get miniatures for the other monks and Tengu soon.

Godlyness. Could you maybe elaborate a bit as to why you hold the Oirans in such a high regard and how have they helped you win games? :)

Quite easy most players least of all expect to be pulled out of position since I held onto a crow. And with a ca of 7 flipping a decent card and not getting the suit might burn a high card from your opponent or they see you don't havevthecsuit and you can cheat that crow whether high or low and lure the model. Then you have the +1wp buff. And then you have a decent walk and could be defensive +2 for that one action. And if you are using smoke and shadows she can use smoke bombs. And with the new upgrade she can be fast. And people ignore her a lot since they think she is worthless.

Quite easy most players least of all expect to be pulled out of position since I held onto a crow. And with a ca of 7 flipping a decent card and not getting the suit might burn a high card from your opponent or they see you don't havevthecsuit and you can cheat that crow whether high or low and lure the model.

Selling yourself short a bit I see... they are Cast 8

I have to agree that Orians are underestimated alot though I would not put them in my top 5 they are models you have to consider.  More so if you have any way to draw more cards as the turn goes or have little need for Crows with your other models.

Quite easy most players least of all expect to be pulled out of position since I held onto a crow. And with a ca of 7 flipping a decent card and not getting the suit might burn a high card from your opponent or they see you don't havevthecsuit and you can cheat that crow whether high or low and lure the model. Then you have the +1wp buff. And then you have a decent walk and could be defensive +2 for that one action. And if you are using smoke and shadows she can use smoke bombs. And with the new upgrade she can be fast. And people ignore her a lot since they think she is worthless.

Thanks for clarifying! I have the Oirans but I have yet to see why I would use them. I will try them out in a couple of games for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Lone swordsman- great triggers, bulletproof 3, and ability to reactivate is awesome.

Torakage- good movement, -flips for sh, good Df/wp, work great for scheme markers

Dawn serpent- good movement, hard to kill and healing, high Ml stat with good damage

Toshiro- makes the above models better, can summon new models, gives out fast

Takanaka sniper- from the shadows is really strong, good at both sh and Ml. Just need the actual model to come out.

my list is

-Ama No Zako: she deals a lot of damage (and can downright eat people if they're paralyzed *cough cough* MCCABE *cough cough*, she's got a lot of little things that make her versatile (like flight, her promising whispers, the healing flip off her atk, her terrifying check, etc. etc.)  She is my go-to henchman, especially if I'm running McCabe or Misaki.

-Chiaki: she's pretty much on (over) half of people's lists here, I won't add any more to that.

-Ten Thunder Brothers: cheap, sturdy, and versatile(ish).  I like them, though I haven't played with them enough yet.

-Torakage: the ultimate scheme runner.  They are a good unit that can move off by itself and still handle itself well, though not the most damage-y, they have decent stats and their attacks are nice.

-Ten Thunder Archers: I'm not very good with these guys, let me start off by saying that.  But they are very good support pieces, combined with their new upgrade, they are super fun to play with and often make my opponent focus time and energy on taking them out, my only beef with them is that they don't have the best range, but I guess they don't need that when they can shoot into melee and ignore LoS...

Kinda repetitive, but I think Ama is my favorite henchman, and I didn't notice her on anyone else's list (I'll admit I skimmed a bit).

Toshiro - makes minions better, combine with minions so when they die he summons Ashigaru/Komainu depending on what's available

10T Brother - versatile with different styles and can protect schemes

Tengu - great for scheme placement and movement shenanigans

Rail Worker - as a Mei player an extra jump point and with Armor and trigger and HtK they stick around

Illuminated - great ranged/melee support with Toshiro and regen and healing helps them survive.

D.

Wastrels - ever since I picked up the relic hunters box set ive used at least 2 in every game for 4ss you cant go wrong with them plus some of my favourite models.

Illuminated - have only just started using them but they have so far proven to be incredibly resilient and hard hitting.

Everything else I take tends to vary widely still learning the game and trying to adapt my play style (far to used to playing 40k and confrontation 3.5 where you mostly just need to run in a kill things)

One model I havnt been able to use effectively is Fuhastu always seems to go wrong for me and the samurai to a lesser extent (although that's more because my samurai seem to have trouble figuring out which end of the minigun to point at the enemy...)

I think the trick with Fuhatsu is to not get hung up on using his (2) action but if you do then you should make sure he has Re-called training and you should be prepared to spend stones to guarantee the :ram for the trigger.  Focus and shoot with his regular shooting attack is always worth it too as the :+fate to damage means you can usually cheat and get off a decent hit.

For samurai have you been taking their upgrades? I think Jigoku is perhaps the best with no damage taken during your activation. Only issue comes when he is obeyed and forced to miss. Earth is good since it gives him effectively 2 misses for free.

D.

Samurai only take damage when they shoot in their activation, so no reason to fear obey destroying your samurai. Hell, it's the reason Samurai work so well with the Brewmaster without being Jigoku.

• Like 1

Wastrels - ever since I picked up the relic hunters box set ive used at least 2 in every game for 4ss you cant go wrong with them plus some of my favourite models.

Illuminated - have only just started using them but they have so far proven to be incredibly resilient and hard hitting.

Everything else I take tends to vary widely still learning the game and trying to adapt my play style (far to used to playing 40k and confrontation 3.5 where you mostly just need to run in a kill things)

One model I havnt been able to use effectively is Fuhastu always seems to go wrong for me and the samurai to a lesser extent (although that's more because my samurai seem to have trouble figuring out which end of the minigun to point at the enemy...)

Have you been using the Wastrels outside of McCabe? I struggle to see a use for them without being able to give them upgrades.

Have you been using the Wastrels outside of McCabe? I struggle to see a use for them without being able to give them upgrades.

Wastrel's ranged attack is quite good with that built in :+fate on attack flip and they are quite cheap. I could definitely see using them with Lynch where I can just discard aces for suits. Beyond that their usability is rather limited in my opinion. Bringing one just for the heal might have some merit with other masters.

Wastrel's ranged attack is quite good with that built in :+fate on attack flip and they are quite cheap. I could definitely see using them with Lynch where I can just discard aces for suits. Beyond that their usability is rather limited in my opinion. Bringing one just for the heal might have some merit with other masters.

They are really good fits with Lynch and McCabe. However, I feel that their cost and their generalist approach makes them viable with anyone. I have played them with Misaki and Shenlong where they performed very well.

I think the trick with Fuhatsu is to not get hung up on using his (2) action but if you do then you should make sure he has Re-called training and you should be prepared to spend stones to guarantee the :ram for the trigger.  Focus and shoot with his regular shooting attack is always worth it too as the :+fate to damage means you can usually cheat and get off a decent hit.

The (2) action needs some set up. I don't think that Recalled Training is needed, but it is always useful. Anyway, you need to have a feel for what cards are left in the deck. Have a lot of 11+ cards already been filtered, is the black joker still in play? Then it might not be worth taking the gamble, since you need to play the odds. I find that it usually worth to stone for the :ram too, if I go for the (2) action.

I completely agree with Johnmaul on that you shouldn't get to hung up on it. Especially since the (1) action is so good.