5 Models Every Ten Thunderist Should Have

zFiend

So I am just beginning a league with Ten Thunders as my declared faction and I saw this great topic by MythicFOX on the Arcanist side, I thought we'd do the same here! 

I haven't got much experience but here goes:

- Sidir

- Yin

- The Brothers 

- Sensei Yu

- Mr. Graves

• Like 1

Interesting, I certainly have my favourites.  I'm assuming you're meaning pieces that can bring something to all masters rather than something that only shines in a few crews.

Illuminated - strong, independent, need dedicated resource to handle.  All at a price point that means they need something big to commit into them

Thunder Archer - So strong, so flexible.  Ideal for dropping the last wound on something that's been beaten up by your melee hitters.

Kang - makes Constructs, Undead and Horror-causers cry.  And he can beat people away from Turf War markers

Rail Workers - hard to get rid of and with a damage track that means they have to be respected.  Judicious use of the Metal on Metal trigger means it'll often take three hits to drop one, and at a low enough cost that I don't care when they're gone.

Chiaki the Niece - Condition removal and terrific mobility.  Putting bodyguard on Chiaki is a good option, especially if you can keep your opponent guessing until late in the game (e.g. by taking another strong candidate like Toshiro) since she has no business mixing it up in combat, unlike most of the other realistic choices.

OK, lets bite.

Chiaki - Conditional removal and ranged slow spam, , if you ever fear the enemy might cause mayhem with conditions, Chiaki will be your go to girl.

Ten Thunders Brother - for when you want to stall enemy models all you can while also having the flexibility to be able to fight decently and be surprisingly good at scheme markers. They are the go to model when I need a 5 SS model generalist

Tengu - They are the big guns for when I need to take scheme marker based objectives.

Toshiro - can work with pretty much anybody, giving out fast or focus, summoning a few models here and there to compensate losses and pretty much just making all your minions be badasses. Also, allows to bring Punk Zombies into the party which is never bad.

Last slot has taken me a while to decide, but I'd say it's the Katanaka Snipers who edge it out. Long ranged fire support at the start of the game and very competent melee potential in the late game as well as having a trick with their 0 action.

• Like 1

Chiaki: Survivable, can give out slow, and remove conditions. For 6ss she is a bargain.

Illuminated: Brings a lot to the table. Very resilient, can go completely mental in the damage department under the right circumstances.

Kang: The staple against undead and constructs. Kang is hard to take down and will whomp enemies with his shovel.

Katanaka Sniper: Gives some neat ranged support, and are no push overs in melee either.

Tengu: Amazing scheme runners!

Kang (Henchman) - Must against Resser and good against other Masters who favour contructs

Lone Swordsman (Enforcer) - Love this guy, his triggers on melee make him very versitile and the 2" push means he can hide behind a building and then charge next turn.

Kamaitachi (Totem) - I like the push plus he's not a peon so counts in some strategies.

Chiaki (Enforcer) - Again nice heal, plus condition removal

Tengu - Working in a pair they are awesome scheme runners!

Chiaki - I find all her actions useful at one time or another, but condition removal is top

Tengu - Great scheme runners with any Master

Ama No Zako - Fast and with a decent damage spread, really like the flexibilty of her 0 actions

Yin - Good for gumming up the opponent and getting through WP duels

Thunder Archer - hard to pick the last one, but the Archer has a use with many crews, being able to shoot into melee or without LoS is great

Relatively new 10T player and some real gold here. I don't have many if the models suggested but will look into. How can toshiro, who is one I've just bought, summon? Is it via upgrade?

As ZFIEND said, it is through an upgrade. This upgrade will be included in both the M2E repack of the Yan Lo crew box and the Wave 2 TT arsenal deck.

• Like 1

Aside from Tengu, I think the generalist 'must have' models for 10T are all the expensive support pieces.

1. Tengu: The top tier objective runners in the faction.

2. Kang: Great model overall, and amazing support against undead and constructs.

3. Toshiro: Top tier support model, solid summoner. 

4. Chiaki: Condition removal and healing, while being survivable and cheap.

5. Sidir: Nice at range, but mostly once again a nice support piece. 

In general, I think most 10T models want their core models, then you add big support pieces that are appropriate. I don't want to pretend that it's that narrow, but those are the 5 that I think come up as important most often.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), to get 3 of those models, you need to have bought 3 of the box sets, which really dictates a lot of your collection. 

edit: Toshiro's upgrade isn't in the Yan Lo box set. I imagine it'll be in the Toshiro repack, and the arsenal pack. It's also in the official PDFs if you can find them.

Kang - For bodyguard, undead and constructs and all round tough guy - oh and chuck in a nasty damage track and AoE range damage in case everything else wasn't enough!

Sensei Yu - Amazing flexibility, especially with his choice of upgrades, but mainly for movement shenanigans. Wings of Wind on a master he's with is gold

Toshiro - Enhance minions and add summoning to any crew all wrapped up in a durable package

Brothers - For me hands down the best minion in the game and certainly one the most durable, but really it's about their flexibility that makes even Yu look one-dimensional.

Archers - A one trick pony but boy what a trick. Not many situations where at least one of these bad boys isn't useful.

Kang - Always to be taken against Ressers and Arcanists

10T Bros - Amazing models for 5 ss, they can do everything

Dawn Serpent - Cant believe no one has mentioned these guys.  They are amazing and make their way into most of my crews.  Their damage output is awesome and with a great healing action and hard to kill they take a lot to kill.

Tengu - Great scheme runners even if they die to a stiff breeze

Katanaka Sniper - Just edges the archers. Great ranged damage and even better in combat.  I really should get a second...

I feel after a game today that the Jigoku Samurai deserves an honorable mention. A mobile shooting platform that can take care of itself is fantastic, he gets you a bit of Izamu and a bit of Fuhatsu for a humble 8SS package, I can see him making it into more than a few lists.

Great to hear this as I have been meaning to try them out!

Yeah, I'm loving the Jigoku Samurai.

Im just going to spout out what others said, but here is my 5.

Chiaki: If I even have an inkling that my opponent has conditions he wants on me, she's in. Of course, she makes an amazing scheme runner, as well.

Illuminated: These guys are gold even without brilliance on the table. Arm 1, Reg 1, and (0) heal at 7ss make them a great buy. Add in Mv 5, and a damage track of 2/4/5 with both Ml, and Sh, these guys are very flexible in any crew.

Katanaka Sniper: I still have to re-read the card every now and then to make sure that these guys are really that good in melee, and still be such great snipers.

Sidir: Sidir is a solid Henchman, with a self heal. Put promises on him, and all your Ml beaters with upgrades get  :+fate to their attacks. Hell, he is good in Ml, too.

10T Archer: Range 12, ignore models when determining LoS, and shoot into combat without randomization is amazing. Add Rapid fire, and the ability to shoot blasts, and if focused, gets a free focus, these guys are awesome.

Honestly, there are so many more, but a lot of them have been mentioned. I think this faction has solid choices, and none of them are bad.

Brewmaster I personally see as "anything works here", hangover is such a brutal condition that pretty much anything that likes attacking stuff on - flips will like it. Right of the bat, Fuhatsu and Samurai love it since it makes those guns be more reliable, easier to trigger extra shots and to get more damage. Yin also loves the brewmaster since between the Wp debuff and the - flips, her horror can make her outright unapproachable. But I personally see the brewmaster in the Ten Thunders as a Hangover spamming engine that uses Obey/Choose your poison once in a while to position your stuff. Also, Fermented Monks, who are pretty solid base, become reactivate engines with Brewmaster.

Chiaki

Ten thunders brothers

Illuminated

Kang

Kamaitatchi

Would you like to clarify these as well? Your reasoning for the Neverborn models was really great. :)

Edit: while I might understand most of these choices and agree to most of them, I think it might still open some new thoughts. Especially on the Kamaitatchi I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Here's mine in no order

- Torakage/Illuminated (stat bricks across the board, fast, fairly tough and can dish out some hurt. Incredibly well rounded for their costs)

- Dawn Serpent (Just plain annoying to anybody who's faced one, really good minions)

- Sidir (Dudes got a big ass machine gun!)

- Izamu (The guy eats everything he touches!)

- Toshiro (Buff machine can make Illuminated or Torakage, heck even the Dawn Serpent hulk out)