Guild McMourning

MightyGodzilla

Standard disclaimer: it should depend on strategy, board, schemes, and opponent.

That said...

I mostly resser, but I enjoy Guild McMourning occasionally. I like him for scheme markers, especially. You can do poison, of course, but his resser crew is way more efficient for that, generally, while the guild models really are better at scheme's, for the most part.

Austringers, for standard austringer schenanigans- making others drop scheme markers especially.

Executioners to eat opponent scheme markers.

Tamper evidence- should be pretty self-explanatory.

Cant' remember the name of the upgrade, but gives Dougie Mac an aura of undead. Works decently with Judge and (theoretically, haven't tried it myself) exorcist to expoit their shiny new undead status.

There's almost certainly plenty more, but those are the one's I've used thus far personally. Mike from Malifools has a Guildougie fetish currently- check out some of his tech on the "Before We Begin" podcast. He's got some interesting synergies in there.

I don't quite understand the "Judge is good against undead" thing. Sure he has the possibility to do 2/4/8 or what was it, but as it's a duel with not that high of a cast, he usually just does 2 damage which he would do to anyone. What am I missing in that statement? 

I don't quite understand the "Judge is good against undead" thing. Sure he has the possibility to do 2/4/8 or what was it, but as it's a duel with not that high of a cast, he usually just does 2 damage which he would do to anyone. What am I missing in that statement? 

Not much. It's still a ranged attack which ignores cover and can be cast into melee, with a good second effect, and the potential to do good damage against undead. Also he could take Flames of the Pit, but that's about it.

• Like 1

Not much. It's still a ranged attack which ignores armor and can be cast into melee, with a good second effect, and the potential to do good damage against undead. Also he could take Flames of the Pit, but that's about it.

Cheers, that's about what I thought. I think it's a bit overhyped. 

For me a big reason to play Mcmorning is  access to nurses. They are so good with some of our more fragile beatsticks, like executioners. I think a list was mentioned on one podcast that was basically (executioner, nurse, witchling stalker)x2. they form two super killy teams and look after each other. Works well for certain schemes and strats, especially assassinate , reckoning etc

I know his assassination tricks are not as great as his resser self, but they do help shift some stubborn models who refuse to go any other way. The fact poison ignores most things bar hard to kill really helps for me. With his poison pushes he can the slink back and hand out precise and on the governor's orders to help buff his crew.

The other thing to consider is using Witchling Stalkers to remove conditions such as Paralyze from models that Nurses have healed. 

This plus Executioners, path finder etc with precise.

And of course...WOLVERINE 

LunarSol, on 07 Sept 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

snapback.png

I always associated those claws to Freddy Krueger.

I can see why but the healing factor........., sorry I used McMourning as Guild for the first time recently, he's the only master I've used as a beat stick he crumpled my opponent 10-0.

I had a game this week (my first ever with McMourning as guild) and I loved it.

I had stake a claim.. I think... but had already made up my mind that I wanted to try mcmourning... so I went with it.

Took a nurse, the Chihuahua, the lone marshal, the judge, a death marshal and an austringer. I don't remember what the other upgrades I had (aside from on the clock obviously)

it was cool. I thought it was interesting how he interacts with the guild. the Austringer was cool, healing the judge back from 1 wd was a dream come true! I didn't care that he was paralyzed. haha. also, rocketing the Chihuahua into the viks and a convict gunslinger just to drop off some poison was fun.... but how damn hard it was to kill the dog was just hilarious icing on the cake.

We had to call the game due to time, but I think with a little more planning, he could be my favorite guild master.

and I know there are haters out there... but I think he's a great fit. lol

Was it just unlucky flips that made the Chihuahua difficult to take out? I can't see how the Viks would struggle with it, so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing.

Well the Viks haven't even broken a sweat going through my entire Lynch crew so I am quite interested in knowing why they can't take down a chihuahua? :D

• Like 1

I love McMourning as a schemer for the Guild, he has so many movement enhancing options available to him (regardless of faction) such as Injection (great for plant explosives and the like) or the Nurses with a :crow for added Wk on schemerunners, such as Hounds or Watchers. Even Scalpel Slingin' has great mobility uses.

The Plastic Surgery Upgrade with That's the Stuff also allows him to get his groove on. Just park him next to the smelly handbag dog for a turn and watch him speed away for a turn or two with Poison +2.

Another model I've found to be effective with the Doc. is the Brutal Effigy, for added healin' through harmin', which McM. aldready does so well, thanks to so many wallets in the streets of Malifaux with an Organ Donor card. Still, I can't help to feel that if more citizens would have had "do not resusitate" info. on their persons, the resser problem would not be so dire... 

And as others have already mentioned: Nurses with a Witchling Stalker and a fragile beatstick also works wonders. (Or a Peacekeeper, which becomes a truly terrifing beast with healing options and Armor +2, not to mention the ability to ruin your opponents scheming with Advanced Protocol, which combines well with the Doc.'s Evidence Tampering)

The only model from the box which I can use with McM. as Guild - but don't - is Sebastian. He seems so Poison specific (and is great with the Doc. as a resser) that I can't seem to fit him in when playing as Guild. I suppose you could go the route with a Lawyer and a Performer for added Poison (and other great uses), but I feel that if you want to Poison people, you're better of playing McM. as a resser.

I just began playing Guild McM in a slow grow league and posted some of my thoughts here:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/103373-the-amazing-adventures-of-slow-growing-guild-mcmourning-in-helsinki/

The only model from the box which I can use with McM. as Guild - but don't - is Sebastian. He seems so Poison specific (and is great with the Doc. as a resser) that I can't seem to fit him in when playing as Guild. I suppose you could go the route with a Lawyer and a Performer for added Poison (and other great uses), but I feel that if you want to Poison people, you're better of playing McM. as a resser.

I sorta think the same but that three damage from activating with the Poison condition near Sebastian is just pretty damn huge. Without upgrades Sebastian is quite affordable, sorta durable and can be devastating in finishing off McMourning's poisoned victims. Heck, his own melee damage is quite obscene if you factor in the three extra damage from Poison.