Bad Majesty's Modular Malifaux

haychdee

Hey all,

Midst Malifaux fever I've decided to start on my own modular gaming board. It took me a while to decide on themes and such but going for an industrial kinda feel. Thinking lots of bricks, less of the fancy victorian details and with a good helping of sheet metal and pipes. Kinda making it up as I go with a rough theme in mind.

So starting from the ground up I ordered myself a laser cut, magnetic, modular board from back2base-ix over from Australia (Im from the UK). Ended up costing me double the board in postage and tax but its a good product. Not perfect however as some of the combinations result in gaps from slight alignment problems. I have 12 one foot tiles so I have enough for a 3'x3' board plus 3 optional tiles to mix things up. Anywho, I've planned out some basic road ideas and I have now started on the tower structure at it's somewhat more straight forward than other buildings.

Other buildings I will be including:

- Tower (either bell or clock)

- Pub/Tavern/Inn

- A smithing shop of some sorts

- Market stalls (low cover)

- Statue/Monument (centre objective)

- Train station (MAYBE!)

Anyways, enough rambling, on with pictures:

The board and foundations along with some early road layouts

16190120770_780210149f_o.jpg1

The WIP tower (also you can see here the board edges and the magnet system)

16189872788_1ef47215ba_o.jpg2

A close up of the front wall and door. The stones are made from various card, then given a (murky) PVA wash. The door itself is embossed plasticard, the frame is balsa and the hinges are sheet plasticard

16190120720_37d1c829be_o.jpg3 

A view of the back wall, the little squares are gonna be those reinforcement rods you see in old buildings, just something to break up the textures. The slanted roof bits are balsa and there for support

16376609882_0b4743ebf0_o.jpg4 

And a close up of the vents/windows which are made from sheet plasticard

15757507493_57a30472ac_o.jpg5 

And thats its for now, all C&C/questions iare welcome and I'm hoping to get ideas from the community along the way to give the board some extra flair.

BM

• Like 3

Looks dead sexy. Please tell me that you'll have a swinging pub sign! Any ideas on a name for it?

Also, do you know how you'll be doing the streets and pavements yet?

The pub will indeed be having a swinging sign, can you really call it a true pub without one!?

Will be calling it The Last Drop Inn which is in fact a pub from back home in York. I've always liked the name and it suits Malifaux pretty well.

I have started with the pavements and they are made up of individually cut rectangle tiles all of various thickness for a crooked look, pics to follow soon. The roads are going to be from embossed plasticard and a neat brick finish, should create a nice contrast.

I do have a few pics to show with a bit more done on the tower:

Firstly, Ive completed the base roof section. Pretty happy with the final result.

16376609752_003e424b3b_o.jpg8 

And as you may have spotted in the pic above I have added the edging to the tower body

15757507443_cf88838d37_o.jpg7

Thats all for now, sorry for the slightly boring update. Over the next few weeks I'm hoping to start some of the other tiles as well as getting the top tower finished for this.

C&C welcome as always

BM

• Like 1

Solid pub name indeed! I can't remember which pubs I visited in York, but the Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham was cool, as was Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

That's looking great... also inspiring me to get going on my own! I'm putting a board together that will be all tiles (for streets, dungeons and laboratories) and want that irregular feel as well, but the process of covering a 3 foot square area is putting me off. The alternative would be scoring a cardboard sheet and gluing it on... but it might look too boring.

Solid pub name indeed! I can't remember which pubs I visited in York, but the Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham was cool, as was Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

That's looking great... also inspiring me to get going on my own! I'm putting a board together that will be all tiles (for streets, dungeons and laboratories) and want that irregular feel as well, but the process of covering a 3 foot square area is putting me off. The alternative would be scoring a cardboard sheet and gluing it on... but it might look too boring.

Glad to provide some inspiration. The way I'm doing it is probably a little OTT and time consuming. Scoring card might look a tad underwhelming but there are plenty of other cheap options. Embossed plasticard is pretty cheap in the long run and you can get some awesome effects. Also look out for things like textured wallpaper, I've discovered some nice textures in those as well, just gotta careful not to press down too hard whilst playing.

Looking forward to seeing this reach completion, especially if it continues with this level of detail.

IT WILL reach completion, made that personal promise to myself, hopefully by christmas. Detail wise I kinda want to push myself more so hopefully it'll keep you all interested.

Wow making your own buildings is just a level of dedication I can't even fathom with so many models to paint still. That's awesome you're putting in so much effort to enhance your gaming experience. I am impressed.

It's always been a part of the hobby I love but never pay enough attention to. The 3 x 3 of Malifaux is ideal for me and I really cant wait to play a game on a purpose built board.

Whilst I can't bring you a digital hamper of pictures I can show you the early stages of the pavements/mental torture I have started:

16189872628_80998e0aff_o.jpg9 

The tiles are all cut from various thickness to give an uneven look. The gaps between look way more drastic because of the raw materials, hopefully once painted these will all look ok..............well thats the plan.

Only the 1 pic update but all ideas and any C&C is much loved.

BM

• Like 3

Hey all,

Just a quick update before I head off for my holidays. Not made much progress on the pavements but I have done some work on the curb that will separate the roads. I used embossed plasticard but I'm not too sure on it now, almost looks to neat and tidy so I'm gonna leave it for now and have a look at possible alternatives.

Onwards with the pictures:

Heres a close up of the corner section

16191619057_a2f5997893_o.jpg11 

And one of my (WIP) rifleman as scale in the door way of the tower

16189872568_f7070789a4_o.jpg10 

Only a little update, will hopefully make some big progress in the next few weeks,

C&C as usual

BM

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Finally I have an update for this project after it taking a back seat over the last few months.

I've sourced myself some laser cut window which has allowed me to get my scale sorted and get cracking onto construction.

So, on with the pictures!

The new tile which is going to be a building with 2/3 shops

16822972592_b4e06ac612_o.jpg

16822972532_42f712e206_o.jpg

16616775097_b604cbaf90_o.jpg

There's going to be 2 shop fronts/entrances at the front then an entrance up the stairs at the back. Still not 100% if I'm going to build the back wall all around or maybe model it as rubble.

All C&C welcome

BM

• Like 4

Suggestion, you could do some brick around the bottom about 1 inch high and that would make it look like it has a brick foundation. Would make the building look more visually interesting.

The building is just a shell at the moment. I will be covering the whole building in brick work and a whole host of gubbins

BM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...