is anything considered overpowered?

Kaptain_Konrad

My friend and I had this conversation regarding the way some models interact with Bodyguard.  I play Ressers as my main faction and both Bete Noir and Yan Lo's Ancestors can be killed and come back to life (multiple times with the Bete) which makes Bodyguard easier to achieve.  I often run Izamu and run him forward to do some beating then bring him back up with Reliquary.  With Yan's own heal and Izamu's self heal he can make a very tasty model for Bodyguard.  Bete is not quite as effective because she can't count for Bodyguard if she's buried (I assume she doesn't count as in play) but if you can pop her back up at the end of your own turn then you can usually easily score 2 VPs for being alive at the end of a turn and having more than half wounds at end of the game.

As Icemyn pointed out, it isn't that there aren't other targets, its the fact that it is an oversight in the rules, and that the most desirable target is the enemy master. 

Why is it an oversight?  I'm sure plenty of people in the relevant Beta's were aware it worked this way.  Am I missing something?

Sure it was pointed out in the beta. 

I imagine the conversation went something like this.

A - "This isn't intended."

B - "How do we fix it?"

A - "About a million lines of extra text on the stat cards for Dreamer and Levi or errata the schemes."

B - "How often does this come up?"

A - "Just about never."

B - *Shrug*

Also when you say relevant beta's keep in mind both masters are from Wave 2, thus the best fix is the ugliest option at that point. 

Leveticus was tested in both betas. Also, having an opinion and having a discussion is interesting and helpful, but I dunno how well any points can be made when they also put words in the developers mouths and qualify themselves with "I imagine". You make some great points, but remember they are points of view. My play group and I haven't had any complaints about Hamelin's or Dreamer's so-called loopholes.

Edited for good internet manners.

Saying "I imagine" was intended to convey a fictional situation.

These are the times I wonder how seriously people take the internets. 

I imagined Justin to be 'B' and the thought of him shruggin made me laugh, sorry it didn't fit your narrative. 

• Like 1

My friend and I had this conversation regarding the way some models interact with Bodyguard.  I play Ressers as my main faction and both Bete Noir and Yan Lo's Ancestors can be killed and come back to life (multiple times with the Bete) which makes Bodyguard easier to achieve.  I often run Izamu and run him forward to do some beating then bring him back up with Reliquary.  With Yan's own heal and Izamu's self heal he can make a very tasty model for Bodyguard.  Bete is not quite as effective because she can't count for Bodyguard if she's buried (I assume she doesn't count as in play) but if you can pop her back up at the end of your own turn then you can usually easily score 2 VPs for being alive at the end of a turn and having more than half wounds at end of the game.

You do know if I kill your bodyguard and you resummon it with yan lo I have denied you bodyguard cause the summoned model is not the model you declared bodyguard on.

A - "About a million lines of extra text on the stat cards for Dreamer and Levi or errata the schemes."

As has been pointed out a single line of extra text on the scheme/strats could easily counter this my stating any ability/action cannot remove the condition.  I have yet to encounter the problems discussed regarding Dreamer/Levi so I don't know how much of an issue it is but it doesn't appear to be a big deal to me.  Just pointing out that it is not difficult to account for these.

You do know if I kill your bodyguard and you resummon it with yan lo I have denied you bodyguard cause the summoned model is not the model you declared bodyguard on.

How so?  My declared model is Izamu.  Reliquary specifically states name a friendly Ancestor model (Izamu) which was killed or scarified in this game...summon the name model (Izamu) into base contact with target corpse marker.  Is there a rule or FAQ that specifically addresses this not being the case as I don't see how it could not be the model that you named (edit - this seems like I'm being argumentative which I'm not, this is a genuine enquiry.  Hard to get tone on the internet!).

<MOD HAT>

The original topic has been discussed at length and we now seem to be exploring tangents of the tangents of the topic.

Happy for people to discuss the points that we've moved onto in new threads (in the relevant parts of the board) but I think we're far enough off topic now that I'm comfortable calling time on this thread.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

</MOD HAT>