Hamelin basic crew

Stany

Hi all just wondered do people play a basic hamelin crew I.E Hamelin Nix rats Wretch x2 rat catchers x3 lost and rat kings as to keep it really themed and have found this to work well or do you really need to step outside these guys to have a chance in games cheers for any help and advice

Hamelin happens to play great with his themed Crew, something like Colette's like she is most usually surrounded by her same themed models, so yeah, I play him a lot, and I very rarely hire any other Outcast model with him apart from my beloved Lost kids (Kade, Candy, Iggy and Crooligans), and very very rarely Killjoy when I feel dirty

Hi all just wondered do people play a basic hamelin crew I.E Hamelin Nix rats Wretch x2 rat catchers x3 lost and rat kings as to keep it really themed and have found this to work well or do you really need to step outside these guys to have a chance in games cheers for any help and advice

Crooligans give him some much needed scheme marker placement.

Don't forget if Hamelin obeys them to interact they can still use the place afterwards..

Also, Rat catchers are rare 2. Not 3.

And don't hire Rat kings..

I love Candy, but she's wasted in Hamelins crew. Crooligans are super valuable in scheme marker heavy games, otherwise Moar rats. In my games, my opponent never forgets Nix, because he has to face Sonnia, Raspy, and Fears Given Form in every game.

Edit: not all at once....sadly

I actually rate Kade higher than Candy most of the times but I wouldn't discard the little girl so quickly. Yes, she is costly at 9ss, but she's a great Bodyguard model, and with so many activations on Hamelin's you can keep her Manipulative all the time if you feel so.

She alone can make your opponent's big hitters cry, and just position her right by the end of the turn, and see your opponent sweat when he realizes he cannot activate his most valuable model first on the next turn or it will be Paralyzed. Bonus if Iggy's Incite joins the fun (in my last game, Candy and Iggy neutralized McM 3 while Turns with just that 1 (0) Action from Iggy each turn, Candy only had to stay close to the doctor for it.

Also, a Survivalist Hamelin (I use to put that Upgrade on him most of the games) gets a + on Healing Flips, which Candy can handle up to 3 per turn.

So yeah, Candy is not an auto include model for sure, but she has its uses

And don't hire Rat kings..

I've found that hiring one Rat King at the start of the game and then using a Rat Catcher to give him Reactivate can give Hamelin a really strong early game.  If Hamelin has The Plague, he can use his Pipes to Lure a model closer and give it Blight +1.  Then the Rat King can charge that model for a single AP, possibly give it Slow via Bore, and then have another AP for attacking, plus a second activation to finish the job. 

• Like 1

I've found that hiring one Rat King at the start of the game and then using a Rat Catcher to give him Reactivate can give Hamelin a really strong early game.  If Hamelin has The Plague, he can use his Pipes to Lure a model closer and give it Blight +1.  Then the Rat King can charge that model for a single AP, possibly give it Slow via Bore, and then have another AP for attacking, plus a second activation to finish the job. 

Do summoned models which reactivate generate only 1 AP during their *second* activation of the same turn?

Because if so, I understand the good qualities of having a hired Rat King. Otherwise (in the case of them losing Slow - if that's why they only generate 1 AP [no book nearby, so I cannot read it verbatim for clarification - it might be something else entirely]), I think that hiring 3-4 rats (if 3, make another with the Wretch throwing a Rat at another Rat) is better for the sake of activation control, and then having them go into Rat King formation and having it do what it does best is good for what you are wanting here.

~Lil Kalki

Thanks, Fetid!

In such a case, my point stands; I think that 2-4 attacks (not counting Overwhelms) from a Rat King is probably more than enough to get rid of a given Blighted foe.

~Lil Kalki

Maybe, but sometimes that extra attack ends up being a pretty big deal, especially with the average-ish damage output of a Rat King.  Depending on how your opponent moves forward, it could also be a whole charge against a Blighted model, though that's admittedly a somewhat rare occurrence (and pretty much requires Hamelin to tag things with Blight).  If it was activation control all throughout the game, I'd agree with you, but I generally don't put a lot of emphasis upon activation control on Turn 1.  Or at least, not enough to go with the four rat approach. 

But, that's just down to playstyle, I suspect, rather than any real difference one way or the other.  :P

• Like 1

Something like this is what I'm having the most fun of:

Outcasts Crew - 50 - Scrap

Hamelin -- 6 Pool
+Sewer King [1]
+Survivalist [1]
+The Piper [2]

• The Stolen [2]
  • Candy [9]
  • Nix [8]
  • Baby Kade [7]
  • Rat Catcher [6]
  • Iggy [5]
  • Obedient Wretch [4]

Saturday i tried this List against a Raspu Crew

Outcasts Crew - 50 - Scrap

Hamelin -- 5 Pool
+Sewer King [1]
+Survivalist [1]
+The Piper [2]

Malifaux Child [2]
Crooligan [4]
Crooligan [4]
Killjoy [12]
+Oath Keeper [1]
Malifaux Rat [2]
Malifaux Rat [2]
Nix [8]
+Hollow [2]
+Infectious Melodies [1]
Obedient Wretch [4]

and it did pretty good, even after i moved Nix too far and lost him before i could sling Killjoy to Raspu via Rat+Infectious Melodies

4 Obeys are pretty cool ^^
  • Like 1

Entrac: How soon did you find yourself needing to swap in a Stolen for your Malifaux Child? Because I know that with me playing Hamelin, I like having Stolen out ASAP to shore up defenses, and that's why I never really considered using the Child (since he would be replaced so quickly in my crew via Stolen summoning). Also, why only 2 Rats? I suppose it is a matter of taste and/or room, but I'd probably prioritize 3 just in case the Wretch whiffs on tossing a Rat at another Rat, so Rat Kings T1 become a thing (that is, unless you want to slow roll the likes of activation control).

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: Also bear in mind that sometimes I play Hamelin without any Rats whatsoever, and make a point not to summon any Rats. It's funny, but unfluffy and janky XD

I managed to hold on to the Child till i obeyed the Ice Golem to move away from Killjoy and "offered" him Hamelin as an extra target. Before he could attack me i swaped the Child for 2 Stolen and was pretty safe again.

The rats...well i tried the Rat tossing Chain for the first time so i just went with two. And for the time beeing i will stick with 2. As of yet the Wretch ( and my hand) haven't failed me. And even if they will, i still got the second turn to get to my Ratcatcher

Been looking at Sue never played him and don't here him mentioned with Hamelin but looking at his card (tread the line) giving models "Finnish the job" I.e throwing it on rats stolen even the wretch may work well as they buy it a lot and you can always then use it for rat kings 0 gnaw action to move them using the marker left! and he's handy with a gun maybe swop him in for a gunslinger? Any thought or ideas for people that have run him and any upgrade ideas?

Cheers all