Gremlins, Bayou and Booze!

bandages

Wow. The Juju and the 'Geists are amazing! 

Absolutely love the addition of static grass and clump foliage on Bad Juju. It adds so much to the Swamp Man concept of the model. Great execution on an otherwise "blah" model (not a fan of the "blocky" plastic model).

Thank you both, much appreciated.

Slowing taking pictures now, the Kin are basically done.

Ophelia1_zpsbd5b83e6.jpg

• Like 3

Your work is absolutely incredible. I find the scenery you've laser cut to be absolutely astonishing as well.

Thank you! I hadn't updated it in a while but this was my favourite of all the laser cut pieces I made:

41168388-0511-4A2C-8B56-847BF7670BC9_zps

These are simply amazing!

The wood looks very realistic. Care to share your aging effect technique?

Much appreciated!

The wood effect is fairly simple and easy to do, but a little time consuming. These were the inspiration:

527053_sm-SprueHutFig53_zps77d09bee.jpg

weathered-wood-3_medium_zps0a2e46dc.jpg

I started by cutting up wooden Coffee/tea stirrers into plank shapes then using a needle file to shape them into worn/broken planks.

After priming, I used a mix of Cermite white, Mechanicus grey and Tan (gw: XV-88) to make a dirty grey base for them all. Then liberally washed them in black (Nul Oil).

The next part was the trickiest/most time consuming. I have the shakiest hands ever, especially for painting (It's why I'll never even attempt eyes!), but for the grain in the wood it came in quite handy. I simply watered down a light grey, Bone (Zandri Dust) and Dark Brown, then made then thinnest wood grain lines i could, being wood it didn't matter too much how consistent/straight the lines were. Predominantly with the Light grey, but sporadic lines of the brown and bone colour helped break up the grey monotony.

Here's Bert and a pretty bad picture of the crew so far.

BurtJebsen2_zps07427f66.jpg

BayouGremlins8_zps9d904127.jpg

• Like 6

It looks like you are going the route of the thing the doppelganger is holding is her own skin?

I know I have talked a lot about this, but there are one glaring problem with doing it like that- it quickly becomes to much of the same colours, which can make the figure seem a bit bland. 

I have thought about maybe making the skin she is holding a bit more of a cold dead skin colour(some white and blue tones?), and with some blood in the corners. I think it will be hard to really pull it off though :/

Other then that I think you have some really nice minis!

- I love the grey colour for the Waldergeist, it makes a good contrast to the brown base. The moss on your Bad Juju is also really neat! ^^

The colours on the nurse seems a bit muddy compared to your other figures though, you might want to take an off white and clean the lines between the white and dark colours.

But again, really love your swamp crew, nice and clean colours :)

• 3 weeks later...

A slight change in direction for me and this blog.

I had initially committed to Gremlins and pork free ones at that, but I just feel that the speed of Wyrd releases is too slow. 2 box sets a month across all factions? C’mon! Your site is called: Giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou !! How can I when I am waiting for more Gremlins. Where the hell is Merris? Where is Trixy?? Where is Old Cranky??? I cannot wait anymore!

Rant over.

Anyway, I have been intrigued by Collodi and his playstyle.  But again, no new box set on the horizon so I  was lucky enough to pick up a 1st edition one on sale for £20. I consider this to be an experimental crew, both in my attempt to pay them and what to do with them aesthetically.

IMG_3271_zpsnw2s5qaz.jpg

I realised I’d need a Vasilisa, now without seeing the artwork I presumed she’d be Collodi’s partner (Coming for the Greek for Queen). Having googled some proxies I was left with: product_60294_zpsgf9nhlht.jpg

Which is great but it seems that everyone has it and I wanted something a little different. I imagined her as a cross between a harlequin and masquerade ball aesthetic.

Harlequins_badge_zpsmka7fmfh.png

I came across this model and though that a few things could be done to her.

Assassin_3_zpsi9w9qdkt.jpg

Ive filed down her hair and tried to green stuff it to look like a hood and extension to her cloak. Her concealed dagger on her left arm has been cut off and I plan to make a small puppet so that it looks as though she is controlling it. I now realise that  Vasilisa is not really a  puppeteer but I am hoping that the theme overshadows my fluff mistake.

IMG_3294_zpspbdwacxb.jpg

IMG_3274_zpslcbnko25.jpg

Next up is completely new ground for me, and I am looking for any tips possible.  Again, there is no plastic release for the Stitched together, and I cannot find any anywhere, not even on the bay. So, this being an experimental crew, I decided to have a go at sculpting some. I am not 100% happy with the results. The stitches especially I found tricky to get the scale right on and to give them a ‘threaded’ feel. I tried to make the lower parts of their bodies; legs bellies, necks, etc, seem as though the excess skin was sagging but Iam not sure how well it has come across.

IMG_3293_zpsb4y9pokc.jpg

IMG_3278_zpsaspq244b.jpg

IMG_3275_zpssiheno44.jpg

IMG_3276_zpsf8qaa1gx.jpg

In the end, sculpting is something I’d like to get better at so dispite the results I think I’ll have another go at it at a later date.

Finally the bases. I imagined colloid to be a street performer. So the majority of the crew will be on cobblestones, which ones look better? I think the GS ones but the misses says the yellow ones…

IMG_3292_zpscofsmweh.jpg

I also want Collodi himself to be on something special. I am thinking a small stage with a set of curtains behind him:

stock-vector-vector-image-of-the-illumin

and a name display, or a wall with a puppet show advertising poster, not sure yet.

• Like 1

That is some more wonderful work you have posted up there. Really looking forward to seeing the completed Collodi crew.

Warning, Continued Rant follows;

Definitely sucks that Wyrd again chose to include a model that was wholly unavailable in metal, and fairly key to the functioning of the overall crew, only in the new crew box.

I dont mind buying new product (hell I have virtually everything Wyrd produced from 1st edition) but I am getting real annoyed with the idea that re-buying an entire crew box for one model, and then trying to sell the excess on a virtually non-existent secondary market is somehow a reasonable expectation for the older community and those in the new that prefer the metal sculpts or bought them because the plastics weren't available yet. The first few times it happened I can understand that it was perhaps an "oversight" but with each new release that continues the "oversight" it moves people further away. None of us are asking for anything overly complicated, simply an outlet to purchase the one model from the company (perhaps even limited to only the online store to curtail retailers complaining about having to stock yet another SKU outside of yet another fate deck or colored base option of course).

The alternative of searching for a suitable proxy, then converting it to a suitable level, doesn't benefit Wyrd at all since they dont see a dime of that route.

Rant over.

Back on topic,

Have you thought about extending Coloodi's torso at all? The metal model looks a bit squat compared to the concept art. It isn't a difficult process and requires only the smallest of level of proficiency with pinning (to create a stronger connection via a metal spine) and green stuff work (mainly in smoothing). Based on your scratch built Stitched Together up there you shouldnt have any problems at all with either of those.

I have had mine posted in the Wyrd Chronicles #10 gallery if you want to take a look.

• Like 1

Have you thought about extending Coloodi's torso at all? The metal model looks a bit squat compared to the concept art. It isn't a difficult process and requires only the smallest of level of proficiency with pinning (to create a stronger connection via a metal spine) and green stuff work (mainly in smoothing). Based on your scratch built Stitched Together up there you shouldnt have any problems at all with either of those.

I have had mine posted in the Wyrd Chronicles #10 gallery if you want to take a look.

I did see that one actually and wondered how Collodi seemed more menacing, I am also a big fan of the extended 'claws' which many people seem to have done well.

However, I am far too scared that I might try something and actually ruin the sculpt!

Here's a little progress on his base. The Border on the stage sign still needs filing and sanding down to be at least smooth but I am generally happy with it.

AA9B70B9-B613-4B3B-A8FA-E8911480EBB6_zps

86140BCE-40F0-4527-BF74-56CE3741CF02_zps

29701288-211B-4339-8113-533069338749_zps

• Like 2

Love the addition of a scenic base (reminds me of my Som'er Teeth Jones). With the extra height that will add, it should make him more menacing without having to alter the sculpt.

If you change your mind though it really wasn't a huge issue to do. I simply sawed mine in half right under the buttons with a jewelers saw, though hack saw would work just as well). Added a 1" brass rod spine (actually more like 1.5" when you consider the portions in the two holes). And finally added green stuff in two layers. The first to build the bulk, the second to define the cloth folds (essentially nothing more than adding strips of rolled putty vertically and then smoothing them in with a sculpting tool). The claws were really easy, they came from Privateer Press' parts store and belong to the Skorne Warlock Morghoul from their Hordes line.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Z!

Slightly different note, my access to a laser cutter at work has been a great benefit in this hobby. I was recently asked by my local club to make some trophies for a doubles tournament they're holding. Gutted that I am unable to attend (We've just had Twins!) but hopefully the Winners trophies are suitable    :)

If anyone can spot the blatant design inspiration I'd be happy.

IMG_3376_zps1uqvo1wz.jpg

IMG_3377_zpsd71pm9du.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great looking crews you have going, the only thing I'd toss out idea wise would be to have the Collodi "stages" fit together at the edges. I know that can have a bit of basing over hanging the base but I think that could have it tie together great in a display board. Or just having some bits for a display board that gets them to connect could work.