Scale of Multi part minis off?

ehren37

I got my package today, and immediately ripped into the multi-part miniature sprue. I noticed the scale seemed off, similar to the initial Viktoria box. For example, the females are all as tall as Mr Graves and tower over everyone else.  I remember them saying the scale was off initially. Are they sending the correct version later? Did I get a packing error?  Or are these new MPM's supposed to represent a race of giants?

Maybe they are in a different scale because they for through the breach rather then Malifaux? Since these are suppose to be players manifestations of there characters so they upscaled them so you can add more detail. Well that is my guess anyways.

They're not really any more detailed. Just bigger. Also I see no reason to make them out of scale when you would also be using Malifaux minis in the RPG. The male figures are also all smaller than the females, so I'm leaning towards they fixed the scale for one sprue but not the other. 

Interesting, will check my real fast

Comparing the females to my plastic Nurse and they seem a bit bigger.  So I went one step further and compared different sections.  The torso and hips seemed similar sized but it was the legs that seemed longer.  After examining that and also my Pandora and Beckoner I determined that the length off seeme to be that extra section they have on some of the models  that is betweenshoe to edge of pants.  If that was removed they would be pretty close to the same size.  So about 3mm per leg.  I also checked Sonnia's plastic who has long legs and they look about 2mm longer than hers but the torsos and head were compareable size though the multi pose sprue's arms seem a little longer *but many are bent so harder to tell*.

So now that I am thinking about it I also compared the female to male, and it looks like the female legs are longer than the male ones.  Again by that 3cm it seems.  Taking this a step further I grabbed my Wastrels, Metal Lucius, and my pieces of plastic McMourning, Hopkins, and one convict gunslinger.  The Wastrel was the one with the top hat and the one with the chains around his fists.  First thing I noticed about the Wastrels was that the Top hat one appears to be a bit smaller than the chain one, as he is standing strait and the chain one is slouching and bent knees.  So the Chain one if standing strait would be about half a head taller than the top hat.  So comparing the the two to the bits *still on sprues as I have not taken them off* it looks like they are closer in comparison to the chain fist Wastrel if he was standing strait.  Grabbing metal Lucius next it looks like he is a tad smaller than the plastic, he seems more in line with the top hat wastrel.  Going with Hopkins next his Torso and legs seem to be on a similar scale.  Convict Gunslinger also seems similarly scaled but he is the slightly slouched forward one.  Likewise McMourning seems smilarly scaled.

So at least from what I can tell it seems like the female multi pose are about 2-3mm longer in the legs.  Used a simple ruler against the male and female and it looks like the male torso plus legs is about 33mm on this ruler and the females are closer to 36mm.  Mind you I am not sure how good the ruler is but using the same ruler and comparing it seems should at least show there is a difference.

They're not really any more detailed. Just bigger. Also I see no reason to make them out of scale when you would also be using Malifaux minis in the RPG. The male figures are also all smaller than the females, so I'm leaning towards they fixed the scale for one sprue but not the other. 

I did not know this. I was thinking the whole sprue was out of scale not just the females. It blows my hypothesis out of the water.

Well my box is'nt here yet (europe) but you gotta be f******* kidding me right...... so after almost 1,5 years the models are still not correct, or in order. Well It seems there will be giants afterall. seriously this is a SERIOUS let down. Them knowingly sending out the models with the books. Who know are also Gencon material as predicted so they would'nt hit ebay and also to get a lot of money from it during gencon. I don't even have my package yet and feel screwed. But hey alteast i get a box I already both have so gee thanks. (I heard from a friend it's either Misaki or Sonnia)

It's not limited to Misaki and Sonnia, Raven. I've seen people say they got Ramos, Raspy, Pandora, McMourning, Nicodem or Lilith, and that's just what I can remember that has been commented on.

It is somewhat concerning about the scaling though, I'll certainly have a look when I get mine through and ask a friend who's already got his to take a look too and tell me what he sees).

Concerning really that all? They shipped everything out, so that they are able too sell it for Gencon. I mean any miniatures company should and would know this yet they did'nt comment on it and hoping on what? That we will be missing it? I find this bad and disgusting. Atleast they could've said well some and most likely all boxes have this issue and for the people who will be shipped this item they can contact us if they want a correct one later on when it's there if ever. But again they chose willingly chose for a no communication policy. On the Boxes well i only need ramos then but that's not their problem either and i don't mind it that much it makes a nice gift to someone else. However i wonder if I even wanna promote it :S

Well, until I see it for myself it's only a concern that I have. Once I see the scaling in person (mine haven't reached me in the UK yet), then I'll have a proper reaction to it.

I've so far seen no scaling photos, or ones in person, nor has anyone I know personally looked at it.

So yes, concerning is all. I don't see why I should be required to get any more worked up than that, really.

I'll post up pics a bit later, but I think I've figured what the issue is. I grabbed the first male and female minis I could, and new plastic to new plastic, yes technically the females are a little bigger, but you could easily miss it. First gen plastic to new plastic, the height is more noticeable, and metal Lady J to new plastic is a severely noticeable height difference (lady J stands at an Average Female's shoulders).

Yeah, the scales are definitely off. The legs are WAY too long, heads are a tad too small, and arms are a tad too skinny....

Some (not too good) scale photos:

mpmscale01.jpg

NE Tara - Female MPM - Male MPM - Kang - Male MPM - Mei Feng - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut - Hannah

mpmscale02.jpg

Mei Feng - NE Tara - Female MPM - Hannah - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut

mpmscale03.jpg

Male MPM - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut

So, cutting the ankles seems to more or less solve the "too long legs" issue, but still doesn't help with the heads and arms...and also, can't do it easily on the legs with jeans...

• Like 1

Concerning really that all? They shipped everything out, so that they are able too sell it for Gencon. I mean any miniatures company should and would know this yet they did'nt comment on it and hoping on what? That we will be missing it? I find this bad and disgusting. Atleast they could've said well some and most likely all boxes have this issue and for the people who will be shipped this item they can contact us if they want a correct one later on when it's there if ever. But again they chose willingly chose for a no communication policy. On the Boxes well i only need ramos then but that's not their problem either and i don't mind it that much it makes a nice gift to someone else. However i wonder if I even wanna promote it :S

To be fair, the figures were packaged with the male sprue on top, and that one seems mostly fine. If the manufacturer mixed in old "big scale" female sprues, it would be hard to catch. 

On the up side, it looks like you can actually make 13 figs per sprue by my count, not 11. Granted, I haven't built them all, but there's 13 heads, torso's and sets of arms/legs.

Huh, apparently I have not tried to put any images up since they changed the forums way back, have to figure that out later.  Tried to put a torso and legs against Sonnia and a few others.  Luckly Nightseer put up some comparison.

To be honest while I am sad that some of the scale is off I am at least relieved that it seems to be in the legs mostly.  The head and arms I can deal with more as they are less noticable at a glance or by themselves and in the arms case some things can be done to better define them.  I mean the nurses and some of the other new plastics also have spindly arms so at least similiarity.  It is the Legs that were noticable as soon as it was put next to a model for me and of all of them that is the easiest for me to correct when I am working with them.  I have done enough hack work in my days that this is a minor job at least.

So outraged?  No.  Disappointed? I still got my stuff and I can work with it at least.  Sad?  A tad as it means I might not be picking more of the female sprues in the future unless I really need to for something.

Yeah, the scales are definitely off. The legs are WAY too long, heads are a tad too small, and arms are a tad too skinny....

Some (not too good) scale photos:

mpmscale01.jpg

NE Tara - Female MPM - Male MPM - Kang - Male MPM - Mei Feng - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut - Hannah

mpmscale02.jpg

Mei Feng - NE Tara - Female MPM - Hannah - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut

mpmscale03.jpg

Male MPM - Female MPM - Female MPM with ankles cut

So, cutting the ankles seems to more or less solve the "too long legs" issue, but still doesn't help with the heads and arms...and also, can't do it easily on the legs with jeans...

That's it?

That could just be the old "some people are taller than others" issue...

Hardly noticeable.

• Like 1

Looking at the jeans, I think there's a spot below the knee that you could cut to get rid of about a millimeter or two.  With the incredibly skinny bare ankles, I really can't tell whether that's supposed to be an ankle for channeling for the injection plastic.  There's what, five identical bare ankle legs, three identical jean legs, two prosthetic legs, etc.  So you might want some variety in length for height anyway.

It is sort of nice to have some above average height models for women without high heel boots for a change.  :lol:

• Like 1

I must admit that (and this is a matter of personal taste) i dont like the elongated legs at all. It gives the models a weird look that puts them right into the 'uncanny valley' for my feeling.

Unfortunatly i'm not at all skilled in cutting up models and using bits of greenstuf to fix it so if it bothers me in the actual models as much as it does in the pictures they may end up for trade, pitty that it is as i was really looking forward to the models.

From what i understand though the male models don't have this problem so at least i'll be able to make some nice models from those for our group.

That's it?

That could just be the old "some people are taller than others" issue...

Hardly noticeable.

It is actually a bit more noticable.  Here are the pictures I took of one, missing the head, along side plastic Sonnia, plastic Pandora, a plastic nurse, metal Alyce, metal Taelor, Plastic Female Illuminated, Plastic Orian, and a plastic Torakage.

Not the best pictures but enough to see height difference, I tried to get close so it was clear and have bigger pictures.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05262_zps8db2f997.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05270_zps48b62569.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05268_zpsa6d9e616.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05273_zps46fa477d.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05290_zps15a6f5ef.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05287_zps169f6429.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05283_zpsc9c1c14b.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u548/EnternalVoid/DSC05281_zps165349c3.jpg

Again it does not look like it will be hard to cut and reglue the legs to reduce the size a bit but I hope these pictures help.

Mako did you get you package, I was just wondering if you had put some of the miniatures together and maybe started painting some, considering you painting skills it would be interesting to se the outcome :)

Not going to be happening any time soon...