A great write up, thanks for taking the time and putting all the effort into it. I actually played my first game as a Dreamer (summoner) and it was a huge difference. Before I played with Guild only.
Managing resources was a challenge, I had a great hand turn 1, brought the twins and killed Misaki turn 2. Unfortunately, after that I had terrible cards on hand (despite stoning each turn) and had hard time doing anything. I also made a mistake with placement after bringing Chompy in,should have played more defensively.
Anyway, I had a lot of fun running Dreamer and I look forward to reading more here.

• Like 1

A great write up, thanks for taking the time and putting all the effort into it. I actually played my first game as a Dreamer (summoner) and it was a huge difference. Before I played with Guild only.

Managing resources was a challenge, I had a great hand turn 1, brought the twins and killed Misaki turn 2. Unfortunately, after that I had terrible cards on hand (despite stoning each turn) and had hard time doing anything. I also made a mistake with placement after bringing Chompy in,should have played more defensively.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun running Dreamer and I look forward to reading more here.

Thank you! I'm glad it helped someone out in an actual game. C: is there anything I didn't expand on enough? Anything, besides other models of course, that I haven't included enough information on?

I know that I mentioned Summoner Dreamer is very resource intensive, but I'm glad you managed it! :3 And how did you like the twins? May I asked what they did, besides just outright killing Misaki? And did you take any Stitched together?

Edit: Sorry if I'm asking too much! ^^; I just wanna know what I can improve on or help with!

And how did you like the twins? May I asked what they did, besides just outright killing Misaki? And did you take any Stitched together?

The Twins were great. I summoned both turn 1 and healed them up fast. I used the (0) Lie in Wait on Lelu so that he could get a free strike when Teddy (which had been lured into combat by Lilitu earlier) pushed Misaki and that ended her. So, between those three, Misaki went down (taking Teddy with her after two successful Assassinate triggers in a row, I prevented only the first one). Later on I managed to summon Lelu again and used his Ml7 attach with Accomplice on Dreamer - this worked quite well. In general I found Lelu to be a good beatstick (though without much resilience) and Lilitu to be a more versatile one with her Lure and Rg 4' in Melee.

My opponent played really well and made up for being outactivated with some good plays. He forced :-fate  flips  and I had no way of countering them. Also, I forgot that Torakage ignore Disengaging Strikes so my brilliant idea of popping Chompy among three of them was not so great after all.

I summoned one Stitched in and Accompliced it to Gamble your life but it was unsuccessful and I had no high cards to cheat the result. It got Reactivate but went down seconds later.

I also took Tuco, mainly because of the terrain. There was a nice tall building from which he had a good view on the center (as you can see in the pic below). I was really pleased with him as he took down two minions and used his Lure-like ability quite well.

firstdreamer_1_zpssux1htud.jpg

As I wrote earlier, this was my first game with Dreamer and some of my mistakes resulted in me not knowing the cards well enough. Also, my opponent was pretty new to the game so we agreed to pick the same schemes (Make them Suffer and ALitS) and revealed them to keep things simple. The former doesn't work well for this crew as minions can go down pretty quick... The Strategy was Reconnoiter. I don't play too often (once or twice a month) but I look forward to using Dreamer again, maybe with Restless Dreams this time.

As far as suggestions for more content in the Tactica are cocerned, you might consider adding a section in which you'd describe problematic situations for Dreamer and suggestions for dealing with them. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Raspy, Sonnia, Armored enemies.

• Like 5

In general I found Lelu to be a good beatstick (though without much resilience) and Lilitu to be a more versatile one with her Lure and Rg 4' in Melee.

My opponent played really well and made up for being outactivated with some good plays. He forced :-fate  flips  and I had no way of countering them. Also, I forgot that Torakage ignore Disengaging Strikes so my brilliant idea of popping Chompy among three of them was not so great after all.

I summoned one Stitched in and Accompliced it to Gamble your life but it was unsuccessful and I had no high cards to cheat the result. It got Reactivate but went down seconds later.

I also took Tuco, mainly because of the terrain. There was a nice tall building from which he had a good view on the center (as you can see in the pic below). I was really pleased with him as he took down two minions and used his Lure-like ability quite well.

The former doesn't work well for this crew as minions can go down pretty quick... The Strategy was Reconnoiter. I don't play too often (once or twice a month) but I look forward to using Dreamer again, maybe with Restless Dreams this time.

As far as suggestions for more content in the Tactica are cocerned, you might consider adding a section in which you'd describe problematic situations for Dreamer and suggestions for dealing with them. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Raspy, Sonnia, Armored enemies.

-Lots of snips, no context lost-

A section for problematic situations I can do, especially since I have a lot of hand with playing The Dreamer against Sonnia Criid. I can tell you that the big thing is usually, with far range masters, is to distract them. If Make Them Suffer is in the pool, summon or hire enforcers as much as possible. If you're playing Dreams of Pain, summon models to let them kill, satiate their bloodlust while you accomplish other schemes. If you're playing Restless Dreams, use your Daydreams to push and get right up in their face. Don't let them just freely destroy you, make someone get in their way so that they have to deal with them.

Thank you very much, I'll definitely use your input >W<

• Like 4

I have a quick question for all you Dreamer players out there. Looks like it might be coming up later in the guide, but i'll go ahead and ask anyway since I'm just getting into dreamer...

does he like to activate early in the turn, or later? Does this change depending on the two main upgrades? I can see LCB focused dreamer going early in the turn, but what about summoning dreamer? Or do you go early(ish) depending on when you want to time empty night on a specific model?

=]

I have only played summoning Dreamer and I find he is not locked into an early late turn. I most often activate him about mid, normally to push some models or to take advantage of something my enemy did. Unless I have a good mask or crow in my hand or I do not plan on summoning he tends never to be the first model to activate.

• Like 2

He's very flexible as to when you activate him. Honestly it depends with he needs to do in a turn i.e. remove conditions, attack, push his friends around, go chompy face, etc.

When summoning I'll generally activate him after at least a day dream can push a friend and sac itself for masks, but usually much later in the turn. This Dreamer almost always has activation advantage (Hamelin and the rats can probably challenge that} so you can leave your heavier models until later in the turn after daydreams/beckoners/lilitu have pushed them and their victims all into position.

With a more straight up support dreamer, he goes whenever he needs to. Pushing teddy into flurry range, healing, removing debuffs, activate as needed.

With chompy Dreamer make sure he has a 'sucker' to nail with damage in range before activating, you're going to be trying to pop out Chompy just about every turn with this build and need an enemy to damage for his waking. This build is all about maxing your masters AP across the two models, so setting up dreamer with targets each turn is priority one. 

• Like 1

I have a quick question for all you Dreamer players out there. Looks like it might be coming up later in the guide, but i'll go ahead and ask anyway since I'm just getting into dreamer...

does he like to activate early in the turn, or later? Does this change depending on the two main upgrades? I can see LCB focused dreamer going early in the turn, but what about summoning dreamer? Or do you go early(ish) depending on when you want to time empty night on a specific model?

=]

For the most part, even when you are playing Lord Chompy Bits, the Dreamer should activate in a way that maximizes his Pleasant Dreams healing. If you're playing Summoner Dreamer, for example, and plan on summoning 3 models in one turn, or plan on ending with Waking +2 for some reason or another, you should activate him later so that his healing is the most effective. In the same vein, if you're having models go defensive and hold points, perhaps its better to move him sooner and get him into a position where that helps. In the same way, you should plan on activating him in a way that replacing him with Lord Chompy bits doesn't make you bang your head because you suddenly lost a powerful healing aura. Don't activate him early if you don't have to and lose out on that!

Of course, as a support master, it's all about context. You don't ever really have to activate him soon, like Nicodem, because his buffs are either during his activation or are static. You either activate and throw out condition removal / push / heal / free attacks / fast or you simply exist close enough to heal. The skill of using a support master is being able to recognize the right place to activate him in all the many different contexts. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd really love to see thoughts about Beckoners with the Dreamer; I've read quite a few things talking about their utility in almost any crew.

I'd also be curious to see thoughts on Illuminated; or the idea of Mr. Tannen and that elusive summoned Teddy.

Great article(s), thanks a million!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey guys Im looking at trying out a dreamer summoning list, just after pointers and advice.

50ss

5ss pool

The dreamer

- Dreams of pain

- on wings of darkness

- otherworldly

Daydream x 3

Alp

Alp

stitched together

teddy

- on dreaming wings

Widow weaver

- The mimics blessing

I think the upgrades are right, so any advice is welcome. 

Looks like it's headed in the right direction. 

Couple of things: Alps aren't worth hiring under basically any circumstances. Wouldn't bother with mimics blessing on widow weaver since it drives up her cost and she often wants to activate early in the turn anyways. Teddy with on dreaming wings is usually worse than nekima, for the same price, even in a dreamer list. Accomplice on Dreamer is a take it or leave it thing based on personal preference. Overall, I think your list has too much upgrade bloat. 

The main thing with list building is that you want to tailor it to the schemes and strategy. Say you are playing squatters rights, then you want to be using silurid or insidious madness to score the scheme and something like lilitu / waldgeist to deny it. 

Best of luck with your games. 

Thanks for the pointers, also do you know a good sub model for the insidious madness and the nephilim siblings  

For Lelu i lucked out and got what was probably the last mini in the region, shortly after i got mine they went out of stock, likely for good until the plastic ones arrive. For Lilitu i use this gal i had around already, looking all devilish, hot and with a thorny whip. But the real fun was with the Insidious Madness. For an easy and appropriate proxy the closest i ever found was this guy which would do perfectly if he's available near you, but i'm in Europe without anyone nearby selling Reaper stuff beyond Bones, and this critter only got bonesified in the last KS so i imagine it'll be at least a year and a half before it hits the stores. So, i decided to scratchbuild :D

• Like 2