Unboxing Som'er Teeth Jones 'The Bayou Boss' Set

GMort

You know what I think I'm going to miss? One piece gremlin models.

We have beautifully detailed one piece Witchling Stalkers, but Gremlins, well, those have to be a dozen pieces.

So the new barrier to entry is the models? Seems rather contrary to have done all that work "streamlining" the rules to ease entry only to make assembly into a major point of frustration and new barrier to entry.

They may be beautiful and extremely detailed models (great for painting comps) but if they require an "experienced" hand to assemble then they are missing the mark (especially for those that only paint for "the three foot look" or only want to play the game).

Yep. Make the rules easy and the models a litmus test for new players. A miniatures equivalent of Mjolnir, if you will.

• Like 1

So the new barrier to entry is the models? Seems rather contrary to have done all that work "streamlining" the rules to ease entry only to make assembly into a major point of frustration and new barrier to entry.

They may be beautiful and extremely detailed models (great for painting comps) but if they require an "experienced" hand to assemble then they are missing the mark (especially for those that only paint for "the three foot look" or only want to play the game).

:+fate  so hard. 

I snapped a single antenna (and its mirror) on the skeeters. I'm honestly just considering snapping the others to save that inevitable "razzumfrazzum" moment later. On the plus side, I bought some clear plastic, and they cool pretty cool flying.

That's what I'm planning on doing with mine; I think I'll try and model the legs in a 'flying pose', with them just kind of hanging straight, and pin them so I can easily put them on and off some flying bases.

Ease-of-assembly should absolutely have been a major consideration for models that not only are the core of a starter box but also staple models at a version relaunch.

I'm thankful that all I want is another blister of BGs.  Don't have to deal with the Somer or Skeeter assembly issues at all, and I've got a metal Lenny.

In total agreement Darguth, there is a local Henchman that has pretty much had to resort to assembling crews for newer players. Though the gremlin's in particular may excel as Painting Comp subjects, I really think they are too advanced for newer gamers and to delicate for typical play/ transportation.

I am grateful that they decided to sell the Bayou Gremlin's separately because like you they are the only thing I am even interested in. I am not a fan of the "new" gremlin art direction (especially the new Lacroix's) but the Bayou Gremlin's will at least fit in with the mass of metal Gremlin's I currently have.

• Like 1

The model's are beautiful. They really are. There's a lot of character in the gremlin sculpts. I'm actually a big fan of the new Somer sculpt, it's dynamic in a way that the old one was really lacking. None of that however, makes up for those miserable ankles. It doesn't make up for the model's just not fitting on the bases they came with. It doesn't make up for components that will break almost inevitably. It doesn't make up for having to refabricate parts out of greenstuff because the components packaged in the kit just were not working.

• Like 1

The model's are beautiful. They really are. There's a lot of character in the gremlin sculpts. I'm actually a big fan of the new Somer sculpt, it's dynamic in a way that the old one was really lacking. None of that however, makes up for those miserable ankles. It doesn't make up for the model's just not fitting on the bases they came with. It doesn't make up for components that will break almost inevitably. It doesn't make up for having to refabricate parts out of greenstuff because the components packaged in the kit just were not working.

:+fate times a million. Really well said.

• Like 1

The above discussion is something that's been on my mind for a WHILE. It's actually kinda funny since technically the company started out making cool looking alternate minis, not a skirmish game, but the point still stands that there's a super thin line between playable and displayable minis (about as thin as those antennae *rimshot*). I have the Malifaux Battlefoam bag, so transport isn't a problem for me, but I FULLY acknowledge that I'm completely outside the average data set.

• Like 1

In total agreement Darguth, there is a local Henchman that has pretty much had to resort to assembling crews for newer players.

That's really unfortunate to hear.  Not having that initial experience of assembling your first models is going to be a huge turn-off to the modelling aspect of the hobby to a lot of new players.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity has anybody managed to keep the antenna on their skeetes intact? I swear I blinked at one of them and they snapped off.

One was already broken off when the sprue came out of the box. Cut the other one, drilled holes and used thin GF9 barbed wire as a replacement. So I don't have to bother about transporting the fragile beasts. The wire can easily be bend back into shape.

How do you guys base your Skeeters? The flying base idea is great, but would require a massive resculpt of the legs and wings, which I'm not willing (or able) to do.

Okay so I just got my box and opened it.. That box is terrible with the pieces.. I haven't even yet started to think about assembling it and I'm already disheartened. How are those Skeeters suppose to survive any kind of transportation let alone gameplay?! :o

• Like 1

Okay so I just got my box and opened it.. That box is terrible with the pieces.. I haven't even yet started to think about assembling it and I'm already disheartened. How are those Skeeters suppose to survive any kind of transportation let alone gameplay?! :o

For Transport magnetize the bases and use a tin box. This should prevent them from moving around during transport and give more than adequate protection.

Game play wise, what are you doing during game that is a danger? Throwing models?

Seriously just don't be rough with them during game and they should last a while. It's up to you.

I'd say the main concern for gameplay, at least in the case of the Skeeters, is where on the model is safe and durable enough to actually pick it up, without grabbing it by a flight peg between the model and the base or resorting to mounting a tree or sign post or something specifically for the purpose of moving the model.

Yeah, I did the tree thing for my homemade skeeters to have something to grab. Going through the rest of this box I have to say I am definitely worried about gameplay for most of the figures, but will probably cheese out and do scenic elements I can handle  

10011157_10202721180824836_1005132835_n.

Game play wise, what are you doing during game that is a danger? Throwing models?

Seriously just don't be rough with them during game and they should last a while. It's up to you.

Those models don't need to be thrown to break :D Have you never accidentally dropped a model while moving it on the table? Topple a model while moving it? Ever get your model caught with another model when they are in base to base contact and the other model moves?