Might we get an update on TtB?

Forar

Justin has noted that he's not up to speed on the status of the shipments, and Nathan hasn't posted in nearly 5 weeks.  We're nearly at 2 months since the last update, and are down to just over 5 weeks until Gencon, with an estimate of a week to ship out the backer's boxes.  Presumably everyone (Wyrd and Backers alike) want this done before the nightmare that is Gencon's order period, along with the con-crud that seems to follow them home each year, and presumably with some space in between the estimated week to get all the boxes out and the weeks of work that Gencon generates.

So, might we get some information clarifying what is going on?  Are the books even on the ship?  Has the ship been held up in customs?  Has the warehouse situation complicated matters?  Did the shrink wrap machine explode in a fashion that left everyone unhurt because they hid behind armoured boxes of books (which are unfortunately now all ruined)?

It is hard to reconcile that the books were supposedly being completed back in January, to the point that PDFs were sent out 3 months ago, and yet another quarter later we still don't even have a tentative delivery time frame.  That distributors and the Wyrd Chronicles tentatively note this as an August product at retail, but we're a already into July without any better idea when it'll be going out than we did at the start of the year.

I'm also aware of there being other threads on this matter within this very subforum, as I've participated in several of them, but continuing conversations don't seem to be attracting any attention, and so it's time to try a new approach.

And I do recognize that with the warehouse move, the issues with the shrink wrap machine, the delays with Malifaux products going out, and surely untold other business projects, concerns and considerations, this is merely one aspect of their day to day operations.  However, with a dwindling time frame, the silence is speaking volumes, and it'd be nice to see some efforts to keep the backers in the loop.  And before anyone comes back with the usual "we don't want to send out 'nothing to report updates'", I dare say that at 2 months since the last update and theoretically mere weeks from delivery (again, assuming they hook us up before Gencon), surely there must be SOMETHING worth saying, and if there isn't, surely there must be something to say why it remains such a giant question mark.

• Like 4

Would be nice to hear something i agree, be nice to know where my books are currently, and if i will actually get them before the general release at gencon.

GenCon wont be the "general release" it will be an "early release" (limited to con attendees and possibly online sales). Hopefully they dont make the same mistake Privateer Press made when they released the IK RPG at GenCon though (it was kind of sad watching their booth shrink after Thursday).

Unfortunately I seem to recall the Evil Baby Orphanage Kickstarter setting a bit of a precedent for this. Though not everything was available during GenCon that year, Backers that attended were able to pick up the base game early (and in the process possess some cards that weren't included in the general release later), while those who couldn't attend had to wait a few months (and non-backers had to wait a bit longer still). I dont recall if there was a large backlash from that or not (it seems like forever ago) but in the end TtB only had 1546 backers that would be aggravated (and of course we have had the "playable" PDF's for quite a while now as well as already being promised "something extra" for the delay).

Jet pack unicorn did the same thing. I didn't get my game until oh 2 months after gencon, people who hadn't backed got it at the con. I can appreciate your frustration, been there done that. I had thought they didn't want to do that with ttb... Maybe I misread. Still, it'll get here when it gets here, hopefully before gen con.

Jet pack unicorn did the same thing. I didn't get my game until oh 2 months after gencon, people who hadn't backed got it at the con. I can appreciate your frustration, been there done that. I had thought they didn't want to do that with ttb... Maybe I misread. Still, it'll get here when it gets here, hopefully before gen con.

A minor difference here:

Jetpack Unicorn's campaign ended July 17th 2013 and had a delivery target of November 2013.

TtB ended 18 months ago in January 2013 with a target delivery of August 2013.  Not delivering by Gencon 2013 was an accepted risk/likelihood.

Not delivering by Gencon 2014 is a rather different matter altogether.

Also, Nathan has said repeatedly that TTB will not be sold to the public before the backers received their rewards.  Guess the question then becomes, does sale at Gen Con count as being sold to the public.  We do not have any solid proof that Wyrd is, indeed, thinking of selling TTB at Gen Con.  Maybe, all of their events will be run with the pdf....

If it does go on sale at Gen Con before we get our rewards, then I guess it will be time to contact Mack.  If I remember correctly, he said he would provide the torches and pitchforks for the riot...

Also, Nathan has said repeatedly that TTB will not be sold to the public before the backers received their rewards.  Guess the question then becomes, does sale at Gen Con count as being sold to the public.  We do not have any solid proof that Wyrd is, indeed, thinking of selling TTB at Gen Con.  Maybe, all of their events will be run with the pdf....

If it does go on sale at Gen Con before we get our rewards, then I guess it will be time to contact Mack.  If I remember correctly, he said he would provide the torches and pitchforks for the riot...

A "Public" or "General" release would be when it is available to everyone (non-backers), even if released during GenCon to attendees it wouldn't meet that criteria. Granted we dont know for sure they are planning on selling it during GenCon but historical precedence (EBO and Jet Pack Unicorn) gives a strong possibility that it will be there (though more than likely in low quantities). As mentioned before Wyrd has released KS product during GenCon prior to backers receiving their rewards (though it could be argued that some backers were able to pick theirs up at the Con).

I am not a fan of the GenCon release idea but it does make a lot of sense (and money) to have it available if you are going to be running events.

A minor difference here:

Jetpack Unicorn's campaign ended July 17th 2013 and had a delivery target of November 2013.

TtB ended 18 months ago in January 2013 with a target delivery of August 2013. Not delivering by Gencon 2013 was an accepted risk/likelihood.

Not delivering by Gencon 2014 is a rather different matter altogether.

I'm not saying otherwise, just that I can sympathize with your frustration.

Another key difference, is that it seemed to me that Jet Pack Unicorn was already a completed game, merely wanting backing to make up the printing costs up front, rather than after the fact. Through the Breach, on the other hand, wasn't even sketched out when the Kickstarter went live, and most of the work, aside from fluff, was stalled until well after M2E was released at Gencon.

The problem Wyrd will have if they sell the TtB ad the Gencon is that they will probably lose people to back their future projects (KS) as there are no advantage to being a backer and backers are treated as "They already gave us the money so now we'll just drag them along months and years", it might not be 100% correct but that's how its starting to feel like.

I might be mistaking but it also seems Wyrd made some bad production choices like having things made in China which seems to have lead to many problem and might be more costly for them in the end.

In short, I hope we get our rewards before Gencon, which seems less and less likely, but I'm hopeing we do.

Right now, I can pretty honestly say there is little to no chance I would ever back another wyrd Kickstarter. If they sold it at Gencon, but did not already have backers shipped, I would not only move it to 0%, but would probably start spreading word of mouth at how badly Wyrd had done, and how little they are3 worth your trust. Pissed off does not begin to describe it.

• Like 1

I'm a huge supporter of wyrd but if they sell at gencon before shipping out the kickstarter I will problely never back a kickstarter from them again. And I'm the guy who owns every single plastic model out. I don't mind it being late and I understand the fact there are delays, but selling at gencon should not happen before the backers product is shipped . Now I'm saying shipped not received just get it in the box and on its way before gencon and I'm fine with it lol

• Like 2

I'm a huge supporter of wyrd but if they sell at gencon before shipping out the kickstarter I will problely never back a kickstarter from them again. And I'm the guy who owns every single plastic model out. I don't mind it being late and I understand the fact there are delays, but selling at gencon should not happen before the backers product is shipped . Now I'm saying shipped not received just get it in the box and on its way before gencon and I'm fine with it lol

Yeah, I'm not going to blame Wyrd for Fed-ex(or whatever service they use). But when they ship, compared to selling copies at Gencon(I also am not going to blame them for giving out use copies for demos. I like to think I am reasonable) is something I can hold them accountable for. and I will. To be honest, it would probably hurt my interest in Malifaux as well. I certainly would not be purchasing enough product to get a nightmare crew, in that case.

• Like 2

I'll likely get their Nightmare Edition models, regardless, but any surplus money I would have given them is gonna net me the Limited Edition models from other great companies. I'd much rather pay new prices than find out about them afterwards with at least a $30 markup.

Besides, flat rate shipping is so cost prohibitive that it keeps me from buying more of their models, as is.

If we are lucky they will use a specific demo made booklet and not sell the book ad Gencon, the delays has started to be a bit weird or is it Wyrd :) and it seems people don't really care about that, I'm still waiting for things that was meant to be out in May which have been said to not be out before October or November or even charismas.

I'm just tired of the same excuses, its starting to sound like they are reading from the same order status report over and over just with new dates... I just get impatience when things go nowhere when it should be going forward. The fact that they pulled off people from the TtB project to finish the Malifaux so that it could be sold ad Gencon slowed things down immensely and gave the impression that TtB was not really in a hurry to be finished... sorry I really don't want to sound like a troll but I'm just running dry of a patience.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the GenCon release idea but it does make a lot of sense (and money) to have it available if you are going to be running events.

Just FYI the "official" GenCon TtB events are having to use the PDF copies as well.  While I understand everyone's frustration one should realize the funding Kickstarter is not the same thing as being a consumer.  It is being a shareholder of a project.  That does come with with a different set of priorities that Wyrd must do.  Do I think everyone should get everything that they were promised as reward?  Most definitely.  If you don't like being a shareholder then don't support kickstarter projects.  But, here is some food for thought...

Taken Directly from Kickstarter's Webpage,

• The Estimated Delivery Date listed on each reward is not a promise to fulfill by that date, but is merely an estimate of when the Project Creator hopes to fulfill by.
  • Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.

It's too bad to hear about the multi pose minis being shipped in the wrong scale.  Probably had something to do with the renderings they showed us back in August being in 38mm.  I even asked about that back then and was told that they would be manufactured in the correct scale.  I guess the factory didn't get that memo.

Regarding the second point, what of companies refusing to give refunds to shareholders who just want out? If the TtB KS comments section is to be believed, there are at least a handful of backers who just want their money back.

Which, at least from an outsider's perspective, seems win-win to Wyrd. They give back the money they've borrowed, which has either earned them interest in the traditional invested in a savings account method, or it has earned them interest in the form of profits made from using said funds to make product which sold at whatever level of markup. Meanwhile, it frees up the rewards for Wyrd to sell for additional units of profit, especially if done so during Gencon, where they already get to take home a much bigger slice of the pie.