Vapnartak 2015 Tournament, 1st Feb 2015, York, UK

Tigerstyle

Vap is my favourite show of the year, I've played in events there before but this was my first Malifaux event and it was brilliant. Thanks to my three opponents Dave Waye, Andy Barayou and Rob B (sorry if ive spelt those names wrong) excellent prize support on a scale I have never seen before and a top notch crowd of people.

Well done to Chris and the crew for organising a top event.

I will be back!

Brad

• Like 1

I had a great time! Thanks Chris and Josh for running it flawlessly, and to the community as a whole for being amazing, fun, friendly and awesome people.

Also, to my opponents: Spoons - always a pleasure lad!, Josh - it was great to get a game in with you finally, we need to do it again!, Ant - cracking game against the Master!

and my wallet got off lightly too - which is rare with all the shiny at the show.

I'll be back next year :)

• Like 1

The dust has settled now and I've had chance to have a good nights sleep, so here are the full results and breakdown.

First, let me thank our excellent sponsors:

Bendy Boards (bendyboards.co.uk)

Wyrd Games (wyrd-games.net)

Tiny Worlds (tinyworlds.co.uk)

Element Games (elementgames.co.uk)

Ainsty Castings (ainsty-castings.co.uk)

All of these guys were incredibly generous in giving me stuff to add to the prizes, from vouchers to scenery, to the tokens and fate decks.  I hope you'll agree that the prize table was excellent.  Please, go and buy stuff from them and tell them you heard about them at Vappafaux :)

I wouldn't have been able to have put on an event of this scale without alot of help with tables and scenery.  York Garrison, Nate Zettle, Martin Jones, Peter Sidaway, Bennett Morley, Shane McDowell, Bruno Santos, Rob West, Joel Henry, Matt Spooner, Chris Hay and Jimmy Balderstone all bought (or had on standby) tables, scenery and scatter terrain.  Especially big thanks to Nate Zettle who was a total hero and bought 4 tables and half a dozen terrain sets with him.

I had loads of help setting up from the Vapnartak event staff (especially Alex Harpin who had the unenviable task of being responsible for food), and also Martin Jones and Peter Sidaway for helping me get unloaded and getting the terrain set out.

Finally, Josh Fletcher was an immense help on the day in helping run the event.  Running the event without Josh helping me would have been a very challenging task.

We heard about a few upcoming events at the end of the show, so here's some links if you want to find out more:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104521-kings-of-the-north-april-17th-19th-2015-durham-england-3-tournaments-in-two-days/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104546-rumble-under-the-gaslight-3-sheffield-8th-feb-2015/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/105829-having-a-blast-tournament-dark-sphere-london-21215/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104892-lemonentry-stockport-15th-march-2015/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104552-mystery-of-the-tyrants-heart-august-1-2-2015/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/103408-heartfaux-2-9th-may-2015-york-uk/

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/103567-malifaux-doubles-gt-northcon-2015/

Without further ado, here's the results.  These have been checked 4 times so should be accurate and will go to malifauxrankings.com shortly.  Both leagues will be ranked as 28 player events.

DREAMER DIVISION

DD%20Results.jpg

LILITH LEAGUE

LL%20Results.jpg

Best Painted:

This was an incredibly high standard of painting this year, I was quite glad I didn't have to pick a winner from it.  There was easily half a dozen crews which on any other day could have won it.  It was very close in terms of votes between the top three, but the final results were both McMourning crews, one Guild, one Resurrectionists (apologies for the pictures I was in a rush to take them on my phone):

1st Place:  Martin Jones

image_2.jpg

2nd Place:  Bruno Santos

image_1.jpg

I usually get asked what masters got used by the top players so here's a breakdown of the top 5 from each half:

Dreamer Division:

Greg Piskosz:  Lilith, Lilith, Pandora

James Doxey:  Ramos, Kaeris, Marcus

Joel Henry:  Dreamer, Lilith, Pandora

Chris Hay: Collodi, Collodi, Collodi

Connor Rooney:  Dreamer, Dreamer, Dreamer

Lilith League:

Rob Smith:  Wong, Wong, Wong

Mark Elwood:  Dreamer, Dreamer, Dreamer

Graham Bursnell:  Lynch, Brewmaster, McCabe

Peter Sidaway:  McCabe, Lynch, McCabe

Paul Campbell:  Sonnia, Sonnia, Sonnia

The raffle managed to raise £210 in total which went to Help for Heroes (the event charity) and WAAC.

Finally, thanks to all the players for coming and making the event what it was and easy to run for me.  Please let me know if you have any constructive feedback on the format or the event so I can take it into account for Vappafaux 2016.

• Like 1

Thanks for running a great event Chris and Josh.  I had lots of fun; from my side there's no need to make any changes to the format.  For whatever it's worth I also like the little bit of extra data you posted about people's favoured masters (I think last year you posted schemes picked for each round which I thought was quite interesting).  Thanks also to Lee, Peter and Mark for three very entertaining games.  My customary thread is posted in tedious glorious detail here.

• Like 1

As you asked Paul, here's the full scheme and master breakdown. Some of these may not add up exactly as there was the odd gap in the recording on some of the score sheets.

SCHEMES
Round 1: Extraction with Standard Deployment
Protect Territory: 47
Take Prisoner: 21
Assassinate: 16
Spring the Trap: 14
A.LITS: 6

Round 2: Head Hunter with Corner Deployment
Breakthrough: 37
Murder Protege: 31
Plant Explosives: 29
Distract: 4
ALITS: 4

Round 3: Stake A Claim with Close Deployment
Protect Territory: 44
Plant Explosives: 39
Bodyguard: 19
Outflank: 5
ALITS: 1

MASTERS (54 players don't forget)
Round 1: extraction
Kirai: 5
Levi: 4
Hoffman: 4
Ramos 3
Dreamer 3
McCabe 3
Raspy 3
Nicodem 3
Seamus 2
McMourning 2
Pandora 2
Viks 2
Hamelin 2
Collodi 2
Lady Justice 2
Ophelia 1
Somer 1
Jack Daw 1
Wong 1
Lynch 1
Sonnia 1
Colette 1
Marcus 1
Perdita 1
Lilith 1
Mei Feng 1
Molly 1

Round 2: Headhunter
Kirai 3
Levi 3
Hoffman 3
Seamus 3
McMourning 3
Von Schill 3
Lilith 3
Raspy 3
Nicodem 3
Viks 2
Dreamer 2
Lynch 2
McCabe 2
Kaeris 2
Collodi 2
Lady J 2
Ophelia 1
Pandora 1
Ramos 1
Somer 1
Wong 1
Brewmaster 1
Sonnia 1
Colette 1
Lucius 1
Marcus 1
Perdita 1
Hamelin 1
Molly 1

Round 3: Stake A Claim
McCabe 5
Hoffman 4
Marcus 4
Levi 3
Seamus 3
Pandora 3
Tara 3
Raspy 3
Nicodem 3
Kirai 3
McMourning 2
Dreamer 2
Collodi 2
Lady J 2
Ophelia 1
Somer 1
Viks 1
Wong 1
Sonnia 1
Lilith 1
Hamelin 1
Yan Lo 1
Misaki 1
Molly 1
Von Schill 1

Pretty solid spread. The only masters unused were:
Zoraida
Ironsides
Ulix
Mah Tucket
Shenlong

Matter who were used in only a single game across the whole event:
Mei Feng
Brewmaster
Lucius
Misaki
Yan Lo

Jack Daw

• Like 1

:D

Love I was the only person using Mei Feng AND Yan Lo

It's cool isn't it?

I kinda like being the only Molly player, but that's at most tournaments ;)

Thanks for taking the time to do all the stats Chris and thanks for all the work you put into making the tournament awesome :)

Thanks to Josh too! #towelsout ;)

• Like 1