Vapnartak 2015 Tournament, 1st Feb 2015, York, UK

Tigerstyle

Just a thought Chris, but with 56 players, 3 rounds will leave a lot of guys on 3 wins....

...might it be a plan to break this into 2x28 player events (both scoring the max 100 points) and run them side by side as vappa A and vappa B?

this way you'll get clearer results for finishers, but it will mean more admin/tin cups.  How you break up the players is up to you, but you could spread people across events depending on ranking so there isn't one group of death, or just late fate decide with flips.

what do you think?

It's definitely something to think about, as it's only a 3 round event.  As you say Joel, splitting it means more prizes to get in terms of trophies (extra 4), the admin is probably not that much more really, it'd just be two spreadsheets instead of one big one.  It does present me more challenges around drop outs as there's a possibility one half will drop to less than the 28 required for full rankings points.

Let me give it more thought.

Just a thought Chris, but with 56 players, 3 rounds will leave a lot of guys on 3 wins....

...might it be a plan to break this into 2x28 player events (both scoring the max 100 points) and run them side by side as vappa A and vappa B?

this way you'll get clearer results for finishers, but it will mean more admin/tin cups.  How you break up the players is up to you, but you could spread people across events depending on ranking so there isn't one group of death, or just late fate decide with flips.

what do you think?

This sounds like a good shout- 56 is a superb turnout, but, as Joel said, the maths may get tricky after only 4 games. Perhaps splitting the top 10/20 into two groups and then randomising would be a good shout.

Have only heard good things about Vappa and can't wait to take part!

lol.

I think splitting it is the way to go.  I'd be temped to load balance it on the day so you can get both events as close as possible to 28. So if you wind up on 50 players have 2x25 not a 28 and a 22.

As a rankings whore I'd still actually rather play in an event that's worth 95 points than it be a 56 player crap shoot for 100 points. 

• 3 months later...

Well, with the GT out of the way, time to start thinking about Vappa...

Couple of things:

1- In order to produce a clearer result, as outlined above, this will basically be 2 x 28 player tournaments running simultaneously.  At the moment I'm calling these the "Lilith League" and the "The Dreamer Division".  There will be an updated rulespack to reflect this change (and possibly other changes) at some point in the next couple of weeks.

2- If you're not coming but would like to, there is already a small reserves list but I can add you on.

3- Lunch is provided, it's usually sandwiches, crisps, can, chocolate etc.  If you have any dietary requirements (James Doxey and Stuart Cain I already have yours as usual) then please let me know and I will raise it with the Vappa event team.

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're about 4 weeks out from the event now, so I'm pulling together prizes. We have our first sponsor on board in the shape of bendyboards.co.uk who will be doing a custom Informant marker for the event which every player will get, ideal for the Extraction strategy.

I'm hoping more sponsors will come on board in the coming weeks.

I'm going to need some assistance from Vappa attendees. Locally and with the help of the one and only Nate Zettle, I have access to 26 3'x3' boards and 21 sets of terrain.

That means I need some help: can anyone bring along up to 2 3'x3' boards on the day? Also (and this one is a bit easier) can people bring along terrain with them?

Thanks in advance!