Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

There was already one curveball in the shape of the hanging tree... Hope it doesnt happen again :P

Hey, I liked the Hanging tree/s!  :D 

Regardless though, all I'm hoping for are some of the new Masters (Shenlong etc). Whatever the Nightmare release is, I'll be buying it anyway. 

• Like 1

It's still 3 and a half weeks, so it's not particularly late yet for announcements I thought.

Especially given they've had several issues this year with supply, so they'll be holding off until the very last minute to check the stuff that is actually in their hands until saying it might be at GenCon (we all remember the Oiran last year...).

Especially since last year they announced a lot of stuff fairly early, then had to remove some of it from the list after receiving it and noticing some issues with the releases. They just want to avoid that this year, which is alrigjht by me.

Why do people still thinks it's a rumour. It has been stated several times that they will be there.

Yup.

Printed cards are fine. I've mine all in sleeves. It's the folks using their mobiles/tablets/phablets that's slowing down some games for people - especially in a tournament setting.

Bring on the arsenal decks!

D/.

I'm not a big fan of using printed cards even if they are official; probably stems from the part of me that won't use unpainted models and hates using proxies even in a friendly game...

• Like 1

Really hoping we see some of the new Master's boxes coming out.  We've had a lot of the existing metals redone in plastic but we're still not seeing a huge number of the new ones released and I'm antsy to stop using proxies all over the place.

The Guilty and Jack both look awesome!

Lady Legia and Montresor on the other hand look unbelievably generic IMO.  When Montessor was upgraded to the big base I expected something epic, not Lurch holding a noose.  Lady Legia looks like a NPC you could use as an objective, very little personality.

Not just generic, but, problematic. If the render for Lady Legia matches the picture, and the sculpt matches the render, then she's gonna have a serious case of T-Rex arms. :P

By that logic, Tara is a little girl with a rubber sword, Karina a little girl with a slingshot, Nothing Beast is a stuffed octopus and the void wretches are squirrels :P

Not that we wouldn't buy that, but, yeah, I don't see the regular versions, aside from maybe the Nothing Beast, being any different.

Yeah, I too regret not picking it up when I had the chance. My other half is a crazy Lovecraft fan, the Nothing Beast is so Lovecraftian, it was perfect - but I didn't click 'buy'. I feel like such a plonker now.

I am so excited to see what is coming for Gencon, I think its going to be a curveball of a Nightmare edition this year! No evidence to support my theory, just a gut feeling :-D

*rubs salt in the wound* Not just one chance, but two: They offered a Transluscent Smoke Gray Nightmare Edition Tara crew during their Black Friday through Cyber Monday sale. But, with that being said, a lot of people decided to sell their regular versions once they ordered the Smoke ones. So there's still hope to find one at a reasonable price, especially on the Trading Forums on here.

Original price for regular plastic was $80 plus insane shipping.

Original price for Smoke was $90 (+ shipping), with the box, or $85 (plus shipping), sans box, as the previous warehouse had a leaky roof that destroyed just those boxes before the models could be packaged.

So keep those prices and inflation / Out of Print in mind before jumping on or avoiding the opportunity to buy one.

Really hoping we see some of the new Master's boxes coming out.  We've had a lot of the existing metals redone in plastic but we're still not seeing a huge number of the new ones released and I'm antsy to stop using proxies all over the place.

Hear, hear!

There have been so very many stat cards without models since the new edition. Can we get past the re-releases in plastic and finally see more of the new stuff on store shelves?

Ooh, who's that guy? What's that thing?

Oh, him? He's supposed to be the Brewmaster, and that's supposed to be the Whiskey Golem, but I've had to proxy / build my own...

A bit off topic but I must say I have been more than a little puzzled by the decision to have the move to plastic begin with still available metal models rather than the wholly unavailable "new hotness" from M2e.

Beginning with the new stuff probably would have assisted in rebuilding the communities quicker as well as allowing LGS with existing stock a bit longer to sell without resorting to clearance prices (difficult not to do when the big online shops are selling for 30-40% off).

• Like 1

I think that probably had more to do with the Wave 1 rules being finished long before the Wave 2 rules were finished. 

But at some point Wyrd decided what which models would be Wave 1 and started making rules and eventually models of those. Of course this may have been influenced by what Masters were deemed the most important to the mythos, would sell the best because of recognition value, or something, but it was still a conscious decision.

But at some point Wyrd decided what which models would be Wave 1 and started making rules and eventually models of those. Of course this may have been influenced by what Masters were deemed the most important to the mythos, would sell the best because of recognition value, or something, but it was still a conscious decision.

The Wave 1 models are mostly just the masters from the first 1e book, plus the existing Gremlin masters, with the less "rulesy" of the existing 10T masters tossed in as well.   In a way, it was the oldest masters or those with the simplest rules first, which makes sense, given that people were playtesting the core rules at the time. 

When we hit wave 2, we got the book 2 masters and those with more complicated playstyles, such as Yan Lo and McCabe with their upgrade-focused mechanics, as well as the new masters.  

Obviously, this doesn't hold entirely true, as the Brewmaster was created to fill a Gremlin/Ten Thunder slot, and Tara and Leveticus swapped places so that Leveticus could get some more playtest time, but for the most part it's pretty easy to see why the Book 1 masters are who they were.

Which still doesn't explain why they chose to re-release existing metal crews -before- releasing the new stuff like the Brewmaster, which both new and old players would be on equal footing of not owning.

The Arsenal Packs are available to use any versions of the models with their new rules. But, to have stat cards for non-existent models means we have had to resort to proxies / conversions just to be able to play them. And then there's them releasing -only- a Nightmare and Translucent Smoke Nightmare Editions of Tara's crew, with an estimate of late 2014 / early 2015 release date for a regular version of the crew that anyone could buy in a store and start playing (some assembly required, obviously).

• Like 1

Which still doesn't explain why they chose to re-release existing metal crews -before- releasing the new stuff like the Brewmaster, which both new and old players would be on equal footing of not owning.

The Arsenal Packs are available to use any versions of the models with their new rules. But, to have stat cards for non-existent models means we have had to resort to proxies / conversions just to be able to play them. And then there's them releasing -only- a Nightmare and Translucent Smoke Nightmare Editions of Tara's crew, with an estimate of late 2014 / early 2015 release date for a regular version of the crew that anyone could buy in a store and start playing (some assembly required, obviously).

I'm sure I read that the lead time on converting art to sellable boxes is pretty long, and they needed to assign manufactor time well ahead of release. Its a lot easier to do new art for existing models than to do art for new models, since to an extent the existing models will always exist (even Hamilin and Misaki still exist), where as the new model could get killed or seriously changed in the playtest.

Wave 1 very cunningly included all the original malifaux crews, and gave each faction 4 possible masters. Thats probably a lucky co-incedence, but made a nice synergy.

(Some of it will have been planned, but the last minute switch of Leveticus wasn't)

And Nightmare models follow selection rules unto themselves (Some thing like "wouldn't it be cool if we did...") rather than following the more "organised" release schedule.