Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

On any dialog where you're choosing models, swipe from right -> left over the model you want to add and it will bring up a counter. Pick a number and they'll all be added at once.

This just about sums up why I love this app. A full range of gestures and presses are used to conserve real estate.

It's pretty much exactly what I've been wanting. All the sections are connected; it's very easy to go from creator, to encounter, to crews, and back. Things are generally pretty intuitive, though with this community they'll no doubt become even better. I look forward to testing this more over the weekend. If Wyrd gets on board with rules it'll no doubt be with me for every game.

Now for a report:

• I noticed, strangely enough, that when on the 'Encounter' page if I touch near either of the point totals at the top, a model's description pops up.
  • Another small gripe with the 'Encounter' page is that when using the app in portrait, the 'r' at the end of 'Encounter' is moved down to the next line. I don't know what the best way to fix this would be, but, as a suggestion, is there a way to make it so that instead of cutting the 'r' off it decreases the size of the text?

Here's a screenshot showcasing both of these issues:

• It doesn't seem to restrict leader options based on game size. I can have Lilith lead a 15ss crew.

Testing done on an HTC One running CM 11.2 (4.4.2)

Thanks for the awesome app! 

• Like 1

Minor update released. It should download automatically the next time you launch the app.

V1.6:
-Reworked Settings menu; should be more compatible with different versions of Android (let me know if it still shows up blank for those of you who were having issues)
-Improved Faction colors; tweaked colors to better differentiate factions at a glance (especially Gremins/Outcasts/Ten Thunders)
-Improved look of Multi-Add dialog
-Bug Fix: Model details no longer pop up when clicking in the area of the ‘Score Totals’ title on the Encounter page
V1.7:
-Ensure all resources are freed when the application is closed

No crashes since the v1.5 update, so it looks like all the initial bumpiness is sorted out!
Next thing I'll be working on is selecting Deployment/Strat/Schemes manually since its been the most requested thing. I appreciate all the feedback & suggestions, and even if you're just lurking you're still collecting valuable platform compatibility/stability data!

EDIT: Discovered that all resources were not being freed when exiting the application, so the distribution platform doesn't think that you've closed the app and won't trigger the auto-update. Please manually update one last time (to 1.7), sorry for the trouble. After this all updates will be automatic.

• Another small gripe with the 'Encounter' page is that when using the app in portrait, the 'r' at the end of 'Encounter' is moved down to the next line. I don't know what the best way to fix this would be, but, as a suggestion, is there a way to make it so that instead of cutting the 'r' off it decreases the size of the text?
  • It doesn't seem to restrict leader options based on game size. I can have Lilith lead a 15ss crew.

1) Android handles the width of these tabs automatically. I'm not sure how much control I can get over them, but I'll look into it. Does your phone have a hardware 'Options' button? On your platform the app automatically added the options software button (the '...' in the upper right) automatically. That's taking up some extra space, even though it looks like it has plenty of room to expand the tab... 

2) Good idea; I've added that to my to-do list

My issue is not selecting multiple choices of the same model, but wishing that I did not have to keep going back into the hire model menu and scroll down.

For example, if I were to want to hire both raphael and remi for my crew, I have to scroll down to where they are, select one, go back into the hire a model screen, scroll down to where they are again and select the next one.

I'm not sure how much work would go into making it so that I could just scroll through the models and selecting which ones I would like without going back and forth between screens, but it would speed up crew selection.

• Like 1

My issue is not selecting multiple choices of the same model, but wishing that I did not have to keep going back into the hire model menu and scroll down.

For example, if I were to want to hire both raphael and remi for my crew, I have to scroll down to where they are, select one, go back into the hire a model screen, scroll down to where they are again and select the next one.

I'm not sure how much work would go into making it so that I could just scroll through the models and selecting which ones I would like without going back and forth between screens, but it would speed up crew selection.

Agree with this similar problems on the collection as you need to scroll all the way down to select the model. Just having an index from a to z you could select would help loads 

Does your phone have a hardware 'Options' button? On your platform the app automatically added the options software button (the '...' in the upper right) automatically. That's taking up some extra space, even though it looks like it has plenty of room to expand the tab..

It does not have one dedicated, but my home button is set to display menus on long press.

Add link to collection Manager in menu up-right.

Confirmation popup when click in "new standard Encounter"

I'll add in the Collection Manager link in the Options menu; something I forgot to do when adding that page.

When you try to generate new Encounter stuff I have a confirmation menu pop up only if either player has scored any points, so you don't accidentally misclick and lose your stuff mid-game. Otherwise it will generate without confirmation. I usually click it multiple times when starting a new game; makes no sense, but hey.

I know it might be a bad idea for some of us collectors out there but what is the chance of having some total model screens that can break down from all models to per faction (or duel faction)

I had plans to do something similar to the Malifaux Model Tracker where you can view a summary which shows the number of models per faction, total ss costs, # of painted, unpainted, etc. That's a little ways down the road after the Collection features is fleshed out a bit more.

I agree 100%, especially for the Collection Manager. After adding a model I usually end up mistakenly clicking on the filter on the main Collection page thinking that it's the filter for adding more models. I plan on having the Add Model dialog stay open until you're done with all the adds, then you'd hit the Back button to commit them to your Collection. Also, I'd like to do a scroll bar that displays the first letter of the model at your current position, so when you do have to scroll you can find what you want quicker.

• Like 1

Add a feature to save result of your games. For statistic reasons ^^ see win loss ratio. So add your crew and the opponent crew to "game setup, battle it out with the encounter randomizer and when finished with the game add a key to save result.

And then able to see win rate with faction/master/kind of scheme game and same for vs factio/ master ect

Dont know anything about programing and if this would be even possible to do but just throwing about a suggestion i would appriciate ^^ i like numbers

• Like 4

Add a feature to save result of your games. For statistic reasons ^^ see win loss ratio. So add your crew and the opponent crew to "game setup, battle it out with the encounter randomizer and when finished with the game add a key to save result.

And then able to see win rate with faction/master/kind of scheme game and same for vs factio/ master ect

Dont know anything about programing and if this would be even possible to do but just throwing about a suggestion i would appriciate ^^ i like numbers

There's something simalar in the Iron Grudge app for Warmachine where you can go through your opponents, casters, points level, etc...

Something like that would be great!

I'll add in the Collection Manager link in the Options menu; something I forgot to do when adding that page.

When you try to generate new Encounter stuff I have a confirmation menu pop up only if either player has scored any points, so you don't accidentally misclick and lose your stuff mid-game. Otherwise it will generate without confirmation. I usually click it multiple times when starting a new game; makes no sense, but hey.

I had plans to do something similar to the Malifaux Model Tracker where you can view a summary which shows the number of models per faction, total ss costs, # of painted, unpainted, etc. That's a little ways down the road after the Collection features is fleshed out a bit more.

I agree 100%, especially for the Collection Manager. After adding a model I usually end up mistakenly clicking on the filter on the main Collection page thinking that it's the filter for adding more models. I plan on having the Add Model dialog stay open until you're done with all the adds, then you'd hit the Back button to commit them to your Collection. Also, I'd like to do a scroll bar that displays the first letter of the model at your current position, so when you do have to scroll you can find what you want quicker.

Thats awesome!  I was hoping it would not be overly complicated to add something like that.

I would also like to second the option of saving and tracking results!  But if I have to just do that all in excel myself, I will definitely understand.

Hi there, just downloaded the latest version on to my Acer A1-810 and I can now see the settings so that seems resolved. kust going to continue entering the rest of my collection now, is there a way to add multiple models ( ie 4 x Clockwork traps)?

and can I send any of these sections to my printer?

Cheers

PAul W.

Hi there, just downloaded the latest version on to my Acer A1-810 and I can now see the settings so that seems resolved. kust going to continue entering the rest of my collection now, is there a way to add multiple models ( ie 4 x Clockwork traps)?

and can I send any of these sections to my printer?

Cheers

PAul W.

Great! Glad I could resolve the Settings page issue. 

To add multiple models at once swipe from right to left over a model to bring up a counter.

I don't have anything in place that would interface with a printer. I have plans to be able to export Collections, game results, etc, but that's pretty far in the future.

• Like 1

I finally got a chance to play a game using the app yesterday. It was a blast and really helpful. Glad you tweaked the colors too.

I ran into one problem though, while playing the game I used the ability "Muahahaha" to summon Mindless Zombies, but they don't show up on the "Summon Models" list. I looked over the entire list a handful of times and even tried from scratch, to no avail.

I finally got a chance to play a game using the app yesterday. It was a blast and really helpful. Glad you tweaked the colors too.

I ran into one problem though, while playing the game I used the ability "Muahahaha" to summon Mindless Zombies, but they don't show up on the "Summon Models" list. I looked over the entire list a handful of times and even tried from scratch, to no avail.

Thanks for pointing that out. The Summon Model dialog shows the same options as the Hire Model, and since Mindless Zombies cannot be hired that's why they are missing. I need to go back through and make sure to add summon-only models to that list. As a workaround you can uncheck the 'Restrict' checkbox in the top right, then you have access to every model in the game.

Great! Glad I could resolve the Settings page issue. 

To add multiple models at once swipe from right to left over a model to bring up a counter.

I don't have anything in place that would interface with a printer. I have plans to be able to export Collections, game results, etc, but that's pretty far in the future.

Thanks for that, go tit now. Once again thisis a brilliant app keep up th good work - hopefully the folks at Wyrd will reckognise your tallent here

New update! A few new minor features, a bug fix, and some clean-up. Your app should update automatically the next time it runs.

v1.8:
-Bug: Resolved issues with Encounter long click events
-Collection: Easier to add models to your Collection. Dialog stays open. Each model you click is added to a queue, click 'Done' to add all models in queue to Collection; back button to cancel.
-Encounter: Manually generate Standard Encounter (manual Story Encounter coming soon)
-Crew Builder: If SS goal is <= 25; default to Henchman when selecting Leader
-Encounter: When summoning a model, make 'summon-only' models appear in list (Mindless Zombie, LCB, etc.)
-Encounter: Once two Schemes are Revealed/Scored disable revealing/scoring for other schemes
-Rename 'Encounter' tab to 'Score' to work around word-wrap issue
-Add Collection to all Options menus
-Automatically update Upgrades pane after removing an upgrade from a model
-Hide unused Rules Reference button on Home Page
-Prevent multiple main Activities from being opened
  • Like 1

It looks like the full rules for Wave 1 & Wave 2 cards will remain locked for the time being. I'll be able to open up the Beta rules when testing for that starts up again in September.

In the meantime, what do you guys think about how the essentially blank detail cards are handled now? The only additional data the popups contain are the base size. Would people prefer if a dialog did not pop up when clicked (assuming most clicks now are accidental since there's nothing interesting inside)? I could have it do nothing when clicked, or just show a small Toast that acknowledges the click but otherwise doesn't impact whatever you were previously doing. Or I could make another Setting to control this if people feel differently.

And for the multi-pane view, what would you want shown in the 2nd pane. Just get rid of it for the time being?

It looks like the full rules for Wave 1 & Wave 2 cards will remain locked for the time being. I'll be able to open up the Beta rules when testing for that starts up again in September.

I didn't expect this to happen anytime soon and I'm glad it hasn't been taken off the table. Is it possible such discussion may resume around the time the beta returns? I'm sure you probably don't know much, I just like to keep fresh the point that there are people who really want something like this to come to life and that Wyrd should never forget about it!

In the meantime, what do you guys think about how the essentially blank detail cards are handled now? The only additional data the popups contain are the base size. Would people prefer if a dialog did not pop up when clicked (assuming most clicks now are accidental since there's nothing interesting inside)? I could have it do nothing when clicked, or just show a small Toast that acknowledges the click but otherwise doesn't impact whatever you were previously doing. Or I could make another Setting to control this if people feel differently.

And for the multi-pane view, what would you want shown in the 2nd pane. Just get rid of it for the time being?

It's probably best that the popups be disabled for now. I see no point to having them open by accident when there is no use for them opening in the first place. 

I must have missed something, what is the multi-pane view?

• Like 1