Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

Another app! This is a personal project I've been working on-and-off with since December. It was my experimental foray into Android development intended for my personal use, but I figure others would appreciate its functionality as well and I'm pretty proud of it.

Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to step on CrouchingMoose's toes; his app is great and is a heck of lot more visually appealing than mine. We've even had a chat and we may be working together to create a super app in the future. There's even rumblings of some official Wyrd support...

This is Android-only for the time being; I didn't have the foresight of CrouchingMoose to start development on a platform that makes it easy to port to iOS and Windows, so a nearly complete rewrite will be required; sorry. It is on my to-do list, but it won't start until I'm happy with the Android release.

Below are links to the APK and a basic User Guide with pics to show off the features. To install the APK, follow the link on your Android device, click the download link, and then click on the downloaded APK to begin the install. App requires Android 4.0+ to work; is this an issue for anyone?

Download latest APK ( 2.4MB): https://community.testfairy.com/join/98bhmu4Y
User Guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8BdQhuLrZc_Mjg3QXEtSEpsdUE/edit?usp=sharing (out of date)

Hopefully this initial release isn't too messy. I only have a Samsung phone and a Samsung tablet at my disposal. Hopefully there aren't surprise issues on other platforms, but hey, that's what beta testing is for, right?  :P

Let me know what you like, hate, would like to see added in this thread. The distribution platform will automatically capture crash logs, so you don't need to try and explain them here (unless you want to). I'll do my best to resolve them and put out a new release ASAP.

Change Log:

v1.35 (2018-01-28):

• Added "What's New" update dialog.
  • Added January 2018 errata.
  • Added support for Gaining Grounds 2018 encounter generation.
  • Added support for sharing Crews and Encounters through QR codes. Select these options from the Crew Builder or Encounter pages menus. (Note: Only standard encounters are currently supported.)

Features (Current & Planned):

General:

• Backed by a full database of all Model & Upgrade rules, but they remain locked for now due to the copyright
  • Another cool feature is the the app in-lines the rules from Upgrades a model has taken into it's rules text. See the User Guide for example pics. So any extra Abilities, Actions, stat increases, Triggers, etc. are right there. No more forgetting!
  • Drag and drop sorting of your Crew

Crew Builder:

• All the required jazz here; Add models, Upgrades, Soulstones, and a Soulstone target total.

Encounter Companion:

• Automatic or manual Standard or automatic Story Encounter generation
  • Track Victory Points, reveal Schemes, keep track of hidden notes for each Scheme
  • Track Wounds, add Upgrades and hire models on the fly, view Avatar Manifestation requirements/events, manifest Avatar
  • Auto-effects on summon death (Ashes & Dust summons Core & Storm on death, Mounted McCabe replaced by Dismounted, Lord Chompy auto-takes 3 Wounds when summoned, etc)

Collection Manager:

• Currently only in a bare-bones half-implemented state
  • Track quantity of each model owned
  • Settings options that allows your hiring choices to be restricted to your Collection, so no need to scroll down through models you don't own

Some Possible Future Features:

• Condition tracking
  • Fleshing out the Collection Manager (track model's state: unassembled, assembled, in progress, complete; more filtering  options, ability to add Avatar models and special edition models)
  • Detailed multi-field Search
  • Much improved graphics
  • Turn counter; match timer
  • Rules quick reference
  • Multi language support

• Like 4

There's some good features here! 

Couple issues is I can't see a way to load a saved crew from the Crew Builder screen, I have to go to the Encounter screen and select Crew1 or 2 from a drop down.  The ability to save more than 2 crews would be nice, while being able to load any saved crew into the Crew 1 and Crew 2 slots of a particular encounter.

I can't seem to save a crew as Crew 2; the crew I saved to Crew 1 keeps coming up whether I select Crew 1 or Crew 2.

Encounter section is great, love the ability to tally up the score as you go.  it'd be nice to be able to toggle each scheme as "Selected" or "Hidden/Revealed" for each player.  

• Like 1

There's some good features here! 

Couple issues is I can't see a way to load a saved crew from the Crew Builder screen, I have to go to the Encounter screen and select Crew1 or 2 from a drop down.  The ability to save more than 2 crews would be nice, while being able to load any saved crew into the Crew 1 and Crew 2 slots of a particular encounter.

I can't seem to save a crew as Crew 2; the crew I saved to Crew 1 keeps coming up whether I select Crew 1 or Crew 2.

Encounter section is great, love the ability to tally up the score as you go.  it'd be nice to be able to toggle each scheme as "Selected" or "Hidden/Revealed" for each player.  

Saving & loading multiple Crew is on my to-do list. Shouldn't be too difficult now that I've got some experience with saving a Collection.

Regarding Crew1 overwriting Crew2, I'm not able to reproduce on my devices. There was a bug like that a while back that I fixed, but haven't seen that since. What sequence did you follow? 

If you long-click a Scheme's name it brings up a menu where you can Reveal it for P1 or P2 (Red for Revealed, Blue if Unrevealed and points are scored), or you can store hidden notes for each player as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

The only thing I would add is the ability to add multiple of the same model at once, it is a bit of a chore to do it when inputting your collection.

Swipe from right to left over a model to bring up a counter to add multiples at once. Works in Collection Manager, Build Crew, and hiring during an Encounter.  Not obvious that you can do this at all. Its mentioned in the User Guide, but those suck to read. Any suggestions how I could make this obvious?

Thank you very much for this fantastic app. 
You could implement multi language. 

This morning I install the app and if you find errors I communicate 
to you

Great point. Implementing multi-language support for the database will be a bear, but I should be able to do that for the main app fairly easily. What language would you like? I'll make sure to include it.

A lot of thanks.

I speak spanish ( And english with google translate)  :D

request: 

- choose strategies and schemes manually
- In colllection possibility of upload photos of miniatures

Error detected: 
If I click: encounter / totals score < the app  opens  a creature card 

why i can't see the full rules?

A lot of thanks.

I speak spanish ( And english with google translate)   :D

request: 

- choose strategies and schemes manually
- In colllection possibility of upload photos of miniatures

Error detected: 
If I click: encounter / totals score < the app  opens  a creature card 

why i can't see the full rules?

Manual Scheme/Strat selection: Will add that to my list; didn't think about that for Tourneys and such which have predetermined values

Upload images: I had model portraits at one point, but removed them when making it Copyright compliant. If they get permission to add them back in I'll have options to cycle between all the variant portraits, and possibly allow uploading of custom images.

Clicking 'Score Totals' bug: Good catch, I'll fix that weird one in the next release

Full rules are locked due to it being Wyrd's copyrighted data. If I unlocked them you wouldn't have to buy the Arsenal Decks :) I've asked Nathan to let me unlock the Wave 2/3 card stats for the time being since they are currently public knowledge.

Great app just one thing how do you remove a model from collection if you accidentally add it?

Looking forwards to further developments

PW.

Long click on the model to bring up a Menu where you can remove it. It removes all quantity of the selected model. The Collection manager is just bare bones currently and a lot more work is planned.

HTC Sensation running Android 4.0.3: The app crashes almost instantly after pressing any of the menu items on the front page - like within 2-3 seconds

When I'm setting the color gradient background of the ListViews (which happens on pretty much every screen), I'm apparently using an API that was introduced in Android 4.1, so its breaking for 4.0.x builds. I know the fix for this and will resolve in the next release.

I haven't downloaded your app, but wanted to tell you how I solved the database upgrade problem.

I have a database class which extends android.database.sqlite.SQLiteOpenHelper and does all of my database upgrade/creation stuff. My class has a field, which I increment by 1 whenever I make database changes:

private static final int Version = 31;

And a method that I override:

@Override
    public void onUpgrade(SQLiteDatabase db, int oldVersion, int newVersion) {
    }

The parameter oldVersion is "the number that the current installation has in the Version field" and newVersion is the number you just incremented to.

Inside this method you write code like...

if(oldVersion <= 19) {
        db.execSQL("DO YOUR UPGRADE HERE");
     }

When upgrading from any version that is less than or equal to 19, make these changes. You have to account for the fact that some people may skip a version - so you can't ever remove this code (someone could sit at version 5 for years), and you have to allow that someone could go from version 15 to version 20 in a single installation. Google Analytics will tell you the version numbers for installations. In one of my apps, I have a guy at version 5 (the app is at version 15 now) who I want to upgrade so I can clean up some code...:P 

SQLite is a called "lite" for a reason. For example, I learned the hard way that you can't drop columns from a table without dropping the entire table and re-creating. So one of my tables has an empty column...that bugs me...I'm sure it has other "features" like this that I haven't found yet.

Ask if you have any questions, I'd love to help! :)
  • Like 2

I've been playing with this app all day, having a great time! Very nicely done, I am looking forward to the planned features.

I am running on an Acer Iconia A1, only thing that does not appear to work is Settings I just get a blank page is this because it's not done yet or is it a problem with my machine?

Keep up the good work

I've been playing with this app all day, having a great time! Very nicely done, I am looking forward to the planned features.

I am running on an Acer Iconia A1, only thing that does not appear to work is Settings I just get a blank page is this because it's not done yet or is it a problem with my machine?

Keep up the good work

Thanks!

The Settings page shouldn't be blank; there are 4 checkbox Options currently. What version of Android are you running? I can check if there is an incompatibility with the APIs I'm using.

Tonight is my Malifaux gaming night, but I'll shoot for an updated version tomorrow night that addresses the errors encountered so far. Thanks for testing, guys!

Can you include alternates like Evil Baby Orphanage and Miss Pack?

I have plans on being able to add special edition models to your Collection (that will count as their official versions when list building). I'm aware of all the Malifaux special models. I could add in Puppet Wars models as well. (I was going to mention the Fall Schematic promos, but saw that it ended up getting cancelled...)

I'm not familiar with Evil Baby Orphanage, what promos were released for it?

Just uploaded v1.5. Testers should have received an email notification about the new version. Download link in post #1 has been updated.

No new features, just bug fixes:

-Resolved Android 4.0.x compatibility issue
-Some work to hopefully resolve other crashes
-Build Crew: When selecting a different faction, stop the 'Add Leader' dialog from popping up immediately
-Fixed 'The Mimic's Blessing' Upgrade hiring restrictions

Let me know if your Collection Info was affected at all. I changed from a hardcoded database path to one determined by an Android API. Should resolve crashes some folks were having due to not being able to access the database. I don't anticipate any effect on user's whose 1.4 app was working just fine.
  • Like 1

Hi, I've downloaded the latest version this morning and I'm still just gettting a white screen on the SETTINGS option, I am running this on an

Acer Iconia A1-810

Android version 4.2.2

Kernel Version 3.4.5

Otherwise veverything is great

Paul

Hi, I've downloaded the latest version this morning and I'm still just gettting a white screen on the SETTINGS option, I am running this on an

Acer Iconia A1-810

Android version 4.2.2

Kernel Version 3.4.5

Otherwise veverything is great

Paul

I didn't have time to investigate this last night. I'll try to track this error down soon.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

I'm loving this app so far.

I would like to see the ability to pick multiple models for my crew without being automatically moved back to the crew screen. It would speed up crew selection immensely.

Other than that I am digging this and hope that wyrd gets on board with the cards

• Like 1

I'm loving this app so far.

I would like to see the ability to pick multiple models for my crew without being automatically moved back to the crew screen. It would speed up crew selection immensely.

Other than that I am digging this and hope that wyrd gets on board with the cards

Awesome! Glad you're liking it.

I've already got a multi-model add feature in there. There's just no vidual indicator that it exists (looking for suggestions on how to make it obvious). On any dialog where you're choosing models, swipe from right -> left over the model you want to add and it will bring up a counter. Pick a number and they'll all be added at once.

• Like 1