Hoffman Help

pyro gremlin

Shameless plug:

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Hoffman

There's some starting out crew selection stuff in there. That aside, a couple wardens would be a solid choice, and if you can find a single of Rule, to keep theme. Past that, another watcher or hunter could be good. And past THAT, you may wish to venture into the wonderful world of the arcanist for the likes of a metal gamin, Howard Langston, Joss, or Large Steampunk Arachnids (or a cadre of other spidery things).

Beef up the robot lineup a bit. :P

Past THAAAT... I'm currently on a Sidir Archibald kick, though there's no single, and you'd have to buy the full relic hunters kit. I also think either Abuela or Francisco wit Santiago are two person powerhouses.

ENinja

Ps. But seriously. Pullmyfinger. Many many words about our machine-minded friend.

• Like 1

I didn't write an avatar section yet- as the rules are still in flux. Though he wasn't changing much as the beta intermission slowed... he basically was gaining a bit of his own armor, a bigger base, and a melee and shooting attack.

I think that the avatar is pretty neat, and a good third option between remote mines and on site assimilation for a third playstyle- try and get avatared and BECOME THE BEATSTICK.

It's an expensive model... I proxied mine because aesthetically I didn't love the cradling look of Hoffman and the robot... I would have loved it if he was standing strident atop his behemoth like a wish-fulfillment fantasy where he was everything he wanted to be. So I bought a big robot from some other game as a compromise.

ENinja

Metal Gamin!! OH LORD ADD A METAL GAMIN! You can Power Loop in his Ca 8 making most of Hoffman's spells go off on a 2 or 4. They are amazing!

Additional models that are utterly amazing with him are:

Guild Warden : They gain a  :ram against models that have already activated and with the Targeting Systems mod from Hoffman they can get another, this makes the Paralyze Trigger from the Restrain Claw automatic which is a killer, it also allows for a Triple Critical if you flip or cheat a  :ram in. 

Howard Langston : To take him you need to take the Arcanist Assets upgrade (You'll need this for the Metal Gamin as well) but with Tagretting Systems Howard can use his nimble to walk into an engagement, and use his remaining actions to flurry with the  :ram from Targeting Systems he has both suits required for his Decapitate Trigger which causes instant death unless the opponent discards 2 cards/ss. It's utterly horrific as these attacks will be at Ml 7! It's a great way to force an opponents hand or ss pool to diminish and if you can time it right then they will lose a model they probably don't want to lose! 

2nd Watcher : When scheme markers are a must take 2 Watchers. Upgrade one with Hydrolics and the other with Programmed Directive. This will allow one of them to gain Nimble so he can Interact, Walk then Interact or Double Walk then Interact. AMAZING! The other will have all it's interact actions cost lowered by -1. Again he can Interact, Walk then Interact or Walk twice then Interact for a (0) action. AMAZING!  :D

Rail Golem : I've used this dude a number of times and when he is Power Looped with a Guardian he becomes Df 6 and Ml 7. Add to this the Patchwork Plating upgrade and you have Armour +3! This makes for one nasty beat stick who is more than capable of wrecking anything that comes his way. Throw into this mix his ability to use Locomotion for extra attacks and movement he is incredibly scary. More scary than anything the Arcanists can do with him!

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Targeting systems only works on guild constructs I'm afraid.

QFT. We wouldn't want Howard able to flurry with built in decap. It was probably added for exactly that reason. 

Rail Golem: Also, if you bring the mobile toolkit, you can use "The Right Tool" to either give him armor 4 (2 +1 (patchwork plating) +1 (the right tool)), a  :+fate  to his damage, or another  :+fate to his attack (since he's already got one).  If you've got him looped in, I'd say ml7  :+fate  to attack and damage would be pretty baller.

ENinja

QFT. We wouldn't want Howard able to flurry with built in decap. It was probably added for exactly that reason. 

Might have had something to do with the feedback about that being a problem during the Beta.

I second the Second Watcher myself.  Cheap, easy activation most of the time, and can handle VP fairly well with the right schemes and Strategy.  Also not required to be mixed in with Hoffman's Power Loop generally.

Only probably is mechanical rider and Coryphee aren't M&SU Constructs... So you've got a howard langston and a mobile toolkit. :P

ENinja

Edit: Unless you're looking to do the big three list... that's probably more feasable:

Guild Crew - 50 - Scrap

C. Hoffman -- 6 Pool
 +Arcanist Assets [1]
 +Field Mechanic [2]

Howard Langston [12]
Peacekeeper [11]
Rail Golem [11]
Sidir Alchibal [9]
 +Promises [1]

Five activations. You give Rail Golem the Hydraulics, Peacekeeper the targetting systems, and hank the patchwork armor. Sidir gives literally everyone bonuses to attack and willpower, and you can loop everyone but sidir in and get pretty decent stats. I chose sidir over a metal gamin, a mobile toolkit, and a mechanical attendant, to try and stay in the great big punchy machine theme, but that's also viable. 

ENinja (again)

While I really do like Sidir, and think he has great potential in a Hoffman list, I would probably leave him be in a triple threat list.  You are already hurting pretty badly for activation, and its such a shame to leave the watcher at home.  Whenever I play Hoffman, while sure, the giant mechanical beaters like Ryle and the Peacekeeper are great at grabbing my opponents attention and providing a threat that they have to deal with, its the upgraded watchers who are out scoring scheme points, delivering messages, dropping scheme markers, doing whatever needs to be done. 

IIRC a big part of what made that Colette list so effective was its ability to score objectives.  I feel that it is the Watchers which really provide that role in a Hoffman list. Dropping Sidir opens up enough space to take a pair of Watchers, which really opens the list up in terms of scoring schemes, while the opponent is scrambling to keep 3 massive constructs from crashing down on his face.  

I can't but help stress the effectiveness of 2 watchers in a scheme marker depend game.

It is very situation and because they only have 4 wounds you need to keep them well away from most things.

If you start them close to Hoffman then you do "Shake down" on one so you have a scrap marker available for the "Hydraulics" upgrade. You can then burn a SS or not if you have the right card to cheat for the trigger, then give one the "Hydrolics" upgrade and the other "Programmed Directive".

Then for the rest of the crew I normally run the following in a nice scary looking bubble.

Hoffman

-Field Repairs

-Arcanist Assets(even if you don't use any arcanist constructs I like to take it. I normally have an upgrade on the peacekeeper so I can use "Frantic Repair" to drop a scrap marker and Heal Hoffman or the Peacekeeper. Then I can use "Improvised Repairs" to Heal everyone within 3" of the scrap marker. That leaves 2 more actions to either add upgrades, machine puppet, or loop in more constructs)

Ryle

Peacekeeper

Warden or Hunter (if you want things to keep away use a Warden, or if you want to speed things up to you use a Hunter)

Mechanical Attendant (Keeps your bubble free of blasts, he also saves you having to loop in a better Df for Hoffman as he is always looped in and give a Df5)

Hoffman is such a useful support master, the only problem I have with him is he has so much he can do so deciding how to spend his three AP is difficult in the first few turns.

Weeeelll... it's 52 stones as it stands, and has no upgrades for any of your enforcers or higher. I would suggest dropping either a hunter or a warden, and unless you're facing someone with blasts or gross conditions you'd want to remove, the Mechanical Attendant, for some stones to spend on upgrades.

Edit: Play with this, it'll help you with some of the math, and help keep which models can take which upgrades in mind.

http://wyrd-games.net/community/page/malifaux_2e_crew.html

Check out the wave two cards. The arsenal pack isn't out yet but you can download them here

http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/53-malifaux-wave-2-cards-low-rez/

That has all Hoffman's upgrades, and his rules. The 'must have' upgrade is 'Field Mechanic' as thart lets Hoffman give upgrades to your troops, and the pulse heal. OSA and remote mines are good, but more situational. Arcanist assets is needed if you want Arcanist constructs

I'm in love with double Watcher when the pool has lots of marker based strategies. That doesn't mean I'll be taking those particular strategies every time, but the group I play with knows how fast the 2 Watchers (1 with Programmed Directive other with Hydraulics) can dump scheme markers. So for me the upgrade I start with is Field Mechanic and I make sure to get the trigger on Update Hardware so I can get both modifications out on turn 1. I also almost always use his 0 Shakedown every turn to get scrap I can use on the board.