Mei Feng: Arcanists or Ten Thunders?

ierthling

...you have to time her Vent Steam correctly or you can end up penalizing your own models. ... But if she can jump in, beat some people up with 1 AP + free attacks, then jump back out of the way, with a free triggered vent steam to protect your other models, who then open fire, well, I could see getting some mileage out of that. :)

That puts some very interesting perspective in... Because it could even be as simple as an order of activation sequence. 

I play a lot of Hoffman, and I think a lot of his gimmicks are built around getting the most out of a thing before you let it drop- Power loop mainly, beginning when he activates and casts the spell, and ending when he activates again. Upon a closer reading, Mei's vent steam works the same way, so say turn one, everyone moves up into position, and mei makes a 4" bubble of negative twist to sh and ca. (Basically soft cover, but you can't ignore it with perdita or the like 'cause it's not actually called soft cover!)

At the start of round two, it's still there. The shooty/casty crew can then go to town from relative safety, either fielding a bunch of terrible shots, or half as many actual shots. At the end of the round mei rolls in with a charge or something, beats the tar out of a bunch of people and ends in melee. Top of turn three, you start with mei, beat the crap out of a bunch of things again and then scoot out to drop a vent steam, keeping a card with the right suit, or burning a stone to make it happen. You've maximized vent steam up time without diminishing Mei's impact on the game by more than, perhaps, one ap. If anything moves to engage, she's there to beat the tar out of it. 

I think my worry now is, who's running your schemes? Is it a crew that you just use for things like protect territory and murder protege or assassinate or Frame for muder?

ENinja

• Like 1

Yeah that's been a little problem - with both Metal Gamin and Rail Workers at Wk 4, I've been easily out-manouevered on marker-instensive schemes, and even ended up needing to use Mei to drop markers, which seems like a desperate measure. So in terms of 10T stuff to add in - could do Monks of Low River, Wastrels, Tengu, Komainu... other suggestions?

• 4 months later...

Hi Spiralingcardaver

I play both arcanist and ten thunders with her and I find it really goes with the feel you want.  she can bring enough constructs that her rail walk will work if you want to use it, but I normally only jump 1 or 2 models because otherwise she is out away from everyone. I can not wait till the temple dogs (komainu) are out that will help her a bit with causing fire and being constructs. Generally I feel that being a 10 thunder does not help as much as being the other faction for most of the 10 thunder masters or the faction is almost superfluxes to how you run them, both of these are major issues that I would hope gets addressed.  The few times I have seen a person go one way or the other is because of upgrades.

I would ask which other masters do you like the feel of in either faction?

both have there good if not odd combinations, such as:

Defensive death: have Mei Feng's Vent Steam and a Yamaziko's Braced Yari near by to guard you from shooting, castings and hurt the chargers.
Range death vs res: Kang and fire gamin or gunsmiths

I have 2 ten thunders and planning on getting a 3rd (Yan Lo or Misaki) and 5 arcanists (missing Ramos and not planning on getting him).

• Like 1

I just started playing her again this last week as part of my challenge to try and get 5 games played with all masters I own. (I was at 0/5 for Mei before this weekend... :/)

After the two games back to back- I continue to love Silent Ones in every list I play. Mei Feng is no exception- Either you team them up with a Metal Gamin (who can a) give burning to models, B) become a jump point, and c) can give the Silent One 6 DF on top of frozen statue), or just let them heal and shoot into engagement, as freeze doesn't have a gun. They don't bring much synergy in the way of burning tokens, or construct leaping, but they can bring extra ranged damage and heals.

I'm only playing Mei in Arcanists for now because I don't want to dive deeper into the 10th masters... lol

Eninja

D_Acolyte, on my personal preference, Lynch and Yan Lo are both high on my list of TT masters to learn well (Lynch's crew is getting a new paint job and I have some fun conversions for Yan Lo's in mind, so both are waiting in the playing cue for a bit), and I love summoning so Ramos is only a matter of time. I find I highly prefer dual faction masters for whatever reason, so I don't have any other particular favorites in Arcanists, though I'm eventually looking at Marcus just because of the beast multi-faction theme.

Good idea on Yamaziko- beyond what you mentioned, Vent steam helps with Yamaziko's largest weakness of being wrecked at range due to her poor DF. I'll need to play around with that.

On the gunsmith/fire theme, I've played with that a bit, and it's nowhere near as solid as the big Burning Masters' fire lists, but I think it's still a nice module that has some synergy with the rest of her crew.