Bengt's painting

Bengt

Mei Feng (or should that be Feng Mei?)

I really don't like big props on bases so I replaced the broken fence or whatever it is with a smaller scrap type thing. I was rereading Watchmen while painting her so she got the Silk Spectre mole. :P

Mei_Feng_zpsccc61eb7.jpg

• 5 months later...

Nice work all round.  The white on the collar of the Acolytes is particularly good; I always struggle to get a clean white colour.  You should paint up the Emberling as it's great in play.

Thanks. The collars are just Stonewall Gray base with Dead White painted (not drybrushed) on the raised areas.

Really cool Acolytes! Well done on those!

Does Kang have some sort of lizard skin going on and a moustache or am I losing it? :D

Yes, Kang has a stache (like all real men :P). Both Kang and Mei have tattoos, I glazed with the skin tone over them to make them look like they had had them for a while so they are kind of faint. They are kind of simple too, just painted with dots. Kang has a green east Asian dragon curling up the arm, Mei have them up both arms and in two colours. She's the boss so she gets better tattoos. :)

Individual photos of the Rasputina crew I submitted to the contest. 

What everyone commented on in the contest was the choice of colour so I'll write a little about that. Even though I occasionally do stuff like my RGB Ronin I generally prefer naturalistic colours, besides those Ronin have such silly clothing that they are a lost cause! The whole blue ice thing is completely an artistic convention, you only get blue ice in reality if you put colour in the water or shine a blue lamp through clear ice. Also the classic ice construct colour makes them look like candy to me. So blue was definitely out.

Now real ice is transparent if pure, grey/dull white if there are air bubbles and/or cracks, or white if there is snow or frost on the surface. If we assume the construct has a fairly strong magical cold in them they would be very likely to form a frost layer when they encountered warmer air, like whenever leaving their mountain home. :) So frost/white seemed like a good fit, also, painted transparency is beyond my skill. :P

Rasputina_zpsbe70858c.jpg

IceGolem_zps74e6ea69.jpg

IceGamin_1_zps9d8d2239.jpg

IceGamin_2_zps409b8e53.jpg

IceGamin_3_zps639f905a.jpg

I tried to use Dgraz technique for the Wendigo's fur, but I obviously need to train a lot. :P As I'm not very fond of props on bases having a prop that was larger the featured model was a big no. So Bob the victim had to be let go and is currently begging for food on the streets of Malifaux. But I digress, both left paws are part of the victim so I carved new ones out of plasticard as I find that easier than sculpting things out of modelling clay. I also shortened the leg a little as it's longer than the other for some reason. His pose wasn't very suitable for him standing on the ground without repositioning the legs so I decided to do him during a fastball special with some metal wire.
wendigo_zps613cc13a.jpg

Here are some close ups of his new paws.
WendigoPaws_zps67d07525.jpg
  • Like 3

Great looking models there, im especially drawn to raspy's face, it is really well shade (nice and subtely for such pale skin) and the over all tone of the model really suits the charachter :) Im also digging the white on the golum and gamin. Completely differnt and really clean!

Only negative critique is the bases on the raspy crew are very uniform and "samey" which is just my personal preferene so please dont be disheartened as your work is really nice :)

Emberling.

Emberling_zps0d19b62a.jpg

Did the standard fire scheme for most of him, it was kind of boring. I decided not to highlight the hardening lava (or whatever it's supposed to be :P) to give a little backlit feel. The idea with base was to tie it with the others but with a bit of burning. I painted the gravel closest to him black and cut the static grass short and painted it black as well, not really happy with it though. Don't know what to do about that though, so it will have to do for now.

Groupshot of The Rail Crew.

RailCrew_zps9855ea81.jpg

• Like 3

I've started shooting them with regular lightbulbs because I don't have any daylight bulbs and the daylight will be shit for a few more months in Sweden. The Frozen Hearts I then used auto white balance in Gimp which gives ok colour for the most part but every photo gets a little different. For the Emberling and Rail Crew group picture I instead tried the Levels tool which seems to be much more consistent. At least as long as you have a reference in all the photos (like my white paper background).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am really digging the color scheme on these! If I may ask or suggest something.. Rail Golem is such a huge center piece model though that he might need some more touch ups or highlights? As while the color scheme is topnotch, he seems very plain. The Black part especially. 

I am no superpainter and mean no disrespect, but I bet you can liven it up with your skill! :) 

Thanks Vidd and ZFiend.

Not sure how to liven him up as it were because I don't want him to look shiny. I've taken inspiration from cast iron stoves for the Foundry constructs, so the dark parts should be kind of dull. But maybe I'll think of something, in any case I welcome criticism and certainly wont take offence.

Dude! Your Foundry rocks on toast! A simply superb color scheme on the Metal Gamin and Rail Golem. Really lovely.

I do agree with ZFiend that the Golem could use some pizzazz to make it properly pop. Maybe simply do the bands around the smoke stacks in copper to break up the black on top in front?

But yeah, really great work all in all.

Dude! Your Foundry rocks on toast! A simply superb color scheme on the Metal Gamin and Rail Golem. Really lovely.

I do agree with ZFiend that the Golem could use some pizzazz to make it properly pop. Maybe simply do the bands around the smoke stacks in copper to break up the black on top in front?

But yeah, really great work all in all.

Thanks.

I played a little in Gimp with different chimney designs, thoughts?

RailGolem_chimney_zps83hlolao.jpg

• Like 1