Vaiuri Paints Malifaux

Vaiuri

As we've started up the Transcredible Exploits thread again, I thought I would breathe some life into this painting blog too!

I've cleared off my painting table, picked out some paint that hasn't turned to plastic in the 2 years I've been stagnant and made a start on some painting!

I'm terribly out of practice and my painting style doesn't photograph well without a decent set up, but I'll try get some pictures done this week.  I've made a start on Sensei Yu and want to play around with some Oni models when I get tired of all that flesh colour!  I'm unlikely to try my hand at any tattoos for a while, but would love some input from people who have painted tattoos on their models before!

See you soon! :D

• Like 1

large.20180114_143118.jpg.d6d2800eee1cd02253cae23ea7dd6563.jpglarge.20180114_143132.jpg.4c16305e46683dea7a556b67782ca969.jpglarge.20180114_143140.jpg.29660b0a4e64ef1c87c88032b96b5454.jpgMaking a start on my painting promise.

I really like the colour scheme for the Twilight Dragons from Warcraft, that was my original plan for this model. My quandary is, do I stick with black and white, or stick with my original plan of washing with purples blues and pinks?

Apologies for the slightly dodgy photos, but I hope they get the point across.

• Like 4

large.20180114_202440.jpg.3655ed2fed0e783920693c2b2ff23774.jpg

This is where I ended up this evening. After making a start on the base I decided I wasn't happy with the black and white, it just looked unfinished.  I've set down my base colours and plan to add some more highlights this week.  As he stands, he's almost table ready. Think I'll finish off the base details next and see how far I get before I play on Wednesday.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to finish the Tengu last night, first finished model to leave my table in a long time! He could use a spritz of varnish then I'll be happy to get him on the table.

large.20180131_071640.jpg.3897287f1530a1b3ec0bdabcd5025a9d.jpglarge.20180131_071649.jpg.fa3ef6a960823ffa5f4ffd50b6047310.jpg

I also made a start on a Yokai. I went for orange fur as I was a bit bored of blue. Not sure if I'm convinced I made the right decision. I'll get him finished then I might try another one in a white/grey. I had some ideas for black fur and glowy eyes but then I'll be stuck with what to do for Obsidian Oni!

large.20180131_071710.jpg.d3c3eb01b586ab4e00cbf5ec2f950fba.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks!  The bases are premade resin ones from Micro Art Studios, think they are called Arcane Ruins or something similar.  I tend to have a bit buy-in and put them all in a box then see what strikes me for how to base whatever I'm doing.  Most of my crews are themed, but I like to have the odd base that just goes with the model because it looks cool :) For example, Lynch and chums are on streets/cobbles, Lucius and the lawyers on marble floor tiles, but then I put the Guild Guard on cobbled streets (figured they wouldnt be allowed inside with Lucius and his 'friends').

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit tardy, but here is the 90% finished dragon :)  I even managed to resize the images this time!

Things I'm not 100% happy with:

• the colours of the belly - normally I'm much more fussy about blending through colours and made the decision not to do that this time in favour of having a more 'cartoony' look.  I'll definitely be going back to even out some of the stark highlights.
  • colour blending on the horns.  I rushed this last night and now regret it as I know I can do better.  Something else I'll be going back to!
  • definition on the hands and feet.  I wasnt sure how best to tackle these areas and I think it shows :(
  • the base.  I have some water effect to finish and a bit more detail to get on the flagstones, it feels a bit flat at the moment.

While that all seems overly negative, I did enjoy painting this guy and I think the ideas I had for him have translated well.

I'm half playing with the idea of doing a second one in bright colours, whites, yellows and orange as a direct opposite this this colour scheme - maybe I'll drag my Dawn Serpent out of his box to try that on.

Comments and critiques appreciated as always!

large.20180220_220318.jpg.0b13ce362844fd49a8ad0bb4d872bbc0.jpglarge.20180220_220306.jpg.0ab819e336ad4b136694a311118e597d.jpglarge.20180220_220257.jpg.c8da16fbeca8442a8efe956f1efd3fc1.jpg

• Like 7

A few things have impeeded my painting progress this week.

Firstly, I've been distracted by Arcanists. So I've been industriously sticking things together. My other half Swiglitz has also invested in some more Rezzers, which I cheerfully volunteered to put together for him.

Today, however, has been particularly trying.

I got to putting together my 3rd Oxfordian Mage to find his left arm was missing from the spruce. Fortunately, I have a few spares in my bits box so my Mage now has a Brilliance problem. I'd like some opinions on this, do I leave his arm as it is or chop down the tentacles and sculpt in some flames to restore him to his former state?

large.20180224_144306.jpg.7660161d7f0946e51314912d493f4d64.jpg

You may note the bandage on my finger... I foolishly slipped with my craft knife while cleaning mold lines off Snow Storm. I can only hope December takes my blood offering and aids my crusade against Swiglitz's ressers. :D

Finally I just want to vent some frustration about Bone Piles. Who on Earth designed that sprue? Pretty sure these guys are up there with Yan Lo's beard in terms of being the most annoying things I have ever put together.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vaiuri said:

A few things have impeeded my painting progress this week.

Firstly, I've been distracted by Arcanists. So I've been industriously sticking things together. My other half Swiglitz has also invested in some more Rezzers, which I cheerfully volunteered to put together for him.

Today, however, has been particularly trying.

I got to putting together my 3rd Oxfordian Mage to find his left arm was missing from the spruce. Fortunately, I have a few spares in my bits box so my Mage now has a Brilliance problem. I'd like some opinions on this, do I leave his arm as it is or chop down the tentacles and sculpt in some flames to restore him to his former state?

large.20180224_144306.jpg.7660161d7f0946e51314912d493f4d64.jpg

You may note the bandage on my finger... I foolishly slipped with my craft knife while cleaning mold lines off Snow Storm. I can only hope December takes my blood offering and aids my crusade against Swiglitz's ressers. :D

Finally I just want to vent some frustration about Bone Piles. Who on Earth designed that sprue? Pretty sure these guys are up there with Yan Lo's beard in terms of being the most annoying things I have ever put together.

Awesome, I'd say leave as is...

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers! :)
I've had the translucent set for a while now but not been sure how to approach Raspy and the totem. I decided to do a gradient type effect, to keep some of the translucent plastic visible. Still got some bits to finish, but really enjoyed painting this model!

What I have noticed is over time the glued parts have discoloured a bit. I think I used polycement, so I'm not really surprised. It has made me decide to stick with painting aspects of the gamin and golem, but there will be a lot more transparency visible on those guys.

27 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

👍Good tip regarding the glue on transparent parts - will bear that in mind when I eventually get around to tackling a translucent set that I have been sitting on for a while now

Initially it was fine, and superglue leaves a nasty residue, so I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps it was the brand I used or maybe it's just to be expected over time?

Little Rasputina update:

large.20180308_222852.jpg.ecb38cd8497b8dea92072393e7b65cea.jpg

I gave up on the lamp as I was building up a thick layer of paint- sometimes it's best to walk away, and vow to do a better job next time! :D

I'm actually pretty happy with how these guys look together. I'm looking forward to finishing the transparent crew, though I worry that I'll get distracted before I reach the end!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...