Vaiuri Paints Malifaux

Vaiuri

I wish I had more time to paint this weekend. I started on my Enslaved Nephilim for my Latigo Posse crew, but haven't gotten through just a few layers of skin tone yet. And this weekend is crowded with gigs, and looking to trade in my car, etc....

So I hope that by Monday we can have some more of your lovely work to inspire us all!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a lot of work has been done, but I'm afraid I can't share it yet. I plan to take some pics of a WIP Witchling Handler who is on my slab at the moment. She's a kitbash using Vanessa, a Ronin, and the hand from a Monk of Low River. I went for a blazing staff over a great sword, mainly because my brain melted when I contemplated making one, but I also managed to cobble together a cool looking staff using plasticard straws and dowels. Tonight I'm trying my hand as sculpting some flames, wish me luck!

A hyper-extended finger is keeping me away from the painting table this week, but I still want to crack on with Marcus et al!

@Nighthater, thanks for commenting! My painting style is undergoing a bit of a change at the moment, so any imput is really valuable. When you say 'monotone',would I be right in thinking that all my colours are in the same tonal band between light and dark? Or that the colours I use on a model are tonally very similar?

My go-to brushes are army painter regiment and character brushes. It was the character brush I used for Marcus' eyes.

Since painting him, I invested in a kolinsky sable brush which I bought from Element Games here in the UK. I went for one called the stubby detail brush http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/brushes/masterclass-kolinsky-brush-stubby-detail

I don't usually drop names or promote stores/brands, but I will say that this brush has helped me paint eyes like I've always wanted to! The point on this brush is phenomenal, helps old ladies across the road and it rescued my cat from up a tree. Sillyness aside, if you find that off the shelf brushes have taken you as far as you think they can then just try a brush like this, I found it really helpful!

I have historically struggled painting eyes and Marcus was no exception. I recently had a breakthrough, but can't share that just yet :-)

I start eyes now by first painting the face in the basic undertone for flesh. Then I colour the eye socket in dark brown or purple adding a bit of black, but not too much to destroy the colour.

After the edging colour I carefully paint the eye with an off-white. I find pure white makes eyes look a bit stare-y. At this stage, if I make a mistake I can easily correct it with that dark edging colour. Alternatively, a really diluted wash can sometimes be all you need to even out the eye whites.

The next part is the trickiest and the bit I nearly always get perfect for one eye and totally flub the other! I mean, of course, the irus/pupils. The trick to these is to try not to draw a line and to always keep in mind where your model is looking. Try not to paint a perfect circle in the middle of the eye, it can make your model look a bit shocked! Remember, in life, most of the iris is underneath the lid of the eye, with that in mind, try to paint the iris as a partly obscured circle.

Try to avoid the temptation to paint the iris using pure black, if possible, refer to your edging colour as a guide for this (unless you have a specific eye colour in mind! ).

If you are feeling brave, try adding a tiny touch of off-white to show where light is reflecting on the eye.

Once this is done you can paint the face around the eyes, taking care to leave that dark edge colour showing a sliver.

Easier said than done, of course!

One tip I cannot stress enough, is to keep your paint thin. If you make a mistake with watered down paint its easy to fix. Thick paint will cover all the details on a face and leave you nowhere to go if it goes wrong.

Your brush helped old ladies cross the street and rescued a cat from a tree??? I want one of those!!

;)

I LOVE the Witchling Handler!!! The sculpted flames on the staff are brilliantly done. I can't wait to see her painted!

Sadly, I haven't been able to paint much in the last month or so... sigh. But I have NOTHING planned for this weekend, so nothing shall stop me this time!!! MUAHAHAhahahahaha!!!

I hope your hand is feeling better!

Thanks so much! I'll be putting those tips to use very soon, just assembled the Outcast crew box. I generally stayed away from helmetless space marines because I had so much trouble with the eyes when I painted 40k, but Malifaux models are worthy of me learning how to actually paint the eyes. I use primarily Army Painter brushes so I'll give the character brush a try. Probably going to take some time to get it right but I'll definitely thin out the paints as to avoid obscuring the details as you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Sculpting flames is a pain. I've tended to do it in small sections, and usually resort to the old trick of tweezering the flames into shape...

Big flames are certainly harder to get looking right, but I wouldn't say from those photos that it's something you need to worry about - they look like flames to me!

I don't realy know what I was thinking when I started this project, I just knew I wanted to do something strange and different.  I've played around with kit bashes, slight resculpts and a rather failed attempt at a full-model sculpt.  I wanted an Arcanist stand-in for the Dawn Serpent, something Mei Feng could hang out with.

Building a dragon out of old watch parts seemed easy in my head...

I started off by making a couple of simple wire armatures using florists wire.  I bent them into serpentine shapes and threaded a few wooden beads on them to mark out where I planned the head, shoulders, body and hips to go.

I added some runs of thin wire to help anchor everything into place and break up the silhouette a bit.

What I DIDN'T do at this stage was see if my armature would fit on a 40mm base (its blu-tak'd to a 50mm here), and so I forged ahead in blissful ignorance...

I started with the head.  I figured that this would be the hardest part...

...I was wrong...