Vaiuri Paints Malifaux

Vaiuri

Hello Everyone!  Like my friend Shadowfane, I have just gotten my first few games of Malifaux under my belt.  I've opted for Guild, although I have already paintd some 10Thunders models as a random project.  I thought I would share them here in the hopes that it will motivate me to finish what I have started!

Please add comments and recommendations, I'm trying to get my head around painitng such beautifully detailed models, sometimes I think I take short-cuts just to get something looking finished!

My first Malifaux mini, an Oiran.  A bit dark, so I shall try get some better photos!

Shang (Misaki is on the way!).  I wanted to try my hand at 'realistic' flames.  On a model who is nothing but fire I was a bit daunted by it, but I'm quite happy with the way he turned out.  The flash is a bit bright (I have some work to do on my picture-taking it seems!), but it kinda helps him shine.

And finally, my current project, Lady Justice.  I got a bit excited with the tiny leaves, I really wanted to get a sense of movement to the model (the hair alone should do that, right?!) and have had this little box of maple leaves begging to be used, so I thought she was the perfect model to try them on! 

These seems to be a horrible dark bit on the side of her face which I'm going to look at this evening, I hadn't noticed it until I took the photos :(

As our adventures in Malifaux continue, I hope to be adding much more to this post - so keep checking back!

Thanks for looking,
V

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words folks :-) Got a Death Marshal and Miss Terious pretty much finished this evening, pics to be added tomorrow!

I've also started throwing some colour onto the Torch and Blade crew. I want red and dark blue to be my 'theme' colours for the guild and have given the witchlings dark blue robes - not totally sure of it just yet, so I might rebase black to make them a bit more creepy and sinister.

Maogrim: I used to go for hyper-realism with my painting but it doesn't photograph terribly well and always looks a bit dull (I think!). With Malifaux I wanted to try my hand at using a brighter palette, I'm glad you like it :-)

Shadow: I'm playing catch up! Seeing all your stuff has really inspired me!

Masterdisaster: I'm half way through painting Sonnias totem, Shang taught me a lot about blending through those warm colours, I really hope the Flame works out just as well. Glad you liked the Oiran, those robes took ages! :-D

Good good :)

Sadly, at my current speed, I'll have probably painted every plastic Neverborn model I own (therefore every plastic Neverborn model) by the end of the month.... which will leave me with not much to do, dammit.....

I may have to get on with my sideline in Arcanists....

The Judge WIP:

Aaaaaand a mostly finished Death Marshal and his lady friend :)

I had real problems with Miss T's face, it got to the point where I had so much paint on her that I just had to leave it before I made it any worse!  I've always had problems with faces...

• Like 1

And some half finished 10T stuff:

I'm going to be focussing on the Guild for now, but once I get around to painting the McCabe crew I will switch back to 10T :)

The 10T I want to be really bright and vibrant.  Other than the bases there will be nothing to tie these models together.  I imagine them not to have a uniform the way the Guild does, they are all individuals and bring their own personalities to the battlefield.  I may have to revisit this idea with the Rail Crew - or just work out how to paint bright AND dirty!

So I spent most of the evening playing around with the Purifying Flame and the swords on my Witchlings, but I DID get around to basing the Judge and starting some work on the Guild Rifelmen.  Its all starting to come together now :)

Its my first attempt at 'glowing' swords and for the most part I'm not very happy with the result.  Maybe I need a bit more orange/red?

• Like 1

Its actually a sheet of plastic I got ages ago in a hobby shop - it's supposed to be a pebbled path/courtyard.  I haven't been able to find any more of it since I bought it, so I may have to look at sculpting my own in future!

Personally I think the orange/red of the swords is alright, but you maybe should go darker with the edges - I'm assuming you're aiming for glowing/fiery sort of swords and whatnot - so the edges should go almost to a reddish-black?

And it shouldn't be too hard to be sculpting cobbles and whatnot - I mean, for God's sake, if *I* can do it.... :P

Hi Zfiend!  The name of the colours escapes me at present, I'll have to let you know when I get home!  I mostly use Citadel paints, I 'think' its based Kantor Blue and highlighted by adding Screaming Skull to the blue; will confirm this evening!

I'm a little worried it looks like the Riflemen are wearing denim trench-coats now though! :D  I didn't think about that when I started painting them.  SHould I change the colour or is it ok?

Nah, they don't look like denim trenchcoats. They look like proper longcoats in navy blue, I like them - the blue uniform coat thing really suits the riflemen (Not just saying that because I picked a vaguely similar blue for my Guild coats either :D ).

And if you haven't changed the stalker swords yet, I put a vote in for don't - they look just like hot iron and are probably the most interesting thing I've seen done with them!

If you particularly wanted to give them a little more glow, you could try glazing some very very faint red/orange/yellow (depending how bright you want it to be) onto the areas around them. Glowing stuff is usually defined in minis two ways; by brighter inner areas (you've done that really nicely), and a bit of light cast onto the surroundings. They don't need it though, so it's totally up to you how you go with it.

Thanks for dropping by Mako :-) 'll be honest, I'd seen a similar take on the Stalker blades somewhere on the internet and thought I would give it a go!

My next task is to get the main work on the models done, then look at 'glowing/osl' on them. Depends how brave I'm feeling. I do tend to rush my painting just so I can get models on the board! And everyone knows painted models do better... right?

I dunno about them doing better, mine die so fast it's hard to know who did what usually! lol

Ahh yes, best to leave OSL until the very last thing. It's something that can take a surprising amount of time too, since you work in such thin coats. But hey, you can always use them first then paint it on later if you feel like it!

I'd agree with the lighting - the Witchling swords look absolutely fantastic, but I think that the reason you might not be happy with them is that they're not casting any light on the robes. Lighten the areas near to the swords and add very thin layers of yellow until the amount of reflection looks right.

Brilliant work, though. I'm no good at positional lighting at all.

So it's been a disappointing week painting-wise, I'm still crippled with a bad neck, and it makes painitng very difficult!  So, to give myself something hobby-related to do I decided to try and make my own Light-box out of a cat-food box, some white card and some white tissue paper...

It didn't quite go according to plan, although it did keep me out of trouble for a few hours!  I'm probably going to look for a proper one over the weekend...