Shadowfane's Random models

Quick update - there'll be a little hiatus on this thread for a little while, on the basis that all I have to paint atm Neverborn-wise are the 3 depleted, and so I''ve basically run out of stuff to paint till the plastic Zoraida kit comes out (and then the wave 2 plastics, of course!)

Heh - yeah, probably, but for *once* I'm trying to reign in my crippling shiny syndrome and stick to one goddamned faction without flitting off in an ADHD-filled haze of other models and random paint schemes that never come to anything... plus, whilst I'm not buying models, I can work on picking up better storage options and save up for an airbrush and compresser! :P

Heh - yeah, probably, but for *once* I'm trying to reign in my crippling shiny syndrome and stick to one goddamned faction without flitting off in an ADHD-filled haze of other models and random paint schemes that never come to anything... plus, whilst I'm not buying models, I can work on picking up better storage options and save up for an airbrush and compresser! :P

Only if I knew how to do that, I did manage to compromise a bit, only took in Guild, Neverborn and Rezzers and that was supposed to be it. Then I started Blood bowl again, but my old teams were too ugly painted so new Chaos had to be made. Then Infinity because of a slow grow league starting here, might as well get in there and now I think I'm kinda getting into Eden as well :D

Soooo... this thread may be starting again soooner than I thought, mostly for two reasons...

1. Later this month I'm buying myself an airbrush/compresser (although the airbrush comes with the compresser, so it's probably not the one I'll use long-term, but it'll be fine to learn with, since it's a dual-action gravity feed one, which I think is what I'll be looking for anyway)

2. I totally broke my plastic-only vow to myself and ordered the widow weaver and tuco - henceforth my vow is "plastic-only crew boxes"...although that dreamer box is looking mighty tempting.....

Tuco and the WW haven't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to them getting here (I mean, come on, a Nephilim in a trenchcoat, cowboy hat and shotgun? what's not to like?) :P

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here...mostly because I ran out of things to paint!  However, I should at least start posting pics again, in more of a "as things get worked on phase"....

Whilst my Neverborn are very much a "paint it and get it on the table" project, with no real effort being made to improve myself, my Arcanists are more of a long-term project, and as soon are in various stages of not-finished (in fact, some of them are barely started!), so bear that in mind when you see my humble efforts to date... ;)

At the moment I have three crews on-going: Mei Feng, Ramos, and Rasputina, with Colette and Ironsides to be added when they are released.  One of things I'm trying here is to have different-but-similar bases amongst these three crews, to allow models to be used between them without them looking out of place.  The basic themes are:

Rasputina: Rocks and Snow drifts.

Ramos: Rocks and sand

Mei Feng: Rail tracks/debris, sand and snow drifts.

One of the reasons these are taking much longer is my determination to learn something/improve myself with these.  As you will see, I'm not quite at that stage yet... :P

IMAG0033.jpg

All I've done here so far is the base coat and wash layers on the skin and trousers (I'm a fan of the hi-visibility look on the rail crew :P ) - what I HAVE done here is made an effort to move away from my usual skin tones - since these are TT models, I've tried to aim for a more golden cast to the skin, and am going to aim to highlight it up to a more middle kingdoms sort of look.  Also, the Emberlings base is a project in itself - I've hollowed it out, and the aim is (when painted) to have snow drifts around the sides, and water effects in the middle as if he's melting the snow as he travels through it (I'm going to do the same with the Rail Golem, except a little more pronounced)

IMAG0037.jpg

Ramos's crew is even less done, with the base coats and wash layers applied to the skin on Ramos, Howard, and Joss - you probably can't notice on here, but Joss's skin is going to be black - another attempt to get away from my usual skin tones!  Also, I need to build Howards bases - since Ramos's crew is mostly rocks and whatnot< I think I'm going to have him skittering down some rocks into a bit of water in the bottom.

IMAG0035.jpg

Finally, Raspy... I've applied the first coat onto the constructs, and I did the skin on Raspy and the acolytes at the same time as Ramos (so base coat and ink).  The Wendigo is getting rebuilt without the cowboy, so he isn't in any state to be seen yet :P

If you've noticed there are only two acolytes in the picture, that's because the third is.....

IMAG0036.jpg

Here! Along with Mis Step, who is going to be my Howard for Colette, when I need her, and therefore needs a stage base (which the acolyte also has.  This is an immensely long term part of the project, mostly because Colette isn't out yet, so I have no timeframe on it!

Anyway, that's where I'm up to atm - no doubt I'll try and update as I get things done, plus adding more Neverborn to my other faction.

Comments and criticisms, as always, are welcome :)

Rail crew first, I think - Ramos I need to get a clearer idea of how I'm doing him and his constructs, and Raspy I need to think about the ice stuff a little, whereas I have a better idea of what I want with Mei and her dudes.

And yeah, PPE all round - plus I need to think about tattoos for Kang/Mei and how to do them.

The only issue I have for this crew, really, is how to paint the Emberling...

Not having seen Orange is the new Black, I wouldn't know.... :P

Anyway, spent a bit of time this afternoon on Kang - not 100% happy with him, mostly because I'm not sure I've really done anything different on him yet than I would have done with my NB, but hey ho :)

IMAG0039.jpg

Well, one week later, and here is the Rail Crew, having been painted except for adding snow drifts, which will probably get done next week - overall, I'm not displeased - although I can't say I massively improved during this crew, it's always nice to have a baseline and try and work out where to go from here :P

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg