M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

I played a small tournament (10 players) yesterday. While I had declared Arcanists for the event I picked Kaeris for all my games just because. :) I don't remember enough details to do proper battle reports so here are some highlights.

I won the first game (Standard, Guard the Stash, CJ, FFM, Accusation*, Leave your Mark*, Recover Evidence) vs Mei Feng (Arcanist). I had Blinding Flame on Kaeris, and the push on was quite useful for keeping enemies away from one of the Stash markers. I brought Eternal Flame and his most noticeable contribution was to wander up and be in the way (as there was a bit of a traffic jam going on) when the opponent was about to shift more models to Kaeris' stash (since Kaeris kept pushing them away). 

I also won the second (Flank, Interference , CJ, Dig their graves*, Undercover entourage*, Hunting party, Tail em) vs Somer. I left out the Eternal Flame and Kaeris herself didn't contribute all that much, she did Grab and Drop a Bayou gremlin into a newly dug grave though. There was also some Scheme markers from Wings of Fire but I ended up with a lot of extra scheme markers anyway as some of my guys hanging around to secure quarters walked around dropping some just in case. Practiced Production was more useful in getting them in position for Dig their graves. My Soulstone Miner was a real champ though, first he knocked one Bayou Gremlin into a grave while sucking out its soul (who knew Gremlins had souls?!) and them took Frank in the chest with some soulstone prevention and knocked him into a grave as well! Obviously my two Raptors were useful for Interference. :)

I lost the third game (Standard, Headhunter, CJ, Set Up, Search the Ruins*, Mark for Death*, A quick murder) vs Colette. My opponent's most expensive models were Coryphees and she told me that meant quick murder wouldn't work, I realise now that I should have checked that myself since it apparently doesn't matter how they die or are sacrificed for a quick murder. (Edit: I was looking in the wrong place, I have no excuse). Anyway, this was my first proper game of Headhunter (I had played it once in a teaching game only) so I didn't play that part very well, e.g. Blinding Flame to push models away from head markers would have been useful (I had taken Seize the Day instead). But I think I learned some things for next time. I brought Eternal Flame again, he did some healing, I guess I'll continue to bring him for some pools.

I came in third in the end and got a transparent red Bête Noire in a mystery box which is nice since I also play Resurrectionists and don't have her. I don't know yet if I'll try to only paint part of her to take advantage of the transparency or just do it normally. First place (and I think second, but I'm not entirely sure since I didn't play him) were also Arcanists.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nikodemus said:

As I heard it 2nd place was one of our locals and he played TT. Might be you saw him field Mei Feng once or twice and that's why pegged him as Arcanist.

Yes, 2nd place was from Finland. And I did see him with some Foundry models now that you mention it. :)

• 1 month later...

I haven't played much with Arcanists lately, though I managed to squeeze in two games this week, both full of scheme markery goodness, and remembered why I loved playing Kaeris.

Unfortunately I've not tried many of the new(er) models things with her as I've been focused exclusively on Ressurs until recently. I'm particularly interested in Carlos, Amina and our Emissary. Do any Kaeris regulars have some experience with these 3 they would like the share with me? 

I tend to pick Kaeris (Grab and Drop) when there's 2-3 scheme marker schemes available and/or when there's plenty of Severe/Hazardous terrain to fly over or throw people into. I've never seen a reason to take Purifying Flame. With all the pushes and obeys in my meta I just imagine my models being put somewhere outside her 6" and burning to death... But perhaps someone can shed some light on when it could be useful?

Emissary's become a must-have for me, Instinctual is just so good on her.  I've tried Carlos a couple times and he's good, but I think I'm a bit too aggressive with him and get him killed a bit too often, lol.  Haven't tried Amina at all as I prefer not to proxy, but she seems amazing with everyone, really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hydranixx said:

I haven't played much with Arcanists lately, though I managed to squeeze in two games this week, both full of scheme markery goodness, and remembered why I loved playing Kaeris.

Unfortunately I've not tried many of the new(er) models things with her as I've been focused exclusively on Ressurs until recently. I'm particularly interested in Carlos, Amina and our Emissary. Do any Kaeris regulars have some experience with these 3 they would like the share with me? 

I tend to pick Kaeris (Grab and Drop) when there's 2-3 scheme marker schemes available and/or when there's plenty of Severe/Hazardous terrain to fly over or throw people into. I've never seen a reason to take Purifying Flame. With all the pushes and obeys in my meta I just imagine my models being put somewhere outside her 6" and burning to death... But perhaps someone can shed some light on when it could be useful?

I always used to take Grab and drop automatically, but Carlos makes Purifying flame a much more tempting upgrade both because it heals him and there are more pyre markers around. Yes, his upgrade will also heal, but there are times when you don't want to have to discard a card to heal. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Did anyone try to proxy Kandara with her when the beta test was going on?  I really like the model, and was wondering if she was any good with Kaeris.

I didn't playtest her but I don't see anything that makes it look like Kandara would be particularly good with Kaeris outside of being able to apply a little bit of extra burning but there's a lot of Arcanist models that can do that.

I guess if Kaeris took Born of Fire then Kandara might be able to toss an upgrade on the summoned Fire Gamin and move him around a bit but you could possibly go an entire game without the summon triggering. Without Sandeep's summons that come with upgrades to cycle, once Kandara passes off one of her upgrades to a Gamin there's no way for her to get it back.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:07 AM, Adran said:

I always used to take Grab and drop automatically, but Carlos makes Purifying flame a much more tempting upgrade both because it heals him and there are more pyre markers around. Yes, his upgrade will also heal, but there are times when you don't want to have to discard a card to heal. 

Grab and Drop with Carlos around is something you need to keep an on as well or you could accidentally end up dousing Carlos.

Also because he is almost always going to starts the turn with burning, he will always drop a scheme marker if he activates within 6 inches of Kaeris which may cause problems for schemes like Claim Jump.  

23 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I didn't playtest her but I don't see anything that makes it look like Kandara would be particularly good with Kaeris outside of being able to apply a little bit of extra burning but there's a lot of Arcanist models that can do that.

I guess if Kaeris took Born of Fire then Kandara might be able to toss an upgrade on the summoned Fire Gamin and move him around a bit but you could possibly go an entire game without the summon triggering. Without Sandeep's summons that come with upgrades to cycle, once Kandara passes off one of her upgrades to a Gamin there's no way for her to get it back.

Drat.  I hope they tweaked her from the beta, because it'd be a shame if a model that nice was only optimized for a single master.

23 hours ago, WWHSD said:

You've got it backwards, last we saw she takes upgrades *from* Gamin.  So in a Kaeris crew her only 0 will be to swap between her Limiteds.

Last we saw she had some decent Burning output, and while I didn't get to test her with Kaeris I've got a feeling we can find the 7ss to hire her into some crews.

1 hour ago, retnab said:

You've got it backwards, last we saw she takes upgrades *from* Gamin.  So in a Kaeris crew her only 0 will be to swap between her Limiteds.

Last we saw she had some decent Burning output, and while I didn't get to test her with Kaeris I've got a feeling we can find the 7ss to hire her into some crews.

You're right. I thought that she swapped upgrades with a Gamin but she discards an upgrade to take an upgrade from a Gamin or discards and upgrade to attach one pf her limited upgrades.

The last I saw she applied burning +1 when she took damage from an attack and one of her upgrades gave burning +1 to any target she damaged during her activation.

I ended up losing a game at a tournament yesterday with Kaeris v Kirai, and while the game itself didn't go too well one moment in particular seemed worth sharing.

One of the schemes that I chose was Dig Their Graves, so I was doing G&D Kaeris and had schemes all over.  Kaeris managed to engage Kirai and, by constantly setting her on Burning over and over got her down to 4 wounds and no ss left without dropping Ikiryo on her head.  Kaeris then used G&D on Kirai and my opponent BJ'd the defense flip (ouch), which meant that Kaeris suplexed Kirai directly into her grave for a max damage attack.  Good fun! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Derpology said:

Has anyone been using the new upgrades with Kaeris? I've been mulling over some scenarios in my head and seems like there's some fun to be had. 

I got in a game vs Lady J last week, but I think it's a bit moot due to about 30 pts of my crew getting boxed each turn. :P Swoop feels really good for a turn 1 free 3 cards with Truth in Flame, and guaranteeing you can give an enemy model Burning really helps Immolate out since you don't need to Flaming Halo or rely on Flare for its :+fate's anymore.  Didn't get to use the trigger but I think it'll be most important in Purifying Fire crews as it basically means she's simultaneously doing delayed damage to the enemy and pulsing out a delayed heal to nearby friendlies.  Heat Wave did put a bunch of Burning on Lady J and Francisco with the Aura which was nice, and Kaeris got Heatstroke +2 on Lady J, but with Francisco there she was still Wp 7 so I don't feel like I got a real test of its power there (and probably should have scalpeled Francisco out first anyway).

4 hours ago, retnab said:

I got in a game vs Lady J last week, but I think it's a bit moot due to about 30 pts of my crew getting boxed each turn. :P Swoop feels really good for a turn 1 free 3 cards with Truth in Flame, and guaranteeing you can give an enemy model Burning really helps Immolate out since you don't need to Flaming Halo or rely on Flare for its :+fate's anymore.  Didn't get to use the trigger but I think it'll be most important in Purifying Fire crews as it basically means she's simultaneously doing delayed damage to the enemy and pulsing out a delayed heal to nearby friendlies.  Heat Wave did put a bunch of Burning on Lady J and Francisco with the Aura which was nice, and Kaeris got Heatstroke +2 on Lady J, but with Francisco there she was still Wp 7 so I don't feel like I got a real test of its power there (and probably should have scalpeled Francisco out first anyway).

Alwas scalpel/cerberus Francisco out of the way first!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, retnab said:

Very cool, I'm looking forward taking Carlos and a few Union Miners to burn stuff up, maybe Firestarter as well. 

11 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

@bertmac as our resident Kaeris fanatic you must be overjoyed with the new upgrades and Kandara.

Haven't looked too far into them at the moment. Was playtesting some stuff a couple of months ago that went really well but as I haven't seen the new book I'm not sure if they will be done as a separate release so can't comment right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@spikes a head's up from a Mei Feng/Foundry player:

Did not know that Mei had +damage to Burning models, though Carlos could comfortably tank it once his Armor was up.

There's a Foundry upgrade called Hard worker that lets Foundry models pitch a card as a (0) to ignore Armor and Hard to Wound with all of their attacks. Mei Feng has no competing (0) actions. You didn't run into it here, but it's something to be aware of when you're thinking about dropping Carlos into suspected Foundry crew.