M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

I've only played her a couple times, and I tried different things each time I played her.

The first time, I built her as a close-range tank for Reckoning, and I brought her old starter box minus a gamin, the Firestarter, Eternal Flame, and the Arcane Effigy.  She successfully tanked the Hoff-ball for two rounds (although it was my opponent's first game with him in M2E) while the rest of her crew scored kills, with the Gunsmiths and Gamin doing the heavy lifting.

The second game, I tried to do a summoning thing with Born of Fire and the Mechanical Rider for Turf War.  I packed a Rail Golem, Metal Gamin, and a Soulstone Miner.  But Jacob Lynch was having none of it, dealing massive damage to an unsupported Rail Golem on turn 2, although it was more specifically Ototo who objected strenuously and destroyed just about everything.  Kaeris survived to round 4 and grabbed and dropped Ototo to death, but some bad Fire Gamin positioning killed her via burning (ah, delicious irony) after a Beckoner blew the little guy up.

Overall, I'm really liking Kaeris.  I can tell that she's really flexible as far as her roles are concerned while not as tied to the burning condition as she may appear at first.  I'll probably take some time to play her now that I've recovered from the Adepticon Gauntlet.

Enjoying playing her although she is my first master and the only other master I've played so far is mei feng.

Find her quite tough, doesn't really need soulstones for casting so her cache mostly gets used for damage prevention. Flew her into the middle of my mates gremlin crew and kept them there for a couple of turns while the rest of the crew completed strats and schemes.

Speed is great with 6 walk and flight.

I really like arcane reservoir and purifying fire is good for stopping crew members getting shot and is also good with the captain as I've pushed an enemy off a height 4 ledge into the hazardous terrain.

Yeah the pushing models about is a lot of fun. How are people finding The Firestarter? He looks a bit meh for his cost for me, but I've yet to try him on the table.

At the moment I'm finding Grab and Drop more useful the Purifying Fire, although both have their place.  My typical upgrade selection is; Arcane Reservoir, Grab and Drop, and Blinding Flame.

Haven't tried firestarter yet.

Went with arcane reservoir purifying fire and imbued protection last night against my mates Seamus crew.

Didn't really use purifying fire although kaeris didn't really get attacked too much my opponent didn't have any shooting besides Seamus and copycat killer. Purifying fire in theory could be used if you have a couple of low rams in hand flare to give gunsmiths fast then move along with them to heal rather than damage with burning.

Had my first real success with rail golem last night Seamus left himself within charge range so I fasted up with imbued energies charged him hit 5 times he managed to stop the red joker flip with his hat but the last two locomotion hits finished him off, I'd planned to ignore him and kill everything else but the opportunity presented itself and I took it. :-)

Thanks for the article - it's given me some good insight about how I should use Kaeris when I pull her out in the next few weeks. :)

One question: Purifying Flame + Rail Golem. My reading of this is that it allows the Rail Golem to heal its burning condition, but not remove it at the end of turn?

EDIT: Better yet, you could then use Shovel Faster from a Rail Worker to heal it's burning condition! The same would work with the Eternal Flame.

Purifying Flame: Friendly models within a6 do not suffer damage from the Burning Condition. Instead, they heal that amount of damage.

Rail Golem: At the end of the turn, this model doesn't end it's burning condition and it does not suffer damage from the Burning Condition

The wording's nearly identical for both Purifying Flame and the Rail Golem's ability, and the second part on both abilities don't contradict each other. So from what I can tell the Rail Golem should be able to both heal and not end it's burning condition. at the end of the turn. 

Yeah, Purifying Flame is a little awkwardly worded in the context of abilities which affect damage from Burning.

I think the basic logic of the ability is "How much damage would you normally have suffered from Burning? Okay, heal that amount."

For abilities that prevent or modify the amount of Burning damage, the most consistent solution is to apply them first. In the Rail Golem's case, it suffers no damage, so Purifying Flame heals no damage.

The other reason to go this route is for balance - let's face it, a Rail Golem that could heal itself to full every turn for a small initial investment of Burning application would be a problem. :P

• Like 1

The full FAQ entry is;

Q: Kaeris’s Purifying Fire Ability reads: “Friendly models within :aura 6 do not suffer damage from the Burning Condition. Instead, they heal that amount of damage.” Can a friendly model that is suffering 0 damage from the Burning Condition still heal due to this Ability?

A: No.

So sadly you can't use it to heal models that can't take burning. It also means your armour reduces the heal.  :(

It's another reason why Grab and Drop probably comes out a little ahead in the limited upgrade choice.

Indeed. Although interestingly, the Rail Golem's burning immunity only occurs at the end of turn. So it looks like the Rail Worker can still use Shovel Faster on the Rail Golem in range of Purifying Flame to heal it by it's Burning (minus armour).

Grab and Drop still looks pretty good though - free scheme markers plus a great attack with some mobility attached is hard to pass up. 

• Like 1

My bad, but the Eternal Flame can still follow around and heal the Rail Golem.

Personally, I have been running her more minion based:

50ss

Kaeris w/purifying flame, born of fire, arcane reservoir

The Eternal Flame

The Firestarter

Johan w/bleeding edge tech

2x Gunsmiths

3x Metal Gamin

6ss pool

Needless to say, depends on a lot of variables, such as schemes & strategies, Opponents faction and terrain, but my go to models are a couple of Union Miners, Willie, Sue, & the Rail Golem.

look at my hand see what they can do by throwing away a card wether thats finishing off a ss user or something with lots of armour and or htk otherwise they look scary to my opponents so they get targetted a lot and no doubt gain fast and generally survive to use it

I guess I find their lack of access to a  :+fate damage flip or 3+ damage to be a significant weakness for what is supposed to be damage dealing model.  The only way I've seen to get strong damage output from them is to switch chamber for a  :mask and focus for the severe six hit.

I like two gunsmiths and find them to be a versatile model that can fulfill a variety of tasks for me, but I do find them more crew dependent & secondary or even tertiary Ways of getting burning out to make them really shine.

Fast can make them excellent objective grabbers, and protection of metal, hard to kill and all the healing in the list makes them surprisingly tanky. Switched chamber makes them a scalpel & the hard way makes them ridiculous against burning targets.If you want a more independent model then take the December's acolyte, but if you want a team player take a gunsmith or two!

I haven't had that much of an issue. With a metal gamin they are def 6, with htk, and the amount of healing that a Kaeris crew can put out is usually enough to keep them up.

I also tend to focus fire, to take out key models, and really try to abuse the burning mechanic.

I have a question for the Kaeris players, just to keep the conversation going. What Kaeris crew do you pick to play the following game, and why?

50ss game vs Outcasts

Corner Deployment,

Strategy; Stake a Claim,

Schemes; ALITS, Bodyguard, Cursed Object, Distract, Vendetta.

I played the above in a recent league match and I'd like to compare approaches. :)

I have a question for the Kaeris players, just to keep the conversation going. What Kaeris crew do you pick to play the following game, and why?

50ss game vs Outcasts

Corner Deployment,

Strategy; Stake a Claim,

Schemes; ALITS, Bodyguard, Cursed Object, Distract, Vendetta.

I played the above in a recent league match and I'd like to compare approaches. :)

What master are you expecting to play against?  Outcasts are notoriously difficult to build against.

Otherwise, I'd try:

Arcanists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Kaeris -- 7 Pool
+Arcane Reservoir [2]
+Grab and Drop [1]
+Powered by Flame [2]

Eternal Flame [2]
Arcane Effigy [4]
Fire Gamin [4]
Fire Gamin [4]
Gunsmith [7]
Mechanical Rider [12]