I like useful vermin, but I think there are better upgrades since Hamelin often has no perticular problems of getting markers down. In terms of opportunity cost there is more to gain from other upgrades. 

Speaking of opportunity cost, the plague pits makes the emissary's usp quite meager. As you can dish out blight from distance far more efficent with the plague pits. Its a great upgrade, and its biggest benefit is that it makes an in theme blight build very potent. 

Benny is legit. There is so many good actions and abilities on his card. Pretty much an auto-take. 

7 hours ago, Virtus said:

I hear Hamelin just won NOVA. Hopefully, the list will be shared along with battle reports.

Please note that this tournament did not allow wave 5 it seems, but from Facebook this is what I've seen:

" Hamelin, piper and sewer king, AnD, Stolen, Obedient Wretch. The rest changes slightly game to game but often includes crooligans and Desolation Engine. "

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 5 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
Bishop (10)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Crooligan (4)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Malifaux Rat (2)
Malifaux Rat (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)
50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 6 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
Desolation Engine (13)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Crooligan (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 6 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
 - The Bigger They Are (1)
Bishop (10)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Crooligan (4)
Malifaux Rat (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)

games 3-5 of nova open in sequential order. Opponents were outcasts rezzers TT. I will be doing a theory rundown of all my games on the podcast Max Value in the week to come. 

• Like 2

On 04/09/2017 at 5:23 AM, Azrrael said:
50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 5 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
Bishop (10)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Crooligan (4)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Malifaux Rat (2)
Malifaux Rat (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)
50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 6 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
Desolation Engine (13)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Crooligan (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Hamelin + 6 Pool
 - The Piper (2)
 - Sewer King (1)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
The Stolen (2)
Ashes and Dust (13)
 - The Bigger They Are (1)
Bishop (10)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Obedient Wretch (4)
Crooligan (4)
Crooligan (4)
Malifaux Rat (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)

games 3-5 of nova open in sequential order. Opponents were outcasts rezzers TT. I will be doing a theory rundown of all my games on the podcast Max Value in the week to come. 

Looking forward to that! In no small part because I love to see Bishop actually get some table time!

7 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

Then you should watch all my dreadful defeats, and some wins. Bishop is often on the board! :)Will we get a link to that pod cast in here, Azrrael?

How do they make stolen better?

Where can I watch those?

And Plague Pits means that there is a LOT more blighted on the table, starting from turn 1, which means their Bleeding Disease attack is actually a real thing.

I build a Malifaux cemetary table, then an ice table, and made a blog about it along with countless battle reports with pictures but it's in Danish since I didn't expect a lot of interest. Nice pictures if you want to follow the steps in building the tables though.

Blog

So plague pits don't really make LOST better, just Bleeding Disease overall whomever wields it, right? I thought Lost had some specific benefit I had missed. :)

Edit: The Cemetary all done, can be hard to find in the first 10 pages:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt189/birke/birke136/graveyad done 019_zpshfpog06j.jpg

35 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

I build a Malifaux cemetary table, then an ice table, and made a blog about it along with countless battle reports with pictures but it's in Danish since I didn't expect a lot of interest. Nice pictures if you want to follow the steps in building the tables though.

Blog

So plague pits don't really make LOST better, just Bleeding Disease overall whomever wields it, right? I thought Lost had some specific benefit I had missed. :)

Edit: The Cemetary all done, can be hard to find in the first 10 pages:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt189/birke/birke136/graveyad done 019_zpshfpog06j.jpg

Yeah exactly - I still don't think Lost means anything except for that weird time you want baby kade in Hamelin...

The board looks really good! Danish, however, looks very hard!

• 1 month later...

Just bought the Hamelin box, since I'm loving the idea of the Blight mechanic. I don't have any other Outcasts at the mo, so can you seasoned pro's please point me in the right direction? A few requests:

- I'm not getting into Hamelin for rat-bombs/Ratjoy, or any other mass activation control . I just really like his theme, and the idea of Blight

- I'm a Brewmaster player, so I realise that the obvious playstyle isn't necessarily the best, or even completely functional (Brewy's Poison & Drinking Contest, Hamelin's Blight?)

- I'm not too worried about going for big beaters like A&D, Desolation Engine & Killjoy. I'd like to stay in theme (if any of those actually are in theme tho, please fill me in!)

- with that in mind, are the Winged Plague of any use?? I plan on getting some Crooligans, and I have Iggy, it might take me a while to get Baby Cade & Candy

- I'll grab the Brotherhood of the Rat box, of course!

Thanks!!

On 10/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Just bought the Hamelin box, since I'm loving the idea of the Blight mechanic. I don't have any other Outcasts at the mo, so can you seasoned pro's please point me in the right direction? A few requests:

- I'm not getting into Hamelin for rat-bombs/Ratjoy, or any other mass activation control . I just really like his theme, and the idea of Blight

- I'm a Brewmaster player, so I realise that the obvious playstyle isn't necessarily the best, or even completely functional (Brewy's Poison & Drinking Contest, Hamelin's Blight?)

- I'm not too worried about going for big beaters like A&D, Desolation Engine & Killjoy. I'd like to stay in theme (if any of those actually are in theme tho, please fill me in!)

- with that in mind, are the Winged Plague of any use?? I plan on getting some Crooligans, and I have Iggy, it might take me a while to get Baby Cade & Candy

- I'll grab the Brotherhood of the Rat box, of course!

Thanks!!

Honestly, theme is really hard to do with Hamelin. His only theme outside of Brotherhood is Winged plague which are ok, crooligans are just much much better. If you go with Sewer King and the lost theme, Baby Kade is a pretty solid beater especially with malifaux rats to count for his damage bonus. Candy is a pretty solid control model but she loses a lot by not having access to Fears Given Form.  Ashes is almost a must have with Hamelin, especially with Sewer King where he can be exploded for cards when you need him to be. NOtice that Hamelin has (0) beaters in theme, so you'll wanna grab something outside theme and maybe paint it to match so that you have some staying power.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Honestly, theme is really hard to do with Hamelin. His only theme outside of Brotherhood is Winged plague which are ok, crooligans are just much much better. If you go with Sewer King and the lost theme, Baby Kade is a pretty solid beater especially with malifaux rats to count for his damage bonus. Candy is a pretty solid control model but she loses a lot by not having access to Fears Given Form.  Ashes is almost a must have with Hamelin, especially with Sewer King where he can be exploded for cards when you need him to be. NOtice that Hamelin has (0) beaters in theme, so you'll wanna grab something outside theme and maybe paint it to match so that you have some staying power.

Thanks for that, @Mrbedlam. I've got to say, I do love the Ashes & Dust model, and it's a pretty psychotic 13 stones worth of ability.

Maybe I can stretch this self-imposed "theme" limitation just a little bit... ;-)

On 21/10/2017 at 2:35 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

I'd like to stay in theme (if any of those actually are in theme tho, please fill me in!)

You'll need 4 rat kings, rats, rat catchers, stolen, obedient wretch then maybe nix+hounds or kade, crooligans and rarely candy.

The trick is getting blight on models turn 1, out activate the enemy with rats and summoning engine, and use nix or hamelin to ensure blight on any forward stragglers.

Your reactivating rat king/kings will be able to charge as 1pt even if they've just been summoned.

Ideally you've landed blight on one to two models so turn two your rat kings and bleeding diseases will start kicking in.

I've personally not used winged plagues yet myself but have had then used against me and I imagine I will be adding them to the above list once I rotate back to outcasts.

Another model I've considered apart from wave 5 is ama no zako due to the whole blisters/boils/plague thing.

The trap for this styld of Hamelin is falling into running him as an obey master, obey for Hamelin is something I suggest for landing ratkings charges or maneuvers that require positioning etc for schemes or denial.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, Azrrael said:

If you really want to get into the theme use hamelins plague cloud as your big ashes and you can make the other two pieces with some customization of sewer bases and a rat swarm 

That's a nice idea. I actually prefer the new plastic Hamelin without that cloud on the front, so that'd work. See - it's good to think outside the box, right? :-) Thanks, @Azrrael

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, whodares said:

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you get your rat engine going like that? I've been looking at Hamelin as a fun master, but I can't see how you can get it started on Turn 1 with those lists as you need 4 rats to do it.

Stolen can turn into 2 rats. Obedient wretch can summon 2 rats (by attacking if you have the suits in hand, or just by sacrifice if you don't) so those 2 models are enough to get the engine running even if you have 0 rats in your starting pool. 

7 minutes ago, whodares said:

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you get your rat engine going like that? I've been looking at Hamelin as a fun master, but I can't see how you can get it started on Turn 1 with those lists as you need 4 rats to do it.

It sure what you mean. By this the obedient  wretch can usually summon at least one rat while a stolen makes two. Hamelin also usually summons two stolen opening turn if not one. So perfect hand is 8+ mask/tome another 8+ of anything and any two crows preferably non face cards. This is pretty common to get at least half of these requirements and if you use the rats you do get to cycle through some of your deck and you count your crows you have a good chance of hitting the crows naturally.

3 minutes ago, Adran said:

Stolen can turn into 2 rats. Obedient wretch can summon 2 rats (by attacking if you have the suits in hand, or just by sacrifice if you don't) so those 2 models are enough to get the engine running even if you have 0 rats in your starting pool. 

2 minutes ago, Azrrael said:

It sure what you mean. By this the obedient  wretch can usually summon at least one rat while a stolen makes two. Hamelin also usually summons two stolen opening turn if not one. So perfect hand is 8+ mask/tome another 8+ of anything and any two crows preferably non face cards. This is pretty common to get at least half of these requirements and if you use the rats you do get to cycle through some of your deck and you count your crows you have a good chance of hitting the crows naturally.

Would you let the wretch attack the existing rats then? Damaging other models, even for 1 damage, seems like a bit of a waste. Do you try to max the amount of activations you can get by placing the rats apart from eachother? I mean by placing 1 rat outside of the 3" bubble, run the other rats to it and then activate that rat to go KING mode?

The Stolen can turn into rats, but that's only on Turn 2 if they are summoned in as that action is a (2) action. Unless the new Malifaux app is wrong in that regard ofcourse. I don't have the books, so I'm working with the app :)

A different question perhaps: I've read something about a Killjoy delivery service. Does this require "Infectious Melodies" or is there another reliable way of getting it done? Can't always count on my opponent killing my rat for me.