Vermin & Friends

The Totems

Hamelin has access to several totems, but you can only choose one of them!

The Stolen

The Stolen are rare 3, but don't have a rule that let you start with more then one. It's only a limit on how many you can summon. They have a stat line that's worse then rats, but have other tricks availabe to them to make up for it. Insignificant is basic for peons, sickly lets them count as blighted when killed (Important for voracious rats). Their more important abilities are Diseased and Horrible Realization. The first is a :aura 3 that gives enemies in the aura blighted when they activated. The second is a :pulse 3 when they are killed or sacrificed. Enemies in the pulse need to pass a lowish wp test or gain paralyzed. As their actions, they have a forgettable melee attack, the powerful bleeding disease option, and a (2) action that sacrifices the stolen, but summons two rats in their place.

Overall they are a good purchase, but mind the fact that they have a mere 1 wound and no damage migation tricks. Also, Hamelin can summon them for free with his (0) action. 

Malifaux Child

The second of the Lost totems, the Malifaux child costs as much as a stolen, but offers different tricks. He has a weak, paried, knife attack. A healing trick which requires a suit, and Just Like You, an action that copies a single Ca action of the master he's accompanying. This action can be taken only once a turn, and the copied action suffers a ca decrease, but gains a :+fate on the attack, but a :-fate on damage. None of Hamelin's ca action have a damage flip, so that is usually ignored. The main usage of this, is of course, crancking out additionals of Hamelin's Ca actions with positive flips. 

A solid purchase, but require some build around and thought out tactics when you use them, as Lure Malifaux Citizen will murder the Child when you summon a Stolen. Keep this in mind.

Student of Conflict

The Sister-totem. I personally find it the weakest of the totems for Hamelin. It certainly has uses, but I haven't seen them yet. If you're taking this one, you are taking it for the Fast buff it hands out with it's (2).

The Vermin

The reason why you are playing Hamelin. For doubts, see the title of my thread.

Malifaux Rats

Rats! Cheap and weak. Peons, Insignificant, Puny (no disengaging strikes from nibbeling rats), and Plagueborn (They can't get blighted, so no rats from death rats... unless they are enemies) A Cg of - and Ml of 4 attacks with a 0/0/1 damage track doesn't make them the biggest hitters on the table. However, unlike others, the cards flipped actually matter, as weak hands out blighted +1, moderate gives blighted +2, and finally severe stacks blighted +3. Their :crow trigger, Swarm, increases their ml by the number of other rats within 1" of the target, increasing their already respectable ml.

Of course you could hire rats to start with.... except Rats can also be aquired from several other sources. Hamelin and Rat catchers can summon them withs the Voracious Rats ability, which summons a single rat when an enemy (or a blighted friend) is killed within :aura 6. You only get one rat from this ability, so it's better to spread out. You can also summon rats with the Catch and Release and Stink of Death triggers, both which summon a rat when damaging. (Catch and Release only works on enemies, Stink of Death needs the target to stay alive). Lastly, Stolen and the Obedient Wretch can be sacrificed with their Inevitable Fate action, which summons 2 rats in base contact. 

Despite not having disengaging strikes, Rats can be utilized to block charges and interact actions (both which can't be taken while engaged) and can be used to block charge lines.

When Rats get together, their tails become Tangled. When a Rat activates with 3 or more other rats within 3" (no matter the controller!) , they are all sacrificed and become a Rat King. 

Rat King

These guys aren't the despotic overlords of their race, but rather rats whose tails have become connected. As everyone knows, a single rat is no threat, but a lot definitly are. Rat Kings have become significant minions, and lost puny. In exchange, they gained Bore, which forces enemies into a wk duel or receive slow when the Rat King ends a move in b2b with them. Into the Swarm allows them to repelenish their numbers by sacrificing all rats within 3" and heal 1 for each rat sacrificed. Lastly, Drawn to Contagion allows them to take (1) Charges against blighted enemies. They still have Plagueborn, preventing them from gaining Blighted.

On the combat front, they also improved. Their attack, Swarm of Yellow Teeth, deals actual damage on top of blighting the target. (But only giving blighted +1) and has 2 triggers. It's :tome trigger, Overwhelm, let's them make additional attacks, and their :crow trigger, Spray of Filth, allows them to blight everything within :pulse 6 when they kill an enemy.

Out of their tactical actions, (0) Gnaw let's them push into base contact with a scheme maker within 5" before eating it. This can be used to remove troublesome scheme markers or to allow you to gain some additional movement before setting up a deadly charge. It's final action, Rat Problem, sacrifices the Rat King and all Rats within 3" to summon a Rat Catcher and a lone rat.

I recommend against hiring Rat Kings, as it's often more profitalbe to hire 4 Malifaux Rats, deploy them to make sure they can join each other easily when you want it, so that you can smear it's activation out over the four rats and the Rat King itself, gaining several out activations in the process.

The Nihilists

The Nihilists are Hamelin's actual supporters, and provide ways to improve his abilities or gain more rats.

Nix

Nix is Hamelin's henchmen, and is a nasty piece of work. He has low wounds, but has Incorporeal (halving damage from non-ca attacks) and the best condition defense in the game, Nihilism. To top this off, he has Sweet Taste of Failure, healing 1 damage when an enemy model fails a duel within :aura 3 and Weakness, which reduces any Severe damage from models within :aura 3 to Moderate damage. 

On action front, he has Feed On Anima a :melee attack that hands out blighted, as well Bleeding Disease. Other actions are both (0) actions. Drink Spirit is a :pulse 4 that forces non-nihilists to pass a wp 15 duel or gain blighted. Usually, this is used to put blighted on range or to put blighted on friendlies (for Voracious Rats purposes) His second (0), Plague Pit, gives him a :aura 6 that denies enemies with Blighted +4 from taking interact actions, giving Hamelin another tool to prevent interactions.

Hollow

Hollow is Nix' personal upgrade, so it's gets a mention here. For 2ss, Nix gains a slew of new abilities and an action. First of them, Release the Hounds, allows crews that include Nix to hire all Hound models. His second ability, Drawn to Contagion, allows him to charge blighted enemies as a (1) action, a trick that you can set off with other models or with Drink Spirit. His last action, Hollow, is yet another (0) action that activates an :aura 5, which prevents friendlies from receiving damage from :blast , ;pulse , and :aura effects. This is a huge boost to the surviability of Rats, Stolen and other squishy models.

Obedient Wretch

Aka "Hamelin's second totem". Like Stolen, she has Diseased, Sickly, and Horrible Realization. Unlike stolen, she is a minion, has more wounds and can Toss Rats. This is a weak, and short ranged  :ranged action, but it has a the :crow Stink of Death trigger, which summons a Rat in base contact with the target, if it is still alive. She also has the omnipresent Bleeding Disease action, as well Inevitable Fate, allowing you to sacrifice her for rats.

Stink of Death also triggers on friendlies. Rats are good targets for this, as they are unlikely to be killed by this (severe damage only) and are most likey to form into a Rat King after a few tosses.

Rat Catcher

Rat Catchers are usable minions. They are limited by rare 2, as they can be summoned. The Catchers have a lot of rat support tricks as well being supported by rats, Voractious Rats, allowing for the summoning of Rats, Covered in Rats, which gives a catcher Armor +1 for each rat they are in base contact with. They also have Don't Mind Me, allowing them to drop scheme marker when they are engaged. 

Their main attack action is their (t)Rusty Trap, which does low damage as well blighting, but has several triggers to make up for it. All of these triggers are always available, as the Trap includes the :crow nescessary for them all. The first trigger, :crow Catch and Release, summons a Rat in base contact with enemy target. Remeber to summon the rat also in base contact with the Catcher himself to gain benefit from the Covered in Rats ability. The second trigger, :crow Rusted Shut, gives slow to the target. The final trigger, :crow Quarantine, increases damage by 2, provided the target had blighted +3 before the attack was initiated.

A Rat Catcher's tactical action works only when rats are present. The first, (0) Rotting Odor, places any number of rats within 5" of the catcher into base contact with the catcher, granting makeshift armor or setting the summoning of a Rat King. The second, Moldy Cheese, gives target Vermin (Rats or Rat Kings) reactivate. Best utilized on Rat Kings, but sometimes it's also useful to put it on a single Rat. When targetting a Malifaux Rat, this action gains +4 Ca, needing a mere 4 to be used.

The only nihilist model without Bleeding Disease.

Bonus trick: The Rat Catcher summon chain.

Have 2 stolen, then sacrifce both for rats, activate 2 rats to move closer to each other, then have the third form into a rat king. Then sacrifice the Rat King to make a Rat Catcher and a Rat. This chain requires 6 activations in order to be used, and ending up with 2 additional actavtions. You also managed to turn 4ss worth of models into 8ss. Not ever Gremlins can out-activate you! (Mostly)

The Lost 

With the Sewer King upgrade, you can hire up to four out of faction Lost models.

Candy

Candy is Pandora's henchkid, and has several tricks available. Her main trick, Sweet & Sour are affected when an enemy activates first or last within :aura 3 of her. With Rats, you have a lot of activation control availabe to you, so it should be easy to determine who activates last. Who actives first is harder to control. Her Goodie Bag can also be used to heal others, most likely Survialist Hamelin. Candy is a solid choice on her own and doesn't need much support.

Baby Kade

Baby Kade has a lack of Teddies in the outcasts, but he gains a new best friend: Rats. His knife deals +2 damage while another model is engaged with him, most likely a rat. He also has a low Ca Lure, which can also be utilzed to draw enemies you want closer, in case you want to conserve Hamelin's AP.

Iggy

Iggy is an odd piece. He has Matyr, allowing him to take 1 damage for other Woe models (Candy & Baby Kade). His Ignition and Playing With Matches actions hands out burning, which doesn't much synergise with Hamelin, but setting models on fire never hurts (unless you are set on fire, of course) His better tricks, are Incite, which hands out Mood Swing, allowing you for more activation control, and Throw a Fit, which gives -2 wp to unactivated enemies within :aura 6. Overall, not too bad, but there are more useful choices.

Crooligan

Such as crooligans. Crooligans do one thing: running schemes and strategies. And they do it well. From the Shadows let's you deploy them where you need them and Always on the Move let's you redeploy them within 5" when they use an interact action. They can utilize The Mist to generate a :aura 4 coverThis cover can also be used by other models. (such as rats) Lastly, Creepy gives them a :aura 1 which reduces wp by 1, allowing you to land Bleeding Diseases more accuralty  When you need interact actions, Crooligans are your boys & girls.

The Hounds

Giving Nix the Hollow upgrade allows you to hire all 2 Hound models. Note that Nix is not a Hound. (Despite all evidence on the contradory)

Guild Hounds

Guild Hounds are cheap, fast, and strong missles that aren't insigificant while within :aura 5 of another friendly Hound. Overall, they are very useful models due to their cheapness and speed. No wasted points there.

Canine Remains

Undead hounds, Canine remains reduce df of enemies by 1 within :aura 1. Their digging of corpses is not that useful for Hamlin or Nix. Overall Canine Remains are useful scheme runners and good at babysitting their living cousins, the Guild Hounds. Not a bad choice for objective runners.

The Rest

Non thematic choices.

Overall, there is no issue with taking non-thematic choices, as Hamelin is a flexible master. Models that are either heavy hitters (Taelor, Killjoy, Lazarus) or don't require other (many) thematic options are all solid options. Don't be sad with a lack of rats, you can always summon more!

Killjoy

Everyones favorite cleaverhurling abomination! Killjoy is a solid choice for heavy hitter. You can make use of the Melodic Rat Delivery Servicetm in order to deliver him where you want. You take Infections Melodies, a Rat, and a buried Killjoy. Then, you make the Rat fast, let it cover 15" of ground, before it dies. Then, you spawn Killjoy where the rat died. Simple, but effective. Decreases in effectiveness when people are expecting it. 

Hodgepodge Effigy

Effigies are damn good. All of them. The outcast one is no exception. It's (0) gives Hamelin Loyality of the Coin, a condtion that allows Hamlin to discard a card when he kills or sacrifices an enemy model in order to gain a soulstone. As Hamelin has a basic cache of 1, this is always useful. The Effigy can also generate The Mist.

• Like 9

Survialist

Not Hamelin exclusive, but deserved a special metion here. Most importantly, it grants him ridicilous levels of defense in the form of Hard to Kill. Hard to Kill works hand in hand with Lure of Emptiness, soaking attacks in tandem. First, hard to kill goes off, reducing you to 1 wound. Then, lure of emptiness goes off, healing you above Hard to Kill thresshold.. It's a limited upgrade, so you'll have to forgo the Piper for this, but it's certainly worth the ss if you find that you die too often.

Oh, it also grants :+fate on healing flips. 

Is Survivalist really limited?

I suspect the question intended was something akin to "How many Rats do you need to be sure that you'll always have enough in 50SS games?"

I have 12, and I've never had them all out at once, but I've had up to 10 in unusual circumstances - in general, I think you could get by with 8.

Survialist

Not Hamelin exclusive, but deserved a special metion here. Most importantly, it grants him ridicilous levels of defense in the form of Hard to Kill. Hard to Kill works hand in hand with Lure of Emptiness, soaking attacks in tandem. First, hard to kill goes off, reducing you to 1 wound. Then, lure of emptiness goes off, healing you above Hard to Kill thresshold.. It's certainly worth the ss if you find that you die too often.

Isn't it the case that Survivalist would reduced you to only 1 wound if you suffered damage which would reduce you to zero?  You do not actually enter a state of killed/sacrificed since you never hit zero health remaining so Lure of Emptiness does not trigger then I believe.  Now if you suffered damage again, you would trigger Lure and could sac a model to go to 4 health and above the Hard to Kill level.

Isn't it the case that Survivalist would reduced you to only 1 wound if you suffered damage which would reduce you to zero? You do not actually enter a state of killed/sacrificed since you never hit zero health remaining so Lure of Emptiness does not trigger then I believe. Now if you suffered damage again, you would trigger Lure and could sac a model to go to 4 health and above the Hard to Kill level.

That was his point.

Isn't it the case that Survivalist would reduced you to only 1 wound if you suffered damage which would reduce you to zero?  You do not actually enter a state of killed/sacrificed since you never hit zero health remaining so Lure of Emptiness does not trigger then I believe.  Now if you suffered damage again, you would trigger Lure and could sac a model to go to 4 health and above the Hard to Kill level.

Exactly

Updated the Vermin & Friends post. 

Also updated the First post with a list of Blighted spread & interact. (Totally not stolen from the wiki)

Hey! Really, really great artice! Thanks for all the effort! :)
Could you maybe share your insights on the use of Ronin and Convict Gunslingers? I'd be really interested in those, as they appear to be more fitting to the derelict and reject style of a Hamelin Crew than Freikorps or Ama No Zako and are therefore an addition I'm particularly interested in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I had an extremely fun game with Hamelin in a 50SS Turf War game.

Here is my list

Screenshot_2014-05-18-12-24-29_zpsdabzw4

Basic tactics used:

Turn 1

Wretch tossed Rats at the Malifaux Rats creating 2 more rats.

Rat activates creating a Rat King.

Rat King sacrificed itself to make a Rat Catcher and a Rat.

Hamelin moves up summons a Stolen

Obeys the Wretch forward Twice

The Stolen that started the game 2 actions itself into 2 rats.

So on so forth.

All this was fairly easy to achieve. But I will admit it was card intense. But hey. I had them and I used them.

In turn two I had 2 rat catchers and a Rat king in play all for "free"

Killjoy was doing his thing and the Ronin were having fun at others expense

Overall I had a really fun time playing Hamelin and can't wait to do it again.

Trapper with an obey and someone with the I Pay Better upgrade is always going to be a good thing. Even Hans can work with it. Activate discard for focus shoot, focus again then obey the second focus shot out of him. Yaaaaay. As a note I will be trying this combo (Hamelin as master or not) tuesday.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4

(How i felt when I realized that was possible)

• Like 1