Yan Lo tactica!

Fenrisian

The fact that she can summon seishin on an 8+ which Yan Lo can pop with weak damage turn one for chi is pretty huge.

This turns Yan into a power house a lot quicker.

A combination with lightning dance could be to follow up with Hunpo Assault. Placing Yan out of harms way and back into your batteline. Great for nabbing important enemies without risking his life.

Lot of AP/effort though.  I find he's usually pretty good at generating his own Chi throughout the game.  It's one of the reasons he excels later in the game.  One thing to remember is to never attach his Ascendant upgrades at the beginning of the turn.  It's a (0) action so can be done at any point so get the bonuses from your Chi on your casting (especially if you are casting Spirit Barrage) and then attach them at the end.

Its a (0) point action on a henchmen and a (1) ap on a master.. Hardly a strain on AP imo. 

He isn't going to do much with the 1 AP on turn one or two generally.  Mid-Late game the Seishin can be used for healing flips or for granting blast/pulse immunities.

I can use porter to push him if I need extra movement. 

• Like 1

Yea I can see it being pretty good, I would definitely dump two 8+ cards (hopefully 8 to 10) for +2 to all my cha actions or +2 armor on two models later in the game, and the first two turns you won't really be doing much with Yan Lo anyway except for taking a potshot at an enemy trying to get 1 or 2 damage in on second turn.

Chi generation can depend on your play style. I'm no Yan Lo expert, but I easily passed the +3 on turn 3 despite having spent 4 on Upgrades at that point. I discarded cards in the first 2 turns, but after that  there was enough death about that he had more than I needed.

But I was playing a very aggressive Yan lo against Ophelia, so death was expected.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used yanlo to much but I think toshi acting as his summoner with a cadre of punk zombies/ashigaru/belles/toshi himself to be great models to take the spirit/2armor buff. Every game I try an utilize izamu he gets murdered because the only defense he really has is armor, most of my competition has taken him down in a single activation. I'm to the point where I would rather 2 punk zombies(h2w and h2k plus armor 2 after a buff?why the hell not? Wk4 is the only concern) or shikome(spirit already so it can get some ap use from yan'so upgrade) over izamu and 5-6 point minion. Also flesh constructs become really rude with toshiro/healing from yan/armor buffs. Turn them into komainu when they fall and they can start getting really nasty if your also sporting datsu. Those 2 are my favorite henchman duo with Kirai so I'm gunna give it a run with yan. Who isn't nearly as ss dependent. More as use for those 2 then..... Game night tonight so I'll let u guys know how my yanlo match goes with this theory in mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I want to keep this thread going so heres a Yan Lo tactic I don't see anyone mentioning. Jaakuna Ubume makes for a powerful model for Yan to lightning dance into. Adds some extra threat to the action. Jaakuna also synergizes with the spirit part of Fury of the Yomi and wears Armor +2 like a champ in combination with incorporeal.

• Like 1

I want to keep this thread going so heres a Yan Lo tactic I don't see anyone mentioning. Jaakuna Ubume makes for a powerful model for Yan to lightning dance into. Adds some extra threat to the action. Jaakuna also synergizes with the spirit part of Fury of the Yomi and wears Armor +2 like a champ in combination with incorporeal.

She's also just 1SS more than a Belle and can also Lure (although just at Ca6). I tend to bring one belle at least, so i'll try out Jakuuna instead.

Damn ... now i need that mini.

• 2 months later...

Yan Lo tech. 

Take a cheap minion. Turn 1 have Yan Lo discard for Chi. Yan Lo charges minion. Cheat for Severe. Gain a Chi. Second attack kills minion. Gain a Chi. Drop corpse marker. Yan Lo attaches Spirit Ascendent. Has a Chi left over. Toshiro summons an Ashigaru out of the Corpse.

Kind of expensive card wise as to insure this goes off you need to have a severe for the first damage, A low card to insure Yan Lo can hit the first swing with a strait result *as if you choice to match it is double negative*, and finally a 9+ for Toshiro's summoning *which might cost a stone*.  In the end you are trading up to half your hand, possible a stone, and some AP to get those extra 2 chi.  Against an aggressive list you might be in trouble depending on if that severe was your best card and you had to spend that 9.  In addition you are flipping several flips where if the Black Joker comes up it will complicate things more.

Not saying that it cannot work and I am sure some people go that route but could also be risky.

• Like 1

Turn 1 it's usually worth it.

Thats very opponent variable. I know I will have several games where I'm using my cards turn one to attack or defend. Plus any severe I can hold back from turn 1 makes turn 2 easier to plan. 

If you had just started with the Ashiguru, you are 2 chi down and 1 activation, but 3 AP up (well maybe 1 and a half, as yuo could have spent the 2 walking instead of charging, and have only lost a little distance), in addition to the how every many cards you spent on making the attacks and summon work. 

Personally I wouldn't ever go into a game planning to do this unless I really needed the get Spirit on the first turn. I have had too many hands that haven't had a severe card in them to want to rely on this ever.  It the action was " (1) move 3" and gain a chi", but needed an 11+ card to cast, I don't think I would take the action 

Personally, when I play Yan Lo, I have managed to get all ascendant upgrades on him by turn 3 anyway. And Turn 2 I am probably not going to activate Yan lo Early, he will wait until its time to strike, so he will spend a lot of the turn just on Incorporeal or impossible to wound for me. 

( I am more likely to play him 10 Thunder, so I have recalled training, meaning that I can probably use that severe on my opponent on turn 2, and get the chi that way, which I generally prefer)

Personally, when I play Yan Lo, I have managed to get all ascendant upgrades on him by turn 3 anyway. And Turn 2 I am probably not going to activate Yan lo Early, he will wait until its time to strike, so he will spend a lot of the turn just on Incorporeal or impossible to wound for me. 

( I am more likely to play him 10 Thunder, so I have recalled training, meaning that I can probably use that severe on my opponent on turn 2, and get the chi that way, which I generally prefer)

This is the Resser forum though TT scumbag ;-)

Agree about the Chi and upgrades though. The 'free' Ashigaru/Komanii trick seems very nice but I think it's one that's much better in theory than reliability. This doesn't mean you can get big bonuses from it but I also wouldn't rely on it.

Edited by jonahmaul
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience with using Yan Lo, I've encountered the following:
(Mind you, I've only played him as a TT Master, but I feel that the logic still applies, since it doesn't change his playstyle that much)

1.  I've yet to encounter a problem with him gaining Chi too slowly.  While the idea of bringing Datsue Ba to make cheap targets to kill off for it is nice, I think taking her for that purpose alone wouldn't be viable, unless I was expecting to encounter models with Armor.  TT don't have the ability to summon cheap models to kill (at least not the same way Datsue Ba can), but that's hardly been an issue for me here.

2.  After reading this tactica forum, it would seem that Nurses are pretty important to Yan Lo as a Ressers Master.  They're great secondary healers, and great at buffing the crew in general.  Instead of trying various ways of getting Yan Lo's chi up on your own crew, I would focus on keeping  your crew alive longer, and making your crew more reliable at taking down the opposition.  Target prioritize, and kill things that are relatively easier to boost the Chi.  It also never hurts to bring a couple of minions yourself to sacrifice to your enemies for this same reason.  And with Toshiro on the crew, they're not hard to bring back.  I have no problems with pushing my Ashigaru straight towards my enemy to start my turn.  Just be mindful of schemes like Make Them Suffer and if you're playing Reckoning.

3. The Emissary is completely awesome with Yan Lo, and makes Brutal Khakkhara all that much better.  I haven't played him with the Carrion Emissary yet, but Shards of Kythera is another great way to get a cheap model on the board (that can also count as a Corpse Marker when needed by Toshiro).  Attach an upgrade on the same turn it gets to activate, and the Emissary then gains Fast.  Best of all, it also counts as an Ancestor for Yan Lo.  What's not to like? :)

Edited by Rurouni Benshin