The Mechanical Rider needs to be nerfed.

Icemyn

Yup, experience is definitely the best teacher. Also, just a heads up, Leveticus also ignores armor, hard to wound, and hard to kill, but he can do it from 12 inches. Plus he has a trigger on the same spell that negates damage prevention with soulstones. Gotta love those Outcasts and their shenanigans, right? :)

Sounds like a massive c$#! Fortunately most of my group seem to like playing guild.

Not jumping on the "omg cuddle!!" wagon, but.... am I the only one that thinks attacking the WP of stubborn models isn't exactly easy.  Focussing first basically cuts your AP in half.

Or require you to go after said model with a henchman or master.

The player who won the tourney didn't take the mech rider in any of his games. my conclusion therefore is that the entire Arcanist faction is broken and needs to be nerfed. Get to it Justin!!!!!!!

They're already Arcanists. What else could I do to them? Make them Gremlins?

Faced a reactivating mech rider tonight - prevented it getting into a position to drop scheme markers for breakthrough and also took it down to a single wound remaining (and would have killed it if my opponent hadn't flipped RJ on defence on one last attack) - which prevented a point for bodyguard too.

Won 7-2

That can't be right. The gremlins don't have a rider.

...Unless you count the dude3 on a chicken, I guess.

You saw the cover for Chronicles 11, right?

Gremlins will get their rider in Book 3, and it will be a Hare-brained Rider.

Unless that was a "rooster" (figures on Gremlins not knowing the difference, they probably think Rabbits lay multi-coloured eggs)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so new player here, still trying to figure out what crew I want to play... reading 8 pages of this I would summarize it as... 

M Rider- model may be slightly more effective than spending points/stones on other models because of the number of things it can do (swiss army knife of models) but it must be carefully protected for a few rounds where it might not be very high scoring/effective, and if your opponent weakens it or kills it quickly, (and there are plenty of things that can counter this model) it wont be worth the cost you paid for it.

yup sounds like a strategy game to me. 

I don't remember who it was that was saying it, but before the game he thinks about his opponent and what he might have to counter before he builds his crew... yeah that's pretty much any miniatures game, and includes every miniature/power/ability in the game. Is this model some how so OP that nothing can counter it? 

I'm new but so far nothing said in these last 8 pages has in any way convinced me this model is OP.  Its effective sure, but it can be countered (and apparently fairly easily with a little forethought), but what model isn't that true of? Should a game company really come out with a big expensive model that's totally mundane, excels in no areas, and generally has no advantages over any other model in just about every situation? 

Game balance is important, but if every model is entirely balanced in every situation there is no strategy. 

I think that power at high SS levels is really hard to judge, and while it can be OP in certain situations, and might even be a hair OP in most situations, we just don't have the data yet to determine anything concrete.

Justin said he was going to retest it, and we never heard differently, so at this point, either he retested it, and found nothing out of design parameters, or he got busy and has yet to test it. either way, don't expect any changes before July.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow dudes!!! That's how ya make an argument/debate come complete circle four or five times over :) we even start losing certainty in who's for or against a bit of a cuddle....

Just for the record, I'm all for a big fat saddle cuddle.

Purely based on the fact that i love malifaux for the fun/madcap/fluff side of the game, and rarely play "competitively". Even when I play "competetively" I still like to try and deal with a regular power gaming opponent with a relatively simple, self explanitory, fluffy list... Aww don't all the minis look cool all dressed the same?! In the interest of makin the game more fun I have no problem at all with taking stupid and sometimes unnecessary risks to maybe speed up play or cause a little unexpected chaos ( something my power gaming friends would never dream of doing ), all for a little more fun or hiatus.

That said my bugbear with the mech, is that when faced with a model that can spam it's own cost in extra models, while placing scheme markers like there is no tomorrow, while being able to move out of engagement range without reprisal.... And most of this while not askin for much more than mid range cards and 2 turns of intelligent,safe movement ?! It's about as much fun as being hit with a first edition alp bomb... (Not in terms of game mechanics, but in terms of heart and excitement during a game) Or to me, as much fun as hitting someone with it... None.

I'd like to see a cuddle, if even just to bring my power gaming chums back to selecting a crew.

The inevitability that is faced when facing the mech (unless the opponent screws up he's gonna own the board), I think, kinda detracts from the craziness that I've come to love about malifaux...

Jus' sayin' ;)