Threadomancy?

My understanding of general netiquette is that threadomancy is frowned upon mostly in two cases

1) if the threadomancer doesn't add anything of value to the thred.

2) if the thread is so old as to contain outdated information.

Then there's the third category of resurrecting extremely contentous threads, but that is a bit more difficult to judge.

MythicFox closed this thread:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/98666-joss-base-size/

And I don't understand why.

I resurrected this thread of mine from July 2011:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/71345-my-gremlin-workbench/

Was it against the rules?

Are all threads over a month old verboten territory? How can I tell which ones are and which ones aren't. I'd hate to write a long and thoughtful post only for the thread to get instantly locked (and I wish to also abide by the rules and not add to the moderators' workload).

• Like 1

There are no inherent rules against ressurecting an old thread. (I do it all the time) If the thread was locked, it's likely that it had degenerated into fight between posters, or some other form of unacceptable/offensive material. As such, the thread was likely locked to stop the fighting, and the offensive material removed. (which is why you no longer see a reason why it was locked, as that reason has been removed)

Hope this helped.

As of my posting, your painting thread is not locked, nor should it be, as your post and subsequent replies are fully on topic, nothing is out of date, no other thread exists for the material and nothing offensive has been posted.

The Base size thread was a question about Joss that went on a tangent off topic.  The resurrection post was therefore off topic and as Justin noted, there have been other threads on the topic.

At least that's my view of the situation.

In my opinion personal painting threads, as long as they remain on topic (ie: are posting newer pictures or comments on posted pictures), should never be locked for thread necromancy.

• 7 months later...

OK, this topic is again topical. MythicFox again closed a thread and I have no idea why:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102393-previews-from-last-night/page-8?

HiveCommander added to the thread his view point and it was on topic. Why was this thread locked? Is there a guideline about these things and is my thread (linked in the OP) in danger? Why or why not? What about this thread? Will this be locked. Why or why not?

• Like 1

I would have closed the thread myself if I could have. The reason is simple enough: If you are going to apologize for resurrecting old thread you should never have done it in the first place. The thread as a whole was pretty outdated too, because most of the images in it were already published in the book and thus no longer previews.

I would have closed the thread myself if I could have. The reason is simple enough: If you are going to apologize for resurrecting old thread you should never have done it in the first place.

Eh, that's silly. It's a figure of speech mostly these days. Like "pardon my French" or something. I mean, would you have felt the urge to close this thread, had I apologized for resurrecting it when posting?

The thread as a whole was pretty outdated too, because most of the images in it were already published in the book and thus no longer previews.

The art is still current and having an opinion on it is perfectly valid.

OK, this topic is again topical. MythicFox again closed a thread and I have no idea why:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102393-previews-from-last-night/page-8?

HiveCommander added to the thread his view point and it was on topic. Why was this thread locked? Is there a guideline about these things and is my thread (linked in the OP) in danger? Why or why not? What about this thread? Will this be locked. Why or why not?

My thought process in the case you link to was three-fold;

1. The topic title is now misleading, 'Previews from Last Night' popping back to the top of the forum is bound to get people clicking in there looking for some shiny new stuff and be disappointed. Which is how I wound up finding this thread myself.
  2. The thread itself was contentious, and had been given a general 'calm down' warning  and I didn't want to risk it reheating and getting people in trouble.
  3. The new post didn't really add any value. 

I'll generally lock necro'd threads where one of the above is a risk, or where the as the time disjoint between most recent posts makes them confusing to read for users as a conversation. If you want to talk about something you find in a necro thread then most of the time it's much cleaner for you to start a new thread and reference the old one.  It makes more narrative sense for other forum users to read.

That said some threads are neutrally going to be long running and have big time gaps, like personal painting / project threads, or discussion threads focussed on a specific master. Eg the generic Marcus thread in the Arcanist section. I wouldn't normally lock these just because they're old.

As a rule of thumb, if I stumble across a thread and I personally get confused by it because of necro, the thread gets locked.

If you do see a thread that you don't think should be locked bring it to my (or another mods) attention. I'm always happy to recieve feedback on my moderating. Otherwise I won't get the balance right for you guys. :)

Eh, that's silly. It's a figure of speech mostly these days. Like "pardon my French" or something. I mean, would you have felt the urge to close this thread, had I apologized for resurrecting it when posting?

I feel the urge every time I see someone apologizing for necroing threads. Lucky for you, I don't have the power to close them. (I also happen to think that you should not apologize for posting to an old thread for valid reasons.)

The topic title is now misleading, 'Previews from Last Night' popping back to the top of the forum is bound to get people clicking in there looking for some shiny new stuff and be disappointed. Which is how I wound up finding this thread myself.

It's true - whoever came up with that topic title should be ashamed of themselves... ;):D

But seriously, I do understand this reasoning. Can you change topic titles with your mod powers? If you can, it's maybe something to consider in the future in similar cases as an alternative to locking.

The thread itself was contentious, and had been given a general 'calm down' warning  and I didn't want to risk it reheating and getting people in trouble.

Which was a weird warning in itself, I thought. I mean, I do think that "cool it down" type of messages are a very good moderation policy and I'm all for them, but I think that your trigger finger on them is awfully twitchy and you throw them out extremely easily. Especially so in situations where the general tone of the thread is negative (since people are dissatisfied with some aspect of the game or the company or whatever) but there isn't any hostility between the posters and the debate is wholly respectful. In other words, you seem to consider negativity as being worked up and needing to calm down.

In any case, it had been perfectly calm for several pages.

The new post didn't really add any value.

I thought it did. It was an articulate post of moderate length that presented a view point and the background and reasoning behind it. I think that you should err definitely on the side of posts being valuable more often than not. Had it been a one-liner (the classic "I agree" of threadomancy) I would've agreed but I don't think that Moderators should be the arbiters what is a valuable contribution and what is not when it is far less clear-cut than that.

I'll generally lock necro'd threads where one of the above is a risk, or where the as the time disjoint between most recent posts makes them confusing to read for users as a conversation. If you want to talk about something you find in a necro thread then most of the time it's much cleaner for you to start a new thread and reference the old one.  It makes more narrative sense for other forum users to read.

But the problem is that the old-timers who participated in the original thread will remember what was said in there while the new-comers won't. All in all I feel that preserving the context is important and starting a new thread removes that. Now, if the original thread is really long, that also destroys the context since new posters can't be expected to read it all but I don't think that this particular thread had reached that length yet.

That said some threads are neutrally going to be long running and have big time gaps, like personal painting / project threads, or discussion threads focussed on a specific master. Eg the generic Marcus thread in the Arcanist section. I wouldn't normally lock these just because they're old.

This is good to know.

I'm always happy to recieve feedback on my moderating. Otherwise I won't get the balance right for you guys. :)

I'm very happy to hear that and decided to therefore give my views. I wish to stress that I don't find you a bad Moderator or anything like that. Nor do I find this particular locking a horrid crime or anything. But I do think that locking threads too easily is bad for the forums, in a small way, and I do believe that you can do better.

So yeah, bottom line, thank you for your patience in answering my concerns and taking them into consideration! Much appreciated!

Finally, as a random aside, I was super happy to see you updated your Blog. I missed reading about your exploits on the UK tournament scene! :)

• Like 2